Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest music video ever ?

• 08-06-2018 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

For me its November Rain by guns n roses.it tells the story very well, well acted and a great song, plus its quite long and really grabs the attention ! Can ye beat that folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Hello by Martin solveig I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

For me its November Rain by guns n roses.it tells the story very well, well acted and a great song, plus its quite long and really grabs the attention ! Can ye beat that folks.

I'll see your november rain pastiche and raise you a Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Has to be the Avalanches - Forntier Psychiatrist. The old mans head on the turtle gets me everytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Pfffffft... it's obviously Beastie Boys - Sabotage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Always loved this, a great song too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Jimmy Eat World - The Middle.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Senature

One by Metallica is pretty thought provoking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

sxt wrote: »
    Aha take on me

I second that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bob Dylan subterranean homesick blues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,797 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I've always loved this video. It's nothing special but it was one you'd always sit to watch through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

No love for Windowlicker?

Gets a laugh from me every time. Skip to 04.30 if you're finding the intro a bit long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

^Perhaps not the best ever but one of my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

I've always loved this song and video, always brings a smile to my face..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Not a charting one but made by the fine people of the Old Grey Whistle Test.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Thriller by Michael Jackson was epic in its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The man himself and his masterpiece?

After that I'm with A-ha, Take on Me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭smurf492

R.E.M. Find the River is a masterpiece of song and video in my opinion... Beautiful lyrics and imagery in the video... Sorry i didn't link the video due to phone restrictions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

This was a staple on Vincent Hanley's MT USA every Sunday afternoon. A cheesefest from the 80's... the decade that defined the music video.

"Music Television... music never looked better"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The question is greatest music video ever.

They come in all shapes and forms and in more recent times they are just ****. But as for a music video, I don't think they come better than this one. Thriller by Jackson was up there but this particular one was awesome. Only A-Ha's animated stuff stood out afterwards. All that said, it's a dead trade of creativity now.

Enjoy. This is the short version.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Back when I was a young teenage lad I'd have said Britney Spears, "Hit me Baby one more time." But I think I'd have to go with Virtual Insanity by Jamiroquai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I liked a lot of the Pet Shop Boys ones like Heart, Domino Dancing, Rent and What Have I Done To Deserve This.

Bronski Beat Smalltown Boy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Air - All I Need

Daft Punk - Da Funk

Roger Sanchez - Another Chance

• Registered Users Posts: 36,202 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 36,202 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

At the time, 20 years ago, it was significant.

Generally its hard to seperate ones liking of a song from the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

A few spring to mind...
    1, Steven Wilson / harmony korine (filmed and imagined by Lasse Hoile, based on French impressionist cinema of the 60s)...
    2, the soundtrack of our lives / 'big time', the Swedish Oasis pull off the most freaked out video since Zappa's work with Bruce Bickford...
    3, Herbie Hancock / Rocket, once the most played video in the early days of MTV, and if I'm not mistaken, produced and directed by Kevin Godley of 10cc...
    4, which brings me neatly to Godly & Creme (10cc) / Cry, or better know as the face changer video, done way before computer morphing, a total genius labor of love...
    5, Michael Jackson / Thriller, MJ dancing, zombies, John Landis directing, Vincent Price guest vocal, Quincy Jones producing, ah dammit, sign me up...
    6, Kevin Gilbert / Kashmir, that rare thing, a fan made video (along with 'tea for one') with production values that belie its origins...a truly dark look at 80s and 90s Americana in all its forms...
    7, Johnny Cash / Hurt, there's not a lot I can say about this, but that it should melt the hardest heart, a perfect video tribute to a legendary performer...
    8, Dire Straits / money for nothing, should be up there for being one of the great early live videos, not forgetting the animations and a really great song...
    9, The Prodigy / Spitfire, Keith Flint 'in your face' , and I don't know whether I prefer the music video or the Guinness commercial video...
    10, and to round it up, Aphex Twin / Come to Daddy, still makes me want to go out in the garden and smash up televisions... Stone cold classic in any language...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

The Scientist from Coldplay is pretty cool in how it was shot backwards.

Advertisement