Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is reasonable for a call-out charge these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Chewbacca wrote: »
    Im just commenting on the OP's example.

We are getting into "what if" territory here to justify the OP's figure of €100.

A bogey washing machine would not warrant me dragging a lad an hour away for a non emergency.

IF I was stupid enough to ring a chap an hour away, taking up his time and knowing he had to drive back another hour, €100 would be reasonable. Thats a 2 hour drive and an experienced consultation. Id have no issue with that.

In my own experience of ringing trades, Id ring a local lad and he gives me a time that suits him to turn up.

If he came from around the corner on his way home at a time that suited him, popped in and had a cup of tea, spent less than 2 minutes looking at the washing machine, told me it would be cheaper to buy a new one then stuck his paw out for €100....nah.

Do we know how far the OP's guy travelled? Do we know if he missed other jobs? Do we know how much time he really spent there?

In summary.

If you call a guy, he travels for over an hour, misses a job, tries to fix it but assesses it wouldnt be cost effective then yeah €100 is acceptable

However, if he came from 10 minutes away, as a nixer, did fup all, decided it would be easier to get a new one instead of fixing it and charged €100. Well thats bollox.

But, my point and your point dont mean anything unless the OP answers the questions above.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just charge you 85 euro for that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I had a lad out recently to look at the washing machine. €140 for less than 5 minutes work. The little one is always filling her pockets with bits of glitter, and a largish piece made it into the wash and got caught in the pipe near the exit. It was causing issues for the pump and it wouldn't pump out the water from the washing machine.

The initial thought was a pump issue and the hotline said that if anything went wrong while I was looking the warranty could be invalidated. If I knew it was a bloody piece of glitter in the pipe I would have did it myself :(

Bloody annoying, but at least he updated the firmware!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

even the pizza/chipper guy gets a few quid for the bother.

and all he does is ring the bell and hand you a bag/box.

are you honestly going to call someone who did 4 years training, and then spends some time examining something quite complex, absolutely nothing?

can we agree that based on the law of pizza there should be at least some transfer of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Now if the education policy of this state, and the Hyacinth Bucket notions of so many people, could give as much dignity to the concept of trades, craftsmanship and skilled workmanship as they give to university education our society would benefit enormously from it. Where's pride in workmanship?

I've just finished gutting and renovating my entire house so this is raw. There's a massive dearth of skilled tradespeople in Ireland in 2018 - and no end to the number of chancers, cowboys and arrant buckos. And the tax evasion from tradespeople is unfúcking real. It is the norm. It's all cash in the hand until it gets to a certain level and they say "I better put some of it through the books" and then back to cash in the hand. And you're paying these cúnts cash from your income which is mostly taxed at 50% and they smile and say "Nothing like cold, hard cash". Bring on the bust!

And because we have no culture today of skills being nurtured/sufficient number of skilled tradesmen, you have very few options but to pay him as he wants. We, the Irish consumer, are the ones to suffer. Meanwhile loads of people leave universities with useless degrees but "social status". Crazy.

I don’t understand why your giving out. Iv dealt with those types of people and you can go one of two ways. You can agree an invoice up front knowing that you will pay more and the added benefit of vat added on as well or you can pay cash. At the end of the day it’s completely up to you to make up your mind on who you want to go with so it’s not like he’s putting a gun to your face telling me give me cash or else...if he declines how you wanted it paid. Move onto the next person. And if you come back saying everyone only accepts cash. That’s completely wrong. Your more than likely not happy with the price of the people that are ok with receipts.its one of these things where you you can’t have all the cake and eat it too.

greencap wrote: »
    even the pizza/chipper guy gets a few quid for the bother.

and all he does is ring the bell and hand you a bag/box.

are you honestly going to call someone who did 4 years training, and then spends some time examining something quite complex, absolutely nothing?

can we agree that based on the law of pizza there should be at least some transfer of money.

Is there pineapple on the pizza ?

Is there pineapple on the pizza ?

is the pizza on the books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Im just commenting on the OP's example.

We are getting into "what if" territory here to justify the OP's figure of €100.

A bogey washing machine would not warrant me dragging a lad an hour away for a non emergency.

IF I was stupid enough to ring a chap an hour away, taking up his time and knowing he had to drive back another hour, €100 would be reasonable. Thats a 2 hour drive and an experienced consultation. Id have no issue with that.

In my own experience of ringing trades, Id ring a local lad and he gives me a time that suits him to turn up.

If he came from around the corner on his way home at a time that suited him, popped in and had a cup of tea, spent less than 2 minutes looking at the washing machine, told me it would be cheaper to buy a new one then stuck his paw out for €100....nah.

