Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice with nesting swallows

Options
  • 08-06-2018 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all, I'm new to boards so I hope this is the right place.
    I live in an apartment with a small balcony, maybe 4' x 4'. There is no room for furniture or anything out there but it's a nice place to stand in the mornings and evenings as it overlooks a busy quay. The apartment above mine has a similar balcony which I suppose forms a ceiling to mine.
    Anyway, it seems that very recently some swallows have started nesting in this open ceiling. I can see them leaving and returning in the evenings but I'm not sure if I should go out for a look incase it disturbs them. I don't remember them being there last summer.
    I'm really just wondering if I should continue using the balcony as usual, should I stay away, should I put out some food....I have no problem with them being there, just don't want to disturb them.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

You should be fine going in and out but don't hang about if they are alarmed by your presence. As for feeding - no - they eat insects. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 clunky

Thanks a million Del.Monte! That's great to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You might want to cover the floor pf your own balcony; they make a terrible mess when nesting. I once left my car under nests in the shed..,,never again

• Registered Users Posts: 6 clunky

Great! Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Not splitting hairs, but they might be housemartins rather than swallows (makes no practical difference but you might want to know!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement