Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boy 14 Killed After Car He Was Driving Crashed in Donegal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

It’s easy to judge when it is not on you’re own doorstep or doesn’t affect you. We’ve all done stupid things. RIP and condolences to the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The article clrarly states he was driving op and it occurred off road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The reckless invincibility of youth if you could only bottle it

Rip to the kid just unlucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thank god he didnt hit anyone else at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

His family must be in bits. Only 14 years old and died such a needless death. I hope his family can come to terms with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I can't see this thread going anywhere good in this cesspit.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Driving really should be taught at a young age within our educational system. Rip buddy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Driving really should be taught at a young age within our educational system. Rip buddy

It goes way past that, it's the whole attitude to driving by society in general, summed up by four small words but incredibly dangerous words, 'sure where's the harm?'

Sure where's the harm in driving without passing a test?
    Sure where's the harm in driving after a pint?
    Sure where's the harm in driving driving without insurance?

And the most galling part, you have gombeen politicians promoting this attitude for their own ends.

But anyway, that's a story for another day. It won't bring this youngfella back or do anything to help is family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The reckless invincibility of youth if you could only bottle it

Rip to the kid just unlucky

It's more stupid than unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We all did stupid things as a kid.

Just most of us got away with it. I'm lucky to alive after 1 or 2 near misses too.

Most of us live to tell the tale.

At least nobody else died if that's a consolation.

But Rip to young lad.

We don't know exact reason why he died earlier. It might not be as clear cut as it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

We all learned to drive a car at that age growing up in the 70's on a farm.
    We were driving tractors 2 years before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's more stupid than unlucky.

We all did silly things while at the invincible age of 14.

Rip young lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Pops_20 wrote: »
    The headline makes it sound like the car crashed itself.

I dunno how you worked that one out :confused:

Donegal, lovely county, know some great people there, but easily the county I've driven in with the most dangerous drivers :eek:

He wasn't on a public road, it's very normal to be driving at 14 on private land. I was doing it much younger particularly in tractors. It's just a sad accident no need for the outrage, a lot more young lads have been killed swimming than driving cars in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

badtoro wrote: »
    I dunno how you worked that one out :confused:

Donegal, lovely county, know some great people there, but easily the county I've driven in with the most dangerous drivers :eek:

That's definitely Dublin in my experience. Awful drivers around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

“Donegal strikes again”

Well that’s a really stupid thing to say. This could have happened anywhere.
    RIP to the young lad.

He wasn't on a public road, it's very normal to be driving at 14 on private land. I was doing it much younger particularly in tractors. It's just a sad accident no need for the outrage, a lot more young lads have been killed swimming than driving cars in the last week.

Sure where's the harm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

feartuath wrote: »

It's called progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Sure where's the harm?

Well it turned out OK for Nox and that seems to be all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Subtle

Admittedly I rolled my eyes when I first read the headline on this on RTE news... But then I thought about it and guessed that it likely happened in some rural location out west, before I looked at the full story.

Anyway, here's my point. Some kids are very mature at a young age these days. This kid was 14... Perhaps he was only a month away from turning 15. That then would mean he was then only a year off being 16 and eligible for a provisional license.

I actually came across a 12 year old kid in the past who used to drive in a VERY remote area. While I was shocked at the time, I had to admit to myself that this kid was super mature and very grounded. And I would have trusted them more than some friends of mine in their 20s if it came to having to be driven somewhere safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

12 driving a tractor? That was old back in the 70's, usually around 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A young kid driving a car off the road and away from traffic.

Simple fact is that that is exactly how thousands of young people learned the basic mechanics of driving a car, the country is full of smart young people who got into a car and drove around a big field perfectly safely, learning how to handle a car.

Without knowing the details here I wouldn't rush to much judgement, just a young kid doing something hundreds of thousands of young kids have done before.

Simple fact is that that is exactly how thousands of young people learned the basic mechanics of driving a car, the country is full of smart young people who got into a car and drove around a big field perfectly safely, learning how to handle a car.

Without knowing the details here I wouldn't rush to much judgement, just a young kid doing something hundreds of thousands of young kids have done before.

good point, but it kinna makes a lot of sense if we just taught kids how to drive in school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'd hate to see the giddiness, macho and messing if that happened -let alone the sudden onslaught of thousands of new teenage learners onto the riads at the same time. Nightmare. This poor kid was learning off road on private land - not on busy roads and family filled carparks like the rest of us. Its just terribly sad and tragic. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

good point, but it kinna makes a lot of sense if we just taught kids how to drive in school

How on earth would you even get the resources for that, never mind the time? Supply cars and big wide open spaces to schools so that teachers can bring 25/30 kids off for one day and teach them everything about driving?

Then the kids would still want to go home and spin about in a car to practice so nothing is solved anyway.

This was probably just a freak accident, I don't know that anything really needs to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Why was a 14 year old driving?

• Advertisement

This post had been deleted.

Permabear wrote:

So life has a cost now! Shame on you both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Same here in the eighties myself. I was a lanky kid so I could reach the pedals safely . .

