Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you all think of this?

Options
  • 09-06-2018 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

https://volquartsen.com/products/1281-summit-receiver-and-bolt

Seen this on reddit today, a conversion kit to turn a rugar 10/22 into a bolt action gun. I am guessing that the gun would have to be relicensed as a bolt gun? Dude on reddit seem to think that it was the bees knees for suppressed shooting, but at that price it would want to be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Seen this on reddit today, a conversion kit to turn a rugar 10/22 into a bolt action gun. I am guessing that the gun would have to be relicensed as a bolt gun? Dude on reddit seem to think that it was the bees knees for suppressed shooting, but at that price it would want to be.

Don't see the point of it, at that price buy a CZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Had a 10/22 for 2 months absolutely hated it I spent more time crawling around the grass looking for spent brass then shooting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Seen this on reddit today, a conversion kit to turn a Ruger 10/22 into a bolt action gun. I am guessing that the gun would have to be relicensed as a bolt gun? Dude on reddit seem to think that it was the bees knees for suppressed shooting, but at that price, it would want to be.

Nope! to it being re-licensed as a BA, unless you want it permanently as a bolt action rifle, or are building one, and to the idea. If you want that kind of silenced shooting, buy a bolt action or break action straight off. Or simply modify the 10/22 with a bolt lock, which is no biggie for any capable gunsmith. It's another gimmick for adding a twist to the 10/22 modular design. In short, a solution looking for a problem.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

rsole1 wrote: »
    Don't see the point of it, at that price buy a CZ.

I agree completely man it is more expensive then the rifle was new, just thought it was a cool idea

Jackdaw89 wrote: »
    Had a 10/22 for 2 months absolutely hated it I spent more time crawling around the grass looking for spent brass then shooting it.

I love mine man, it is my first firearm tho some Mabey that is clouding my judgment.

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nope! to it being re-licensed as a BA, unless you want it permanently as a bolt action rifle, or are building one, and to the idea. If you want that kind of silenced shooting, buy a bolt action or break action straight off. Or simply modify the 10/22 with a bolt lock, which is no biggie for any capable gunsmith. It's another gimmick for adding a twist to the 10/22 modular design. In short, a solution looking for a problem.

So I in theory could buy this use as bolt gun and then change back to semi auto as I please? Bolt lock never heard of it till now but a quick YouTube search and my interest is peaked. I agree that its a gimmick man just thought it was a cool idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I like it, it is obviously a cheap solution to making a rifle for biathlon shooting, Because the other options start at about 5 grand.

juice1304 wrote: »
    I like it, it is obviously a cheap solution to making a rifle for biathlon shooting, Because the other options start at about 5 grand.

Biathlon shooting? Never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Biathlon shooting? Never heard of it.

You ski or run or cycle and have to shoot at stationary targets at several waypoints.

You ski or run or cycle and have to shoot at stationary targets at several waypoints.

Stupid question of the weekend do you carry the gun along the way? Is that an active sport in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

I love mine man, it is my first firearm tho some Mabey that is clouding my judgment.

Oh its a fine rifle lad but I didn’t like scratching around for the spent brass, actually iv the same bother with my shotgun shells with the a400 ha. Semi autos just don’t suit me or the land I shoot ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Stupid question of the weekend do you carry the gun along the way?
    Yes indeed:

Is that an active sport in Ireland?
    Not that I know of, and I suspect that any attempt to emulate it in our non-alpine climate would probably run afoul of Dermot Ahern's 'Movement With Firearms = The End Of Civilisation As We Know It' policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Stupid question of the weekend do you carry the gun along the way? Is that an active sport in Ireland?

You do, the weight of the gun is part of the fun of the sport. Get on the ole Youtube, plenty of Winter Olympics biathlon footage to be found. If my memory serves me right I read somewhere that at the start of it being an Olympic sport it was done with .30 cal center fire rifles and Scandinavian soldiers scooped up the medals.

Melodeon wrote: »
    Yes indeed:

Not that I know of, and I suspect that any attempt to emulate it in our non-alpine climate would probably run afoul of Dermot Ahern's 'Movement With Firearms = The End Of Civilisation As We Know It' policy.

Is it movement with firearms,or movement with LOADED firearms law? Because if it is the former,we would have ways of making it and IPSC legal here.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

.............Because if it is the former,we would have ways of making it and IPSC legal here.

Are you for real?

Practical pistol, or whatever it was called back then, almost got every pistol pulled a few years ago and you're proposing chance another go at it if 'we' can make the current wording suit :eek:

Jackdaw89 wrote: »
    Oh its a fine rifle lad but I didn’t like scratching around for the spent brass, actually iv the same bother with my shotgun shells with the a400 ha. Semi autos just don’t suit me or the land I shoot ha.

I understand that man, I am thinking of getting a shotgun and I'm lean more towards a over and under.

Melodeon wrote: »
    Yes indeed:

Well he was an elected member of the government how dare we question his all knowing foresight 😂 but on a serious note dose that mean I have to carry my gun unloaded and load when I see a rabbit?

You do, the weight of the gun is part of the fun of the sport. Get on the ole Youtube, plenty of Winter Olympics biathlon footage to be found. If my memory serves me right I read somewhere that at the start of it being an Olympic sport it was done with .30 cal center fire rifles and Scandinavian soldiers scooped up the medals.

I suppose they would have plenty of experience in that sort of thing, had a look at a few clips that looks like good crack. But thinking back to how stuck I was during the "beast from the east" I don't think it's for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Are you for real?

Practical pistol, or whatever it was called back then, almost got every pistol pulled a few years ago and you're proposing chance another go at it if 'we' can make the current wording suit :eek:

Nothing wrong with practical shooting sports, they are after all, sports. They are legal everywhere except here and north Korea. Even after the Hungerford and Dunblane shootings in the UK, i do not recall hearing one mp advocating for the banning of practical shooting over there.

The only reason it was banned here was a short angry man td seen a youtube video of a walt strutting around the grounds of his ancestoral 1980's bungalow, advising the gullable how to be a super ninja assassin bodyguards.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/arrse_wiki/index.php?title=List_of_James_Shortt%27s_Dubious_Claims&

gunny123 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with practical shooting sports, they are after all, sports. They are legal everywhere except here and north Korea. Even after the Hungerford and Dunblane shootings in the UK, i do not recall hearing one mp advocating for the banning of practical shooting over there.

The only reason it was banned here was a short angry man td seen a youtube video of a walt strutting around the grounds of his ancestoral 1980's bungalow, advising the gullable how to be a super ninja assassin bodyguards.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/arrse_wiki/index.php?title=List_of_James_Shortt%27s_Dubious_Claims&

So this one chap puts a video up on YouTube and the whole countrys laws are changed? Any links to the video he posted?

• Advertisement

So this one chap puts a video up on YouTube and the whole countrys laws are changed? Any links to the video he posted?

Yes, in short, one video and off go centrefire (and very nearly rimfire) pistols. I am not sure he posted it, it did appear to be promotional video for his bodyguard training business. I don't want to post anymore about him, as he is fond of setting lawyers on people who question him. But wander over to the arrse website and do a search there, all will become clear.

Are you for real?

Yes.I am VERY for real. if people stopped looking at a problem locally and actually looked EU wide once in awhile, they might find a country that
    [1] Knows its arse from its elbow in firearms matters and law
    [2]Outlaws "combat training" and has done for decades,but has a burgeoning IPSC community.
    [
    3] Has the EXACT SAME prohibitions as we do on moving with a loaded firearm[ii] Shooting off ground
    [iii] Shooting partially exposed targets
    [
    iv]Movement must be at walking pace with unloaded firearms

[v] Has one of the best counter-terrorist units in the World and are more than happy to send one of their experts over to testify on the total fallacy of IPSC being anyway suited to "combat training" as much as a Fiat Bambino is to formula 1 racing.

[vi] AGS has accepted their opinion from their Federal technical labs on whether semi-auto sporting rifles are actually such and not war weapons,or easily convertible to select fire. Their weapons or ballistic experts hold titles such as Doctor or Professor, not Seargent or Inspector [of weekend-long course qualifications.:rolleyes:]

A place called Germany.Might have heard of it?

Of course,if no one wants to even make an enquiry on this possibility,of even a review and sit and bemoan the fates,or are just quite happy shooting in "Norn Iron"...Well then we WILL eventually die out here with CF pistols. even get it going with .22 stuff.Or sit and be intimidated by "the law" for another 35 years. [Won't bother me I'll be 96 by then.]

gunny123 wrote: »
    Yes, in short, one video and off go centrefire (and very nearly rimfire) pistols. I am not sure he posted it, it did appear to be a promotional video for his bodyguard training business. I don't want to post anymore about him, as he is fond of setting lawyers on people who question him. But wander over to the arrse website and do a search there, all will become clear.

I wouldn't be too worried about Gym Shorts sending any writs to you.it would be ringing the dinner bell to the shoal of ARRSE[UK] sharks[IE HM army,who does have current ,former genuine bodyguards, paramedics, lawyers, ancient Irish heraldic titled families,and officers] to descend en masse upon the "baron of Castleshort" and really for once finish him off and his already utterly tattered reputation physically in a court of law.:p

BTW here is the video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESVAhXyk7Y At 1.56 in the video you have a fine shot of the Castle.[Featured also onRTE Failte Towers, because its a golf club and hotel] And God alone knows how many illegal or breaches of Irish firearms laws in this farsce of a video.

