Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing kitchen ceiling light- HELP!!! too many wires

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

haha true attaching picture during this lovely sunny day!

If those 3 reds were connected to the same point on the original light fitting, it must have been one huge connection point. With the end doubled over like that, the point would need to be 3 or 4 mm in diameter! Maybe there was a terminal block on the original?? Do you still have it? If so, show a photo of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BudEliJackson

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    If those 3 reds were connected to the same point on the original light fitting, it must have been one huge connection point. With the end doubled over like that, the point would need to be 3 or 4 mm in diameter! Maybe there was a terminal block on the original?? Do you still have it? If so, show a photo of that.

Original still here- I think the 2 reds were in 1 port and blue and another red in the second one, the wire for earth wasnt connected

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Original still here- I think the 2 reds were in 1 port and blue and another red in the second one, the wire for earth wasnt connected

So, which of the reds was in with the blue?

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    So, which of the reds was in with the blue?

If I knew, I wouldnt be asking here lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I know this won't help, but you really need an electrician.

The NYMJ (white 3-core) has a brown going somewhere, any idea where? The earth does not look like it was ever connected despite the metal luminaire having an earth terminal.

I could suggest a way to figure it out but I can't in good conscious because the only way would be to work live - that's why it's a job for an electrician (or at the least a competent person, this isn't covered by REC).

Shoddy workmanship as well, looks like the original installer got a rat to chew the insulation off the wires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

EdgeCase wrote:
    There's nothing you can tell by looking at the wires. You need an electrical to actually check what's connected to what. Even if you could see the colours in that photo, they don't signify anything in particular.

You can tell plenty by looking at the wires

Hi all thought I would update you- got electrician in yesterday morning and kitchen and bathroom lights working, wohooo

Found this funny - came home last night to find out none of lights upstairs are working :)

happy Friday

Advertisement