Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coast road rally

Options
  • 08-06-2018 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about the rally planned for the coast road on June 24th. Signs up between bunmahon and annestown.

I think it's madness to hold something like that on the coast road.

I'm being ignored by the council it seems. Surely they need to have planning or some kind of permission from the people living on the route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Sounds like you're just being a NIMBY unless your assertions are grounded in something...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Sounds like you're just being a NIMBY unless your assertions are grounded in something...

Grounded on something eh?

I say madness because the road closure with stop people going to four beach's that are usually packed on a Sunday in June.

Boatstrand is a working harbour.

The copper coast is a tourist route. I counted 10 campervans passing kilmurren in 30 mins last Sunday. Also 100s of cyclists pass by each Sunday.

I live on the route, I don't want to be locked in.
    Iv heard nothing from the organisers who want to block our road.

I could go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

A rally will bring visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is advertising on line for the Ravens Rock Rally on 24th June 2018, but no indication of what the route is, though WIT arena features as a focal point. There is no indication of any application for road closure either.

It appears that the ad for the rally is just an ad and does not mean that the rally will take placed on the coast road (which really would not be a good idea, or one that would be even contemplated by the county council). I haven't seen any ads myself, are they notifications of road closure?

Yup, right enough, there are notices up saying the road will be closed Sunday 24th June from 9am to 6pm. This is going to cause severe interference for people on this road - it isn't entirely clear where the closure starts and ends, but that is an all day closure.

I can see no indication on the Waterford Co Co road closures site that it has been approved, maybe it has but it is not at all clear. There are going to be some very quiet beaches and frustrated tourists on that Sunday.

Edit: there is no information on the Ravens Rock site/twitter etc either, they are dismally badly put together with more information about previous rallies than the 2018 one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Grounded on something eh?

I say madness because the road closure with stop people going to four beach's that are usually packed on a Sunday in June.

Boatstrand is a working harbour.

The copper coast is a tourist route. I counted 10 campervans passing kilmurren in 30 mins last Sunday. Also 100s of cyclists pass by each Sunday.

I live on the route, I don't want to be locked in.
    Iv heard nothing from the organisers who want to block our road.

I could go on...

If you have concerns or questions regarding this planned event then perhaps the best people to ask would be the Club that is organising it? They have a contact number .....

Also, if you "live on the route" you will have seen the notifications posted on poles on the route in question , and you will have been contacted in person by members of the organising clubs.

They will have called to your property in person on at least two occasions over the recent weeks to speak to you about this event and to hear any concerns or issues you might have regarding it.

You surely will have seen the notifications in the local papers( in mid May) by the Waterford county council and Gardaí advising of the upcoming road closures .

This event should bring in Circa 300 competitors and another 400-500 crew, thousands of spectators from all over this Island and the Uk ,all staying in local hotels , drinking in local pubs and buying stuff in local shops, does that count as Tourism?icon12.png

I was talking to a group of people this morning who live on the route or near enough to be directly affected by this event and none of them were aware that this was any more than the - 'oh yes they closed the road for an hour a few years ago'. None of them had been contacted. They were all astonished to realise this is an all day affair.

If there were notifications in the local papers they are no longer visible, and there is nothing on the Waterford CoCo website.

All staying in local hotels - yes that would be all the hotels along the Copper Coast, right? The only people to benefit will be those in Waterford and possibly Tramore, who will not have any of the inconvenience of being trapped in their homes for the day. Are there not enough roads around Carrick without using these roads? All that stuff about spectators and crew is of no benefit to the people on the Copper Coast, they will just have the pleasure of cleaning up after the hoards.

I would have been taking a visitor from the UK along that route on that Sunday to visit relatives. In the event I can go via the N25 and Kill to get there, but we will not get to see the coastline. And its tough luck to people who come for the drive along the road and to visit the beaches who will not know till they get here that the road is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

barney 20v wrote: »
    if you "live on the route" you will have seen the notifications posted on poles on the route in question , and you will have been contacted in person by members of the organising clubs.

They will have called to your property in person on at least two occasions over the recent weeks to speak to you about this event and to hear any concerns or issues you might have regarding it.

You surely will have seen the notifications in the local papers( in mid May) by the Waterford county council and Gardaí advising of the upcoming road closures .

This event should bring in Circa 300 competitors and another 400-500 crew, thousands of spectators from all over this Island and the Uk ,all staying in local hotels , drinking in local pubs and buying stuff in local shops, does that count as Tourism?icon12.png

No one has called into our house or any of our neighbours. You seem to know what's going on. Post some details of the routes here.

I'm no to bothered anymore. Others are taking this more seriously then me. A farmer down the road said "let them try and f#$kin stop me in my tractor"

And the photos from last year show about 50 people standing around looking bored. Not 1000's!!!

No one has called into our house or any of our neighbours. You seem to know what's going on. Post some details of the routes here.

I'm no to bothered anymore. Others are taking this more seriously then me. A farmer down the road said "let them try and f#$kin stop me in my tractor"

And the photos from last year show about 50 people standing around looking bored. Not 1000's!!!
    Do you live on the road that is actually closing or one adjacent to it .... and I'd advise that farmer that the gardai will deal with him as the road will be legally closed

looksee wrote: »
    I was talking to a group of people this morning who live on the route or near enough to be directly affected by this event and none of them were aware that this was any more than the - 'oh yes they closed the road for an hour a few years ago'. None of them had been contacted. They were all astonished to realise this is an all day affair.