Do we know how far the OP's guy travelled? Do we know if he missed other jobs? Do we know how much time he really spent there?

In summary.

If you call a guy, he travels for over an hour, misses a job, tries to fix it but assesses it wouldnt be cost effective then yeah €100 is acceptable

However, if he came from 10 minutes away, as a nixer, did fup all, decided it would be easier to get a new one instead of fixing it and charged €100. Well thats bollox.

But, my point and your point dont mean anything unless the OP answers the questions above.

For a legitimate trader a €100 charge will most likely end up with them only having a few Euro for themselves when they pay all their outgoings. Comparing a company call out charge to someone doing a nixer is comparing apples and oranges, one is tax compliant and insured the other isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

YOU WIN THE PRIZE!

I just fixed a badly blocked sink myself...small choice out here, Last time a "real" workman was needed ( to connect the new gas cooker )he was demanding E350 ) Cooker only cost E250. Sorted it here.

=bucketybuck;107214072]Bunch of people too dumb to fix their own things complaining about how much they have to pay somebody else to come and do it for them.

Don't like callout charges? Then fix it yourself and stop crying for help.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Now if the education policy of this state, and the Hyacinth Bucket notions of so many people, could give as much dignity to the concept of trades, craftsmanship and skilled workmanship as they give to university education our society would benefit enormously from it. Where's pride in workmanship?

I've just finished gutting and renovating my entire house so this is raw. There's a massive dearth of skilled tradespeople in Ireland in 2018 - and no end to the number of chancers, cowboys and arrant buckos. And the tax evasion from tradespeople is unfúcking real. It is the norm. It's all cash in the hand until it gets to a certain level and they say "I better put some of it through the books" and then back to cash in the hand. And you're paying these cúnts cash from your income which is mostly taxed at 50% and they smile and say "Nothing like cold, hard cash". Bring on the bust!

And because we have no culture today of skills being nurtured/sufficient number of skilled tradesmen, you have very few options but to pay him as he wants. We, the Irish consumer, are the ones to suffer. Meanwhile loads of people leave universities with useless degrees but "social status". Crazy.

There's a massive dearth of skilled tradespeople as most young lads don't want to get their hands dirty anymore. Do some crappy business degree n 9-5 office job with 25 days holidays n Job security.
    5 years ago if u we're doing up your house lads were desperate for work. If self employed tradesmen looked for something, anything off the dole they were told try Canada or Australia. Not great if uve a few mouths to feed. So they have to make hay while the sun shines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kneemos wrote: »
    If a lad drives five or ten minutes from job to job and collects a call out charge for each one it's taking the piss.

Most folk call their local guy so travel is limited.
    If you're calling someone out for a five minute job then you're the bigger eejit.

The call out fee usually includes the first hour or so, plus parts.

If they make it to six calls a day, they'd be doing well. It's not like they drive up and stick their hand out the window for money and drive off. Even the simplest jobs are minimum 45 minutes when you factor in the time to get there, unload bits from the van, disassemble, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bladespin wrote: »
    There does seem to be an opinion that people in service jobs are sat by phones waiting for a call, if it was that simple it would be great, all round.

We have 5 different vans available for breakdowns and if I could take them all off the road I would.

Do people really think its the best use of our company resources to be sending qualified technicians and fully kitted out breakdown vans to your yard because you haven't a clue how machinery works?

If we never got another breakdown call I'd be happy as Larry so damn sure we are the ones who will decide what is a fair price, not you. (the royal "you")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

When I did garden machinery I charged 25 euro for a local call out.
    But if I got there and it took a few minutes to sort out with no new parts or anything I didn't charge anymore.
    It got me a lot recommendations for bigger jobs, but in retrospect I should have charged more.

We have 5 different vans available for breakdowns and if I could take them all off the road I would.

Do people really think its the best use of our company resources to be sending qualified technicians and fully kitted out breakdown vans to your yard because you haven't a clue how machinery works?

If we never got another breakdown call I'd be happy as Larry so damn sure we are the ones who will decide what is a fair price, not you. (the royal "you")

I think the poster you quoted might be of the same mindset of you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Vets charged 50, whatever they do then is added . If called out to the same animal or revisit some charge 25 for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I work in this industry, a call out from our engineers is 75 plus parts that are used, obviously if he has to return to fit the parts they don't have to pay again...

Mooooo wrote: »
    Vets charged 50, whatever they do then is added . If called out to the same animal or revisit some charge 25 for that

If a kitten was stuck in a dishwasher drain , would I call a vet or dishwasher fixer man ?

