Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle Shed

Options
  • 09-06-2018 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Firstly, I don't have a motorcycle, I have a ride-on mower. 😁. I've being looking for some form of shelter for it (during the season) when it is in regular use. Another Boardsie has come up with the suggestion of a motorcycle shed

Looking online, many suppliers do not ship to Ireland. Can I ask if anyone can recommend a good make and, secondly, where can I get my hands on one? I don't just want a cover, it's under a tarp already

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look up them metal sheds, think Argos do or did sell them.

Ideal as 2 sliding doors and big enough for mower and extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Look up them metal sheds, think Argos do or did sell them.

Ideal as 2 sliding doors and big enough for mower and extras.

Thanks, I've looked at sheds at that level and they seem very flimsy. I think a motorcycle shed (the pull up and over type) might be more suitable. I have a place to put it away over the winter, so it's just to keep it dry over the summer and keep bird crap off it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Thanks, I've looked at sheds at that level and they seem very flimsy. I think a motorcycle shed (the pull up and over type) might be more suitable. I have a place to put it away over the winter, so it's just to keep it dry over the summer and keep bird crap off it

Those cheap ones in Argos or Woodies are flimsy as you say..BUT they are extremely strong when erected...i put one up 6 years ago and its survived the worst winter storms and still looks new....

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Steeltech shed. I put it on a concrete base and Insulated it with some kingspan and chipboard. Then run a wire into it for some power and light. The ultimate man shed and it'll last a lifetime.

If you have a ride on lawnmower then you must have decent size garden and space around your house. I can emphasise getting a good big decent size shed enough. Aim for one that'll hold a car. It'll be enough for a ride on, motorbike/s power tools work bench and everything else.

Hi, yes I have loads of space and I already have a high quality shed that is plenty for all my outdoor stuff, it's just the mower is too wide to get it in the door. I just want something big enough for the mower on it's own. I'm leaning towards a pull up and over bike cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

I'm leaning towards a pull up and over bike cover

You mean something like this?

Yep, Exactly like that. Most won't ship to Ireland though. Any Irish suppliers in addition to those?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Can you add a lean to on your existing shed, I doubt and bike cover will stand the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Use Addresspal, I got a towbar from the UK and it was only €20 IIRC for oversized parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Use Addresspal, I got a towbar from the UK and it was only €20 IIRC for oversized parcel.

It's a great service but be careful with that. I got an amplifier through parcel motel oversized and it was like yours only a couple of quid but I read about lads getting bicycles shipped and being hit for hundreds, they do it by dimensions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Yep, Exactly like that. Most won't ship to Ireland though. Any Irish suppliers in addition to those?

...the ad I linked to states all Ireland delivery?... :confused:

By way of update, I opted for this in the end. Very happy with it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ridehide-Breathable-Motorcycle-Non-contact-protection/dp/B01M6DSEFJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Steeltech shed. I put it on a concrete base and Insulated it with some kingspan and chipboard. Then run a wire into it for some power and light. The ultimate man shed and it'll last a lifetime.

If you have a ride on lawnmower then you must have decent size garden and space around your house. I can emphasise getting a good big decent size shed enough. Aim for one that'll hold a car. It'll be enough for a ride on, motorbike/s power tools work bench and everything else.
    I visited a Steeltech branch to look at their sheds.
    In my tiny garden there was a 5 foot x 6 foot wooden shed that had started to rot around the base from soil leaning against it.

I ordered a 7 foot x 7 foot Steeltech Shed, with Kingspan insulation, and with a 12" overhang over the door.
    They sent me an order form that they had filled out by hand for a 3 metre x 3 metre (about 10'x 10') shed, with no insulation and no 12" overhang.
    They had ticked the option boxes on the form (often incorrectly).
    They wanted me to sign the form.
    They did not send a quotation for the agreed amount although we had agreed the amount during a phone call.

I did not sign the Steeltech form for the incorrect size shed (and missing the options I requested).
    They sent me another form for the correct 7'x 7' shed, with insulation, and with overhang. I signed that and returned it in the post.
    I paid a deposit of Euro 1,000 on the shed quoted at Euro 2,452.