If there were notifications in the local papers they are no longer visible, and there is nothing on the Waterford CoCo website.

All staying in local hotels - yes that would be all the hotels along the Copper Coast, right? The only people to benefit will be those in Waterford and possibly Tramore, who will not have any of the inconvenience of being trapped in their homes for the day. Are there not enough roads around Carrick without using these roads? All that stuff about spectators and crew is of no benefit to the people on the Copper Coast, they will just have the pleasure of cleaning up after the hoards.

I would have been taking a visitor from the UK along that route on that Sunday to visit relatives. In the event I can go via the N25 and Kill to get there, but we will not get to see the coastline. And its tough luck to people who come for the drive along the road and to visit the beaches who will not know till they get here that the road is closed.

The notice are placed in the local papers in keeping with normal planning processes . Ie 6 weeks before the event.

Those living on the route WILL have been notified. Those not living on it won't have been ( logical really)

Yes ... Waterford city would be considered local so Yes, again by logic they will be busy , is that not a good thing ???

What cleaning up do you envisage having to do exactly ???

You have an alternative route so that's an non issue .

Lots of people who'd never consider going near the copper coast with no accomadation to offer will now visit your area with thier friends and families for a days sport which will be televised all over Ireland, uk and Europe.
    Without knowing the exact details of the event I can't say if the residents on the stages will be free to move in and out during the day ( common practice & greatly facilitated by club's)

Have any of you contacted the club in question yet?? If not,why not?

• Advertisement

Your defense of the event suggests that you are involved in it, or at least are a rally fan. So we are not likely to see eye to eye about whether chunks of the Waterford coast should be closed to allow rally cars go tearing around it. It affects considerably more people than those who live directly on the route, and I do not see the benefit of the supposed crowds that will descend on the area, however, again, we are not likely to agree on that.

For anyone local however, it appears that the event is taking place more or less between Tankardstown and Annestown and the hinterland. Lets hope none of the throngs of watchers fall down any of the open mineshafts.

Your defense of the event suggests that you are involved in it, or at least are a rally fan. So we are not likely to see eye to eye about whether chunks of the Waterford coast should be closed to allow rally cars go tearing around it. It affects considerably more people than those who live directly on the route, and I do not see the benefit of the supposed crowds that will descend on the area, however, again, we are not likely to agree on that.

For anyone local however, it appears that the event is taking place more or less between Tankardstown and Annestown and the hinterland. Lets hope none of the throngs of watchers fall down any of the open mineshafts.

I'm.not defending anything, simply explaining .
    It's not about seeing eye to eye, it's about educating people who have little knowledge and also have concerns !

If you have/had any objections to the event then you had options to object to planning being granted etc.
    People on the ditches are equal to people on the beaches .

The last comment is petty and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 davidrees1916

By way of being some kind of devils advocate, and speaking as a resident of Bunmahon, I welcome any such initiatives that allow us to share this beautiful place with visitors, I only wish there were businesses in our village that would benefit, we have no shops or pubs any more.

Regarding advance notice, I live in the village and have seen no posters and only know this because a neighbour mentioned it. I don't generally read the local papers. I only came here to find out more, can anyone tell me more? I'd like to spectate at least.

Come here by all means, bring people and enjoy this beautiful part of Waterford but also please be mindful that people live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

How did this event go, did they get the crowds and was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I though it was a dual carriageway they were closing down

anyway :

Little Civic doing it's thing :

why do they make those temporary hay bale chekanes on the road?

To bring down the speed

or you get 270kph .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

That above clip is a bit misleading, That's the Isle Of Man TT course. Rally cars hit nowhere near that speed on closed Irish roads.

• Advertisement

k

example after bit more effort from years ago :

That clips from Scotland... Barry Johnston did alot of damage to the car that day over that jump!

Here's some in car from the winner of today's rally at the Clare stages rally last year.... The usual sort of top car running in these events... Bear in mind these cars are almost £230,000 sterling new to buy.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mccRMJmmc5c

gctest50 wrote: »
    I though it was a dual carriageway they were closing down

anyway :

Wow, yes it was certainly worth closing those beaches for all the 1000's 100's 8 spectators.

Meanwhile there was a constant stream of traffic on the diverted road (I was in a garden with an excellent view of adjacent roads) as cars and RVs followed the diversions and turned in the drive due to poor directions from the stewards).

Wow, yes it was certainly worth closing those beaches for all the 1000's 100's 8 spectators.

Probably heard of the welcome from a few of the residents

Lets hope none of the throngs of watchers fall down any of the open mineshafts.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Probably heard of the welcome from a few of the residents

How about addressing the point, where were all the crowds that were going to turn out and watch this event?

How about addressing the point, where were all the crowds that were going to turn out and watch this event?

How about addressing what you meant by this :

Lets hope none of the throngs of watchers fall down any of the open mineshafts.

Obviously you are not local. At Tankardstown there are open mineshafts which now are fenced off, but at one time, not that long ago, were not. It is not an area that attracts messers particularly, but if there were a crowd of people in the area it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that someone could end up in one of them. There are local legends to that effect. Since there were no crowds it did not happen.

Now, your turn.

There are a few old mines that were excavated for copper in the 19th century.

Bloody hell there were 21 pubs there at the peak of the mining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunmahon

• Advertisement
Advertisement