Just asking for friend .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

got to consider the cost of the callout to the guy.

he's got the cost of the van, the insurance, the petrol, maintenance.
    just to be available to come to you. before any business is conducted.

divide all that up by the number of jobs.

If that were the case everyone should be paid to drive to work, they have the same costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Dakota Dan wrote:
    If that were the case everyone should be paid to drive to work, they have the same costs.

They are, you factor that in to any job you take.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

17larsson wrote: »
    So if he has four call outs in a day and is travelling for 3 hours of that day he should work 11 hours to get 8 hours pay?
    You don't own a business anyway.

It's an economy thing as well. There is loads of good paying work at the moment. Your broken washing might be important to you but unless you can offer equal/more money than he's getting elsewhere the tradesman doesn't particularly care

So if he charges €100 call out he already makes 400 on those four calls before he gets paid for parts or labour.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    So if he charges €100 call out he already makes 400 on those four calls before he gets paid for parts or labour.

So?

Don't like it, don't ask him to come out, whats the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It doesn't work like that - our company take a chunk out of what the engineers get, it's negotiated via length of service to the company, so you can be sure the engineers don't get the whole call out fee...

So?

Don't like it, don't ask him to come out, whats the problem?

I never call out a repairman for domestic appliances as one of the inlaws is in the business, any easy fixes I do myself.

You sound like you hate the job or the clients and will arrogantly and punitively will decide on a "fair price" for being inconvienienced by performing the service you have elected to perform.

Haha, a business assessing it's costs and setting it's own price point is "arrogant and punitive"! You couldn't make it up!

Sorry to burst your bubble but every business does exactly that, so they are all like me. Deal with it.

Most people only drive to work once per day. Then they get a mileage allowance for any travelling they have to as part of their job.

If your not charging for call outs you could potentially spend all day driving around and not make a penny.

somefeen wrote: »
    Most people only drive to work once per day. Then they get a mileage allowance for any travelling they have to as part of their job.

If your not charging for call outs you could potentially spend all day driving around and not make a penny.

By all means charge a call out, €25 max not some silly figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

25 is the silly figure. unless your across the street from it.

travel time to job
    deisil
    time doing the work
    time back to job
    time to replace materials
    time lost on other job booked in that day
    vat
    etc etc

the costs add up very fast

we cannot comment on the price, we dont know the guys overheads and costs.

• Advertisement

25 is the silly figure. unless your across the street from it.

travel time to job
    deisil
    time doing the work
    time back to job
    time to replace materials
    time lost on other job booked in that day
    vat
    etc etc

the costs add up very fast

we cannot comment on the price, we dont know the guys overheads and costs.
    Do you know that the call out charge is before parts and labour? You seem to think that the call out charge is a flat rate fee for every job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Do you know that the call out charge is before parts and labour? You seem to think that the call out charge is a flat rate fee for every job.

most call out fees include some labour for the first hour
    materials on top

in lots of cases a call out fee would be a minium charge but not always

Dakota Dan wrote:

Lol €25 is a 'silly' figure, got to allow at least an hour to cover travel etc, then you'd be looking at €100 basic, as per the op.

bladespin wrote: »
    Lol €25 is a 'silly' figure, got to allow at least an hour to cover travel etc, then you'd be looking at €100 basic, as per the op.

Anyone charging €100 for a call out won't be doing too much travelling.

Dakota Dan wrote:

You'd obviously be surprised.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

How much is reasonable? Bout 3 fiddy?

Blank+_4d4de71eb1a0b98ebcbe4c40c7cd7c89.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Graces7 wrote: »
    YOU WIN THE PRIZE!

I just fixed a badly blocked sink myself...small choice out here, Last time a "real" workman was needed ( to connect the new gas cooker )he was demanding E350 ) Cooker only cost E250. Sorted it here.

you connected your gas cooker yourself?

Are you suggesting that anyone with an irregular, unpredictable, non-fixed location job does otherwise?

Find me the person who's job is at an unfixed location, at an uncertain time, with no guarantee of workload, who doesn't mention transport costs as part of the wage negotiation.