The area where the shed would be situated is small, and bounded by a wall at the back and to the right.
    I measured the site and sent Steeltech the measurements of the shed site, the diagonal heights of the two doors in my side entrance,
    and the height of the wall (4'10" on the neighbours side; 6 foot on my side).
    All these measurement were sent to Steeltech to ensure they supplied the right size shed, and that they could put the shed on the site.
    I asked the neighbour for permission to life the shed panels over the boundary wall and he agreed.

Thinking I had ordered a new shed I broke up my wooden shed and carted it to the dump in two car trips.
    Then I filled a skip with two cubic metres of soil to make a level surface for the new Steeltech shed.

Then next step was to get a contractor to put in a concrete base.

Yesterday Steeltech sent an engineer from Cork (I am in Dublin) to confirm that site access was ok.
    This visit was a surprise as all the measurements were supplied by me to Stelltech and I though the deal was done.
    The site engineer said there was no problem with access.

Today I got a phone call from Steeltech Galway asking for Euro 600 to cut up the shed panels to allow access through the side entrance doors (80" and 84" diagonals) at my house as there are difficulties with access .
    I broke up my wooden shed after we agreed the contract for Euro 2,452. At that time access was not a problem.

This morning the Steeltech person on the phone would not allow me speak but insisted on talking over me/through me. He continued to do this.
    I asked him to shut up and allow me speak. He kept talking.
    He would not accept that I signed a contract for Euro 2,452, and insisted it was "subject to site visit".
    The site engineer said there was no problem with access.
    If I was to translate "subject to site visit" I would translate it to "pay us Euro 600 extra".
    The Steelech person said lifting the panels (remember the shed is only 7'x 7') would be ok over a waist high wall but is not possible over a wall 4'10" high one side and a 6' drop the other side.

From my perspective Steeltech are not honouring a signed contract.
    Of course they do not sign the contract, the customer signs the contract.
    Perhaps that is a device to allow them charge extra.

About half an hour after the conversation with the Steeltech representative this morning I phoned Steeltech Galway and asked to speak to the sales manager.
    The person I had spoken to earlier answered the call and said she was not at work today.
    He had earlier decided that I would not be allowed speak to Steeltech as I had told him to shut up when he continually talked over me refusing to allow me speak.
    He said he was limiting my contact with Steeltech to e-mail contact only.
    I do hope they record customer conversations at Steeltech and review them.

I will follow guidelines and wash my hands thoroughly after contact with Steeltech.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

A very timely post as I was about to call to Steeltech in Fota Park in the process of purchasing a shed. I suppose the down side of a booming economy is the arrogance and disdain shown by some people in customer services. But I suppose when paying these employees peanuts you do get monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I visited a Steeltech branch to look at their sheds.
    In my tiny garden there was a 5 foot x 6 foot wooden shed that had started to rot around the base from soil leaning against it.

I ordered a 7 foot x 7 foot Steeltech Shed, with Kingspan insulation, and with a 12" overhang over the door.

.......I will follow guidelines and wash my hands thoroughly after contact with Steeltech.

Just a couple of things (as i'm in a not-dissimilar business)

1 - subject to site visit: if the rep visited, ok'd it as being 'standard/normal', then no charge can apply.
    2 - phone them again: the FIRST thing you say, before anything else, is 'what is your name' - write it down.
    3 - be dispassionate with your case, remove the emotion. The goal here is either a shed or your money back (know this before you talk).
    4 - make a list (for your own purposes) and insist on speaking to Sean Brett, the owner. If they won't put you through to him, then FB and Twitter - but politely - and then a registered letter.

From what you've written, it seems an open/shut case tbh.

Persistance, clarity of purpose is your friend. No company wants bad publicity, no matter how busy they are.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Thanks for the above post.
    Unfortunately, the shed has dropped down my list of priorities.

I had an operation on Wednesday and was released this morning.
    An hour after the operation (general anaesthetic) I got a phone call from a vet.
    My two year old filly, at their vet clinic for six weeks recovering from an operation to remove bone chips, ran into a concrete wall and broke a bone in her leg.

