Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones while take-off/landing

Options
  • 08-06-2018 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

When did they start requesting headphones be removed during take off and landing? Is it regulation or just policy?

No problem with it, I'd always remove for announcements as I do like to hear them incase I miss something about flight times etc, just never been asked to remove them during a landing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Probably the time during a flight when there is more chance of an emergency I'd guess?

So they would want everyone hearing any annoucements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I think it's 70% of incidents happen during take off and landing so it makes sense to have maximum attention during those times. It's probably become more of an issue since noise cancelling headphones have become more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Ryanair really needs you to hear the "Ahead of schedule" arrival cacophony

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I think it's 70% of incidents happen during take off and landing so it makes sense to have maximum attention during those times. It's probably become more of an issue since noise cancelling headphones have become more common.
    This. I believe its a combination of noise cancelling headphones reducing your situational awareness and the bulkiness of the sets themselves, in case they suddenly became airborne.
    Earphones dont have the same NC ability and off course are pretty lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Snotty wrote: »
    When did they start requesting headphones be removed during take off and landing? Is it regulation or just policy?

Is this actually new? I don’t fly very regularly so not sure, but think I’ve been asked to do this for a long time.

• Advertisement

For as long as I’ve been flying that I can remember (25 years)they’ve asked for headphones off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Ryanair really needs you to hear the "Ahead of schedule" arrival cacophony

I've got a fair few Ryanair flights lately and they didn't make anyone take off headphones. Even saw a person wearing bluetooth earphones walking around on one flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

They often request over ear headphones to be removed but allow in ear headphones once the safety announcement is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭dobman88

Always wear headphones. Stops my ears from popping and causing 24 to 48 hours discomfort. Have told cabin crew this when asked to remove them and never had a problem keeping them on. If I fly without them it would be torture for a couple of days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

dobman88 wrote: »
    Always wear headphones. Stops my ears from popping and causing 24 to 48 hours discomfort. Have told cabin crew this when asked to remove them and never had a problem keeping them on. If I fly without them it would be torture for a couple of days at least.

What sort of Headphones do you have? Do they create an airtight seal around your ears? Very interesting that they’re able to prevent your ears popping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Suppose the question was more is it regulations or just individual airlines policy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Individual airline policies

Aer Lingus ask you to remove over ear headphones, but allow in ear ‘bud’ type headphones during take off and landing once the safety announcements are complete.

NH2013 wrote: »
    What sort of Headphones do you have? Do they create an airtight seal around your ears? Very interesting that they’re able to prevent your ears popping.

Just normal ones you'd buy in Tesco or any shop. I'd say it's more the fact I'm listening to something that stops them from popping than the actual headphones, I tried all the tricks, sweets, chew gum, putting cotton wool in and the only thing that worked was listening to music or something while flying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Depends on the airline. There is no longer any rule to remove headphones during takeoff and landing but some airlines have not implemented these updated rules from EASA.
    The use of headphones was generally associated with the use of an electronic device which in the past was not permitted for use for take off and landing however these days this is permitted if your device has airplane mode engaged. For the safety demo however all forms of ear/headphones must be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Flybe is all headphones off while the seatbelt lights are on for takeoff and landing, no matter how long it takes ( FWIW this was Bose QC over-ear). As of Tuesday anyway.

FR and EI are typically the same but not as draconian unless they want to be. bud type phones are normally OK

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

NH2013 wrote: »

Just normal ones you'd buy in Tesco or any shop. I'd say it's more the fact I'm listening to something that stops them from popping than the actual headphones, I tried all the tricks, sweets, chew gum, putting cotton wool in and the only thing that worked was listening to music or something while flying

Normal in ear bud type headphones are allowed during take off and landing.
    I’m sorry to tell you there’s no correlation between listening to music and ears popping!!! Ear pressure is a a physical pain felt from pressure changes to the air inside your ear. Listeneing to something won’t change this, wheather music is playing or not ears are still always listening!
    It’s probably more a placebo or psycological thing for you to use ear phones, which actually means your ears are grand when flying like everyone else’s

Locker10a wrote: »
    I’m sorry to tell you there’s no correlation between listening to music and ears popping!!! Ear pressure is a a physical pain felt from pressure changes to the air inside your ear. Listeneing to something won’t change this, wheather music is playing or not ears are still always listening!
    It’s probably more a placebo or psycological thing for you to use ear phones, which actually means your ears are grand when flying like everyone else’s

Well I dunno what to tell you. It works for me. My ears used to kill me even after a short flight from Dublin to London, started listening to music for the duration of the flight and it stopped the pain. Trust me I know all about the physical pain it can cause.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Locker10a wrote: »

Well I dunno what to tell you. It works for me. My ears used to kill me even after a short flight from Dublin to London, started listening to music for the duration of the flight and it stopped the pain. Trust me I know all about the physical pain it can cause.
    Yeah I know as I child and teenager it was a killer for me too, but I grew out of it, or rather my ears did when I became a fully grown adult.
    Music may well work for you because you’re so anxious about it, the music makes you relax or forget about your fear of the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its entirely psychological.

Advertisement