Monday you're expected in Drogheda.
    What's that you say?.....petrol? ....toll charges?.....haw haw haw....why you haven't even done a stitch of work you scrounger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

My plumber is over €100 to call out and that's a fairly average price. The guy who fixed my well was even more and I myself worked as an office technician (printers and copiers) and I cost €130 to call out. The bill for the service on my gas central heating was nightmare inducing. But I gladly pay it. And will I hire some headbanger who does nixers on the cheap? Fcuk no!
    The people who call out are not fairies who materialise out of nowhere on a unicorn sleigh, they have to be hired by the company, there has to be a depot, vehicles, tools, training, admin staff, insurance and a million other things.
    If people call someone out because the piece of crap, cheapo washing machine they paid €300 is on the fritz, they are not quite clued in as to how this all works.
    When I call help there has to be a massive fcuk up that I can't deal with myself.
    But when my €200 fridge gives up the ghost it gets booted out the door and I buy a new one.
    Unless I can buy a cheap part on the internet and fix it. And I know where I stand with that. If I fcuk up because I'm an idiot, I'm on my own.
    I am very happy to pay going rate to proper professionals for the few jobs I can't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Today's generation couldn't save themselves €100.
    1. They know nothing when it comes to simple electrics or plumbing.
    2. They cannot do a simple cost benefit analysis (age of machine versus buying new (free fitment) and estimating the cost of someone calling and doing a repair.

I tore apart a 4 year old washing m/c last year to put new bearings and seal into it, these alone cost £100. My time was free but it took a good day to disassemble and a good day to reassemble. 15 months later and as we speak it is still going strong.

paw patrol wrote: »
    you connected your gas cooker yourself?

Shhh , I was waiting for someone else to comment on that.

Are you suggesting that anyone with an irregular, unpredictable, non-fixed location job does otherwise?

Find me the person who's job is at an unfixed location, at an uncertain time, with no guarantee of workload, who doesn't mention transport costs as part of the wage negotiation.

Monday you're expected in Drogheda.
    What's that you say?.....petrol? ....toll charges?.....haw haw haw....why you haven't even done a stitch of work you scrounger.
    Farm relief milker, could easily do 3 different herds in different locations that could be miles apart. €50 for two hours work farm relief get a good cut out of that relief milker gets the balance and have to fund their own transport.

My plumber is over €100 to call out and that's a fairly average price. The guy who fixed my well was even more and I myself worked as an office technician (printers and copiers) and I cost €130 to call out. The bill for the service on my gas central heating was nightmare inducing. But I gladly pay it. And will I hire some headbanger who does nixers on the cheap? Fcuk no!
    The people who call out are not fairies who materialise out of nowhere on a unicorn sleigh, they have to be hired by the company, there has to be a depot, vehicles, tools, training, admin staff, insurance and a million other things.
    If people call someone out because the piece of crap, cheapo washing machine they paid €300 is on the fritz, they are not quite clued in as to how this all works.
    When I call help there has to be a massive fcuk up that I can't deal with myself.
    But when my €200 fridge gives up the ghost it gets booted out the door and I buy a new one.
    Unless I can buy a cheap part on the internet and fix it. And I know where I stand with that. If I fcuk up because I'm an idiot, I'm on my own.
    I am very happy to pay going rate to proper professionals for the few jobs I can't do.

I got a plumber a two years ago and there was zero call out charge even though he have all the costs you outlined. He is no cowboy either.

Dakota Dan wrote:
    I'm delighted for you I got a plumber a two years ago and there was zero call out charge even though he have all the costs you outlined.

Then he makes it up on rate, each to their own but the overhead has to be met regardless. Trouble with that model is in a case like op, a 2 min job will cost you dear, hence it's becoming the norm for a call charge.

Farm relief milker, could easily do 3 different herds in different locations that could be miles apart. €50 for two hours work farm relief get a good cut out of that relief milker gets the balance and have to fund their own transport.

the one occupation you could find is someone who fondles cows tits for money.

the rest of the world would say 'expense account'.

• Advertisement

That's what I used to charge and I went out of business. Should have upped it to 50 but I was young and reckless. :p

Here's one for ya. Company I worked for got a refrigeration engineer in to sort a high capacity heat pump.
    £1,000 call out.
    Company was happy to pay it but everyone in the place was considering a career change when we found out.

Industrial specialist is a diffedent game altogether.

Guessing I'd frighten some here if I quoted some rates especially out of hours service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Limmy nails it in the first 3 minutes of this video :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I got a plumber a two years ago and there was zero call out charge even though he have all the costs you outlined. He is no cowboy either.

How much did he charge per hour out of interest?
    Some mightn't call it a callout fee, but charge €100 for the first hour, €50-60 for each subsequent hour, plus parts.
    Was it something like that?
    If not he should register as a charity. :D

How much did he charge per hour out of interest?
    Some mightn't call it a callout fee, but charge €100 for the first hour, €50-60 for each subsequent hour, plus parts.
    Was it something like that?
    If not he should register as a charity. :D
    He had two employees here form 11am to 5pm the copper pipes going to the cylinder were leaking when they replaced them they saw that the cylinder was also leaking so one of them had to go for a new double coil cylinder bring it back and fit it a new heat pump. The bill was €760 in total.

• Advertisement
Advertisement