I should be at home taking it easy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I went to Steeltech with 6.5k cash in hand looking for a large shed. Your man was happy to take the cash but couldn't give me a delivery date within 6 months. I went to O'Riordans sheds in Charleville and got the same spec shed delivered and erected 2 weeks later for 5.9k. Good result, and I said at the time I'd always share this event when the subject of sheds comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I went to Steeltech with 6.5k cash in hand looking for a large shed. Your man was happy to take the cash but couldn't give me a delivery date within 6 months. I went to O'Riordans sheds in Charleville and got the same spec shed delivered and erected 2 weeks later for 5.9k. Good result, and I said at the time I'd always share this event when the subject of sheds comes up.

Love to see the final product? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I got a huge steeltech shed 4 yrs ago and had no bother what so ever, I even got them out at the start of the year to stick gutters on it (not cheap) but I wanted it done correctly and again no problems they went above and beyond to sort out the gutters with tight access to one side.

Very surprised that you are getting this grief.....but I would deffo follow up with a supervisor as some of the clowns answering the phones are disasters.

H_Lime wrote: »
    Love to see the final product? :)

IMG-20200308-163731.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

IMG-20200308-163731.jpg
    A man could quite happily live in there:D
    Have you heat? Would love a waste oil burner myself.

Haven't felt the need for heat in it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

https://flic.kr/p/2iGitvE

just layed base for shed yesterday concrete monday, going with a 4.1x3.1m shed with front roller door and side pedestrian, also sunk large Y bracket for chain, should look similar to this once erected
    https://www.facebook.com/1482689662001133/photos/a.1730465527223544/1821768328093263/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Just happened to drop into Woodies Sandyford and they had three from this crowd on display. Not cheap but...
    https://www.admansteelsheds.ie/
    No connection at all!

just out of sheer curiosity, for those building sheds etc, what is the budget range you are happy to spend on something like that, (irrespective of size).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

deaglan169 wrote: »
    https://flic.kr/p/2iGitvE

just layed base for shed yesterday concrete monday, going with a 4.1x3.1m shed with front roller door and side pedestrian, also sunk large Y bracket for chain, should look similar to this once erected
    https://www.facebook.com/1482689662001133/photos/a.1730465527223544/1821768328093263/?type=3&theater

HI
    Just wondering, did you do the base yourself?
    I have just ordered a 3*3 shed from steeltech sheds. Finding very hard to get somone to do the base as per their spec ( strip frame-->shed erect-->DPM and inner concrete).
    Would you know anyone that can do a base for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

IMG-20200308-163731.jpg
    Nice! Did you paint the floor?

Still trying to decide on how I should do the paint on my concrete base when the shed is installed on it...

Some people say seal it with PVA, then a standard floor paint over it. Sounds good but I need to keep it smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Fabio wrote: »
    Nice! Did you paint the floor?

Still trying to decide on how I should do the paint on my concrete base when the shed is installed on it...

Some people say seal it with PVA, then a standard floor paint over it. Sounds good but I need to keep it smooth.

http://www.diy.com/departments/ronseal-diamond-hard-steel-blue-satin-garage-floor-paint-5l/58008_BQ.prd

Would this appeal to you? It looks a good colour when it's down. I'm considering putting it down on my concrete floor. Just hope it's not too slippy when wet.

http://www.diy.com/departments/ronseal-diamond-hard-steel-blue-satin-garage-floor-paint-5l/58008_BQ.prd

Would this appeal to you? It looks a good colour when it's down. I'm considering putting it down on my concrete floor. Just hope it's not too slippy when wet.

No - just tile it - the paint will be more than slippy when wet. It doesn't wear well anyway. When you put down your sidestand/centrestand on it, you fracture the paint and when moisture gets in, the paint lifts. Same for grit/small stones on your tyres. Warm/hot tyres mark it too, so it gets grubby.

Get some non-slip tiles (used in commercial kitchens etc), laid to a slight fall (to ship water, when you park wet stuff on it).

518454.png

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

That would work for me. I need to let the concrete dry out fully yet, the shed is only up as of this morning so I suppose I should wait a few weeks to let all moisture exit the concrete.

As for tiles.....I'm not gone on them. I wouldn't usually be bringing the bike in wet and I need a smooth floor in order to move it around on a dolly (small wheels so crevices etc wouldn't be fun).

Advertisement