Rip to the poor boy his family must be devastated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think the memory of the multiple deaths crash in Buncrana lives long in our memories. I lived up there then and it was a terrible event

https://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1218/667605-donegal/

and this

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/donegal-left-numb-by-two-crashes-in-20-hours-claiming-five-lives-1.2737693

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Donegal strikes again.

Wtf sort of an idiotic comment is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Many people who have the land (or access to it) would have a field car/jeep/bike/quad and as far as I'm aware there's no minimum age do drive one once not on a public road? How he was going fast enough to kill himself is another thing though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I feel very sad for the young lad and his family, it's a terrible loss to all concerned. But one point everyone seems to be missing is that he took the car from his home and drove to the off road location. So despite what many posters above have said he was, in fact, on the public roads at some point.
    Now picture the reaction if he had crashed the car into a young family on a main road, sympathy would be in short supply.

while many seem to find it acceptable to have a kid driving cos he is off road they choose to ignore how he got there. add in the fact that he kept the car at home and it's likely the parent knew and approved of it.

Hopefully some people will learn from this tragedy and not allow children to drive, no matter how mature they seem.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Many people who have the land (or access to it) would have a field car/jeep/bike/quad and as far as I'm aware there's no minimum age do drive one once not on a public road? How he was going fast enough to kill himself is another thing though

There was a poor lady killed driving a tractor lawnmower yesterday too, you don't have to be speeding to get into difficulty.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    12 driving a tractor? That was old back in the 70's, usually around 9.

I started driving at 8, doing a days work in the tractor by the age of 10 or 11 as are most lads who grew up on farms. Kids are still taught to drive young. It's a good thing, there just has to be great care taken. This tragic accident is not a reason for everyone to get up in arms over people young people driving on private land.

I started driving at 8, doing a days work in the tractor by the age of 10 or 11 as are most lads who grew up on farms. Kids are still taught to drive young. It's a good thing, there just has to be great care taken. This tragic accident is not a reason for everyone to get up in arms over people young people driving on private land.
    And as long as attitudes like this exist, people will die needlessly.

We all did it nox, most of us got away with it, most still do. But it sure as fcuk doesn't make it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

So life has a cost now! Shame on you both!

Life has always had a cost. There isn't an infinite amount of money to go around you know.

• Advertisement

We all did it nox, most of us got away with it, most still do. But it sure as fcuk doesn't make it right.

Why not? People die legally driving on the road, should be stop that too? It's exceptionally rare for people to die in the way this boy did, it's not an issue. Meanwhile real issues are ignored.

Kids should learn to drive young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd hate to see the giddiness, macho and messing if that happened -let alone the sudden onslaught of thousands of new teenage learners onto the riads at the same time. Nightmare. This poor kid was learning off road on private land - not on busy roads and family filled carparks like the rest of us. Its just terribly sad and tragic. .

You learn with someone teaching you, not given a car and head off on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

What is the story with this? I read initially that it was off road and now the indo are saying that it was on a road.

There is really no excuse or justification for him to have been driving on his own on a public road. he could have killed / injured more than himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

[quote="Joseph Wet Dove;107217557"

Kids should learn to drive young.[/quote]

take the excitement out of it ...something everyone learns not just the ones whose parents can afford it.

Driving is a skill everyone should have, make it as mundane as it actually is to teenagers not something exciting.

Anyway .....
    RIP young man,
    Devasting 14 years old :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0609/969312-donegal-crash/

A teenage boy has died in a single-vehicle road crash on the Inishowen Peninsula, in Co Donegal yesterday evening.

It is understood the boy was 14-years-old and the driver and was the only occupant of the car which crashed on a rural road at Tullyally between Redcastle and Moville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I can't see this thread going anywhere good in this cesspit.

RIP.
    It's grand, he wasn't black, Muslim or a traveler so the usual suspects have and will continue to move on in disappointment after scouring the link in the OP.

It's a tragic accident that could have been avoided had he not been let drive a car at 14 (unless he swiped the keys from the parents), let alone on what appears may have been a public road from the (edit) RTE link above. There has always been quite a somewhat lax attitude to this kind of thing in parts of rural Ireland, and sadly this is the consequence. Can't really blame the kid, he was too young to know better, and now he'll never be old enough to either.

Overall it's been a horrible few weeks for young deaths around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well said. Thank you

Why not? People die legally driving on the road, should be stop that too? It's exceptionally rare for people to die in the way this boy did, it's not an issue. Meanwhile real issues are ignored.

Kids should learn to drive young.

It's not an issue? Seriously? What's more of an issue than young people dying on the roads nox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/boy-14-killed-after-car-he-was-driving-crashed-in-donegal-1.3524422

Donegal strikes again. How did he get a car in the first place? The headline makes it sound like the car crashed itself.

Really?

dixiefly wrote: »
    What is the story with this? I read initially that it was off road and now the indo are saying that it was on a road.

There is really no excuse or justification for him to have been driving on his own on a public road. he could have killed / injured more than himself.

It's an unpaved road in the bog, not sure if it's council jurisdiction or not, hence the confusion I guess.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement