Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me catch the bug

Options
  • 08-06-2018 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

So i got my first road bike today as part of bike to work (great scheme). I was all excited to get out when the torrential turnderstorm started so will have to wait til morning to get out. In hindsight this is probably a good thing cause i don't know the first thing about how to ride a road bike.

1) i have pedels with clips and straps and i bought shoes too but no clips for them. How do i get my feet in and out of straps and tighten loosen them at lights etc?
    2) is there a specific gear you use for cycling of flat, up hills, down hills etc or just what feels comfortable?

Any tips or insight to get out for a spin tomorrow and come home in one piece?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

dump those pedals.

You want shoes that will take cleats - i suggest spd (not SPD-SL) which are generally known as mountain bike shoes. the benefit of these is you can walk in them without risk, with road bike shoes the cleat (the fitting that locks to the pedal) is below the sole so you are walking on metal not rubber.

You want pedals to match the shoes you buy.

You really really don't want to strap yourself into cage pedals because the answer to your question "how do i get my feet out at lights" is normally - you don't you slowly fall over but you do have the option of choosing whether you fall to the left or right.

These old cage pedals with straps are obsolete. for the last 20 years or more people use "clipless" pedals and shoes. Which is a misleading name because in fact they clip into the pedals, but they are called "clipless" to distinguish them from the pedals used in the 70s/80s which you have described, which you basically can't take your foot out of without raising, your foot, unstrapping, then doing the same for the other foot. That is fine for the end of a stage on the Tour de France, not so handy every time you come to a traffic light. those pedals do not need special shoes, trainers/runners are fine, though a rigid sole would be helpful.

Those pedals are also either not effective (you don't tighten them so you can take your foot out at lights) or really dangerous (you do tighten them so you can't take your foot out at lights). Modern pedals clip in more securely than a strap (they have an attachment (a cleat) that "locks" into the pedal) and unlock when you rotate your heel to the right.

Your cycling shoes presumably have a type of cleat that they accept, you need to buy the cleats & pedal that matches that cleat. or else buy a new set of shoes, cleats & pedals.

tbh it sounds like whatever shop sold you shoes, no cleats and strapped pedals is absolutely appalling. Where did you buy? honestly they sound like they need to be boycotted, was it actually a local bike shop? or maybe you bought from some chancer off done deal?

As to gears you just use what is comfortable. lowest gear for long steep hills, highest for downhill, close to highest for flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Congrats on your new bike!

What bike did you get?

I recommend you remove the straps from the pedals and just get used to pedalling with your feet in the cages first. The chances are you'll never use the straps anyway as there a bit of a pain to use.

Gears...how many gears does your bike have? Do you have 2 or 3 chainrings on the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Fian wrote:
    tbh it sounds like whatever shop sold you shoes, no cleats and strapped pedals is absolutely appalling. Where did you buy? honestly they sound like they need to be boycotted, was it actually a local bike shop? or maybe you bought from some chancer off done deal?

It's a very well know local bike shop in the Midlands. The day i went in to get the bike they were very helpful but i sent himself in today to collect it as i was busy in hindsight i should have gone myself and asked these questions!

These are the shoes they gave me. €90 https://goo.gl/images/x3QVYf. Anywhere else i can get cleats and peadles?
    07Lapierre wrote:
    What bike did you get?

Got a second hand but almost new specialized dolce for €500.
    07Lapierre wrote:
    Gears...how many gears does your bike have? Do you have 2 or 3 chainrings on the front?

2 on front 8 on back i think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

Personally, I would have started off with just ordinary pedals, rather than the toe-clips you have or the clipless + shoe combo suggested above. If you're only getting used to cycling on a road bike and aren't sure about gears etc. then ordinary pedals would be a bit less stress, and one less thing to "learn".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It's a very well know local bike shop in the Midlands. The day i went in to get the bike they were very helpful but i sent himself in today to collect it as i was busy in hindsight i should have gone myself and asked these questions!

These are the shoes they gave me. €90 https://goo.gl/images/x3QVYf. Anywhere else i can get cleats and peadles?

Got a second hand but almost new specialized dolce for €500.

2 on front 8 on back i think

Poor show that they gave you shoes that are useless with the pedals that are on the bike! For the moment, just use runners and the pedals you have (without the straps) and once you are more comfortable cycling, you can then look at upgrading the pedals.

Once you buy new clipless pedals, they will come with cleats, so the only decision you have to make is if you are going to upgrade to Shimano or look pedals. It's a personal choice and totally up to you. I'm a Look pedal man...only because they were the first clipless pedals I ever bought and I've stuck with them ever since.

Do get yourself a descent pair of padded cycling shorts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You’ve had the bike a few hours, probably time to start looking for an upgrade.

You can keep your “older” bike as a winter trainer.

07Lapierre wrote:
    Do get yourself a descent pair of padded cycling shorts!

plodder wrote:
    Personally, I would have started off with just ordinary pedals, rather than the toe-clips you have or the clipless + shoe combo suggested above. If you're only getting used to cycling on a road bike and aren't sure about gears etc. then ordinary pedals would be a bit less stress, and one less thing to "learn".

I did indeed get myself good shorts...thanks for tips

Carry spare tubes and tyre levers etc with you in a saddle/bike bag, saves patching a puncture on the side of the road. Practice changing them at home. Removing the wheels correctly, getting the tyre off and back on etc.

Some great youtube videos on these things.

You've the padded shorts covered but in case you don't know DO NOT make the mistake of wearing underwear with them, and have a look at getting some chamois cream if going a distance too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

With your shoes you can use SPD, SPD-SL and Look Keo (and presumably others with an adapter) as your pedals. SPDs are often recommended as they are sometimes double sided so easier to clip in, but the silver ones (not the black ones) are very easy to unclip from generally. SPD specific shoes are easy to walk around in too. These shoes would be hard enough to walk around in whatever way you go.

Be prepared to fall. It happens to us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Weepsie wrote: »
    With your shoes you can use SPD, SPD-SL and Look Keo (and presumably others with an adapter) as your pedals. SPDs are often recommended as they are sometimes double sided so easier to clip in, but the silver ones (not the black ones) are very easy to unclip from generally. SPD specific shoes are easy to walk around in too. These shoes would be hard enough to walk around in whatever way you go.

Be prepared to fall. It happens to us all.

You can, but I would strongly recommend against using SPDs with those road type shoes, as the protruding metal cleat (as opposed to road cleats which have some rubber grippers on the bottom and/or extremities) makes walking about as difficult as it could possibly be as there's no grip. You're basically getting the worst of both worlds, with only the advantage of double sided clipping in. And even that I imagine to be easier on MTB shoes, since the cleat recess should guide your foot on the pedal better.

cython wrote:
    You can, but I would strongly recommend against using SPDs with those road type shoes, as the protruding metal cleat (as opposed to road cleats which have some rubber grippers on the bottom and/or extremities) makes walking about as difficult as it could possibly be as there's no grip. You're basically getting the worst of both worlds, with only the advantage of double sided clipping in. And even that I imagine to be easier on MTB shoes, since the cleat recess should guide your foot on the pedal better.

So what would you recommend?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

SPD-SL or Look Keo.

I was also going a round about way of saying don't use those shoes with SPDs as they kind of defeat one of the main appeals of SPDs

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Why not start with normal pedals and get a feel for the bike before upgrading to either Shimano SPD-L or Look Keos. It's a beautiful day out there, get out and about and enjoy it while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Why is there such an insistence from so many on getting clipless pedals???

OP Start off in your regular runners till you get the hang of cycling and once you get more experience on the road and at junctions and in traffic then you can move to cliplless.

It should be possible to remove the cages from the pedals and if not go to your local bike shop and buy cheap flat pedals to get you started.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be worth keeping those shoes in their box (assuming you got them boxed) until you figure out which way you want to go, and see if you can return them, even for store credit, if you can.

what option you ultimately choose will depend on what use the bike will get - if you're going to be using it for commuting a lot, you may want to stick with basic pedals.

FWIW, i use SPD (the ones that allow you to walk relatively normally) and find they're a good compromise on a bike which is used for both commuting and 50k leisure spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭lau1247

I use the shimano A530 which is two sided (Example link).

Handy if you need to just pop down the road or if you have the proper gear.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

lau1247 wrote:
    I use the shimano A530 which is two sided (

Thanks for the link but the one that opens says single sided pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭lau1247

one side for clipless shoe and one side for normal shoe..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Just back from my first cycle. Took off cage and straps and just used runners. Covered 12km on county roads just to build confidence. Unfortunately didn't look up how to use cateye trip computer thing before heading out or gears so after a quick rest break after struggling up my 3rd big hill unable to downshift and a consultation with you tuble the second half of trip went much better.

Who would have thought pushing gear leaver sidewards moved down gears...not me for one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just back from my first cycle. Took off cage and straps and just used runners. Covered 12km on county roads just to build confidence. Unfortunately didn't look up how to use cateye trip computer thing before heading out or gears so after a quick rest break after struggling up my 3rd big hill unable to downshift and a consultation with you tuble the second half of trip went much better.