And for those who want to read the tale of the fall of the Uber Walt.Go here and have an afternoons read.https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/The_Baron_of_Castleshort

In fairness to Baron ShortaCastle he was a contributing factor in this whole sad mess. Doing naughty stuff in Dermot Ahern's constituency probably didn't help matters either.
    Aherne had it in for shooting sports ever since he became Justice minister and stated so quite clearly at the May 2008 Assoc of Garda Sgts and Inspectors AGM. Being an evil little arthritic creep:mad: he used the murder of Shane Greghoan, which had nothing to do with anything remotely resembling legally held CF pistols, he hung his BS law on that peg of an innocent man's death to punish further Irish shooters.
    Also,we have ourselves to blame too,in the fact that 20 plus years ago we could have set up practical shotgun here and no one would have boo on the matter.We rushed headfirst and too fast into IPSC with the pistols, and scared the bejesus out of AGS with a showoff demo of an IPSC shoot.And not to mind the usual Fuddism of traditional shooting sports didnt help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Very popular sport in parts of the north inner city ;)

I wouldn't be too worried about Gym Shorts sending any writs to you.it would be ringing the dinner bell to the shoal of ARRSE[UK] sharks[IE HM army,who does have current ,former genuine bodyguards, paramedics, lawyers, ancient Irish heraldic titled families,and officers] to descend en masse upon the "baron of Castleshort" and really for once finish him off and his already utterly tattered reputation physically in a court of law.:p

BTW here is the video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESVAhXyk7Y At 1.56 in the video you have a fine shot of the Castle.[Featured also onRTE Failte Towers, because its a golf club and hotel] And God alone knows how many illegal or breaches of Irish firearms laws in this farsce of a video.

And for those who want to read the tale of the fall of the Uber Walt.Go here and have an afternoons read.https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/The_Baron_of_Castleshort

In fairness to Baron ShortaCastle he was a contributing factor in this whole sad mess. Doing naughty stuff in Dermot Ahern's constituency probably didn't help matters either.
    Aherne had it in for shooting sports ever since he became Justice minister and stated so quite clearly at the May 2008 Assoc of Garda Sgts and Inspectors AGM. Being an evil little arthritic creep:mad: he used the murder of Shane Greghoan, which had nothing to do with anything remotely resembling legally held CF pistols, he hung his BS law on that peg of an innocent man's death to punish further Irish shooters.
    Also,we have ourselves to blame too,in the fact that 20 plus years ago we could have set up practical shotgun here and no one would have boo on the matter.We rushed headfirst and too fast into IPSC with the pistols, and scared the bejesus out of AGS with a showoff demo of an IPSC shoot.And not to mind the usual Fuddism of traditional shooting sports didnt help either.

How dose he get away with all that stolen valour? The video was some next level mall ninja promo work, did he really have to point the mac at the camra tho?

How dose he get away with all that stolen valour? The video was some next level mall ninja promo work, did he really have to point the mac at the camra tho?

Only if he used the medals directly to gain money fraudulently. Apparently, his medals, none are UK awarded or are discontinued medals,so he would have to have been fighting in the Boer or WW1 to have been awarded..Have a read of the ARSSE thread,it explains it all or go onto arrse,they have a topic thread on Walts and his is the longest.

Here ya go Shortt skirts and shiny things. https://www.arrse.co.uk/arrse_wiki/index.php?title=James_Shortt%27s_Dodgy_Uniforms_and_Medals&

Only if he used the medals directly to gain money fraudulently. Apparently, his medals, none are UK awarded or are discontinued medals,so he would have to have been fighting in the Boer or WW1 to have been awarded..Have a read of the ARSSE thread,it explains it all or go onto arrse,they have a topic thread on Walts and his is the longest.

I never copped the fact he spent so much time here, from the early 70's in fact. I am also baffled how he was never caught and got his comeuppance, just reading the arrse forums , they aren't the sort i'd like after me.

"Do you want the entire pissed off Brit army officer and NCO class on your "arrse?That's how you get the entire pissed off Brit army officer and NCO class on your arrse!" All you have to do is call them scum in a post on Arrse.:p

I'm not surprised TBH..He certainly had a few Irish traits. Gift of the gab,baffler with bull manure,and plausible stories before the interweb made it easy to do research on peoples stories. Biggest mistake was playing with fire with an organization that if it did look very closely at your story would take it apart very quickly and expose you.

Here ya go Shortt skirts and shiny things. https://www.arrse.co.uk/arrse_wiki/index.php?title=James_Shortt%27s_Dodgy_Uniforms_and_Medals&

Could past "students" not sue as they thought they were being trained by para/sas/navy/monk/rambo and not some steamer who has read to many Tom Clancy books?

• Advertisement

Could past "students" not sue as they thought they were being trained by para/sas/navy/monk/rambo and not some steamer who has read to many Tom Clancy books?

Because they believe the hype. They think all the far fetched tales are true, all the knockers have it wrong, and jimbo cannot go public because of "security". I knew one of them, everything was black-op's ultra ninja mode, He'd like to tell you more but "national security" would be endangered.

He was the same wally who caused a major panic in a small wicklow town, when he decided to pop into a shop one sunday morning on the way to the range, in full tacticool gear and a glock strapped to his hip. The shop assistant had a conniption and rang the gardai.

Arv's etc out in force, disaster.

Advertisement