Who would have thought pushing gear leaver sidewards moved down gears...not me for one

Get yourself strava or map my ride on your phone to keep track of where you went and get stats etc, tastier than an on-board computer.

GreeBo wrote:
    Get yourself strava or map my ride on your phone to keep track of where you went and get stats etc, tastier than an on-board computer.

Had them but then had no where to put my phone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you want instant feedback, or feedback after the fact? i've never had an issue with putting the phone in a jersey pocket, if you're happy with getting after the fact stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Careful with the sneakers, depending on their shape. I have gold sneakers which are fun and nice to walk in, but on the bike they kept kind of sticking to the pedals; changed them for narrower sneakers and these were fine.

You can stick your phone in your pocket and use Strava on it, works fine, or even have it in a pannier or basket.

Those Shimano dual-use pedals look great.

There are many forms of gears, with levers or things that wind backwards and forwards on the handlebars; one of my early bikes even had levers on the crossbar, if I remember right.

You were able to get a secondhand bike on the Bike-to-Work scheme? Have they changed the rules?

Well wear on the new bike.

do you want instant feedback, or feedback after the fact? i've never had an issue with putting the phone in a jersey pocket, if you're happy with getting after the fact stats.

After fact is fine but didn't even have a jersey yet!

remember, cyclign jerseys have the pockets on the lower back - you can get them cheap enough depending on where you go. aldi or lidl; but if you have a sports world (formerly heatons), they stock muddy fox brand and are more likely to have fitting rooms. i got two jerseys there recently for €26; not the greatest quality but you can't beat the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

; but if you have a sports world (formerly heatons), they stock muddy fox brand and are more likely to have fitting rooms. i got two jerseys there recently for €26; not the greatest quality but you can't beat the value.

Dont bother with their shorts though, next to useless. Youd be more comfortable in a pair of cotton boxers!

Rechuchote wrote:
    Careful with the sneakers, depending on their shape. I have gold sneakers which are fun and nice to walk in, but on the bike they kept kind of sticking to the pedals; changed them for narrower sneakers and these were fine.

Wore my good Asics ones last night and they seemed to do grand! Thanks though
    Rechuchote wrote:
    You were able to get a secondhand bike on the Bike-to-Work scheme? Have they changed the rules?

Never thought of that actually. Guys in shop just gave me invoice for bike, shorts, helmet, lights and lock and i sent it to payroll
    remember, cyclign jerseys have the pockets on the lower back - you can get them cheap enough depending on where you go. aldi or lidl; but if you have a sports world (formerly heatons), they stock muddy fox brand and are more likely to have fitting rooms. i got two jerseys there recently for €26; not the greatest quality but you can't beat the value.

Must call into sportsdirect today so and get a jersey.

Can't see me getting on a bike for a while again with the pain in my bottom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Can't see me getting on a bike for a while again with the pain in my bottom!

If you've got a pain in your bottom, your bike is set up wrong. Go back to the bike shop and ask them to adjust the saddle and handlebars so they're correct for your shape - they may move the saddle up and down and/or back and forward, and the handlebars up and down.

You probably need to learn good use of th'oul legs too. Beginner cyclists tend to go pedal-pedal-pedal-freeeeeewheeeeel, pedal-pedal-pedal. This wastes energy because you're constantly having to build up momentum. Better to keep a gentle turn of the pedals going in a nice easy gear, so the momentum remains the same. And don't put the instep of your foot on the pedal, use the ball of the foot, so your foot is gently turning while you're pedalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Firstly forget the shoes, the jersey, Strava and all that jazz a while.

Cycled in runners and a t-shirt for 3 or 4 months myself when getting into it.

You have the shorts take care of them and wash after every cycle.
    You have the helmet and the lights.

You will need tubes and levers.
    See if Lidl or Aldi have saddle bag in stock.
    https://goo.gl/images/WzQG4T
    Then get 2 tubes and 3 or 4 proper levers from you local bike shop.
    Learn from them, youtube or someone useful how to change a tube. It's hard to get the rear off and on when your starting.

Until then make sure you've someone to call and collect you. If needed.

You obviously found from youtube how your gears work. Practice this and braking.

I'd also call back to the shop and get them to set you up on the bike properly. It's nice to be comfortable. See if they'll take the shoes back a while. Be a real pity if you go to use them in a couple of months and they don't fit right.

Do a little youtubing of defensive cycling. Mainly just don't cycle right in the dirt at the side or in where a car door would get you. Use your hand signals.....

The sore ass is a combo of the saddle and using new muscles. It'll get better every time you get out.

Advertisement