Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre question

Options
  • 09-06-2018 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I have two bikes , a racer and a touring bike .

I wanted to put more racier Tyre’s on toura because it has quite nobbly Tyre’s on it and I’m using it for road training . The toura is a Merida urban cross

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/trekking-city/city/2018/crossway-urban-100-9424.html

Chain reaction live chat said I’d have no problem putting on a 28 but it might be tight going on.

The Tyre’s are 700–35 on toura by way

So I tried for Craic putting on my old 25s because they are in ok condition and they went on ok, a bit tight but I didn’t need levers . I only put 80 psi into Tyre’s and took it around block and it feels brilliant ...

Am I missing something ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

I’d say they meant tight for clearance from the frame , I’d be putting 100psi in them though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

moonshadow wrote: »
    I’d say they meant tight for clearance from the frame
    but the change is putting narrower tyres on than were previously on the bike, from what i understood? going from 35s to 28s - the bike is supplied with 35s.

re pressure - all depends on your weight. i keep my 25s at 80psi and they're fine - i'm 75KG. they're fairly puncture resistant tyres anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

This is images of said Tyre set up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

This is images of said Tyre set up

They ain’t in ok condition they are for the bin .

moonshadow wrote: »
    They ain’t in ok condition they are for the bin .

Sorry yes you are correct actually , these are years old , I have another set of 25s spare at another location that are way better .

But I’ll probably end up buying a new set of 28s , I only just spent 100 euros on new 25s for racer so can’t buy any just yet or wife will kill me.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Don't put skinny tyres on the merida. Get nice 35mm slicks and run them at 50psi. You'll have lovely comfort and just as quick. Narrow tyres at higher pressure will feel faster because you'll get high frequency vibrations which are damped out by wider/softer tyres but the softer tyres roll better on poor road surfaces...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sorry yes you are correct actually , these are years old , I have another set of 25s spare at another location that are way better .

But I’ll probably end up buying a new set of 28s , I only just spent 100 euros on new 25s for racer so can’t buy any just yet or wife will kill me.... ;)

What tyres did you buy for €100? 2x Contis are €72

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Get some vittoria voyager hypers 35 from Planet X. They're super fast rolling. I'm surprised cdaly didn't mention them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^
    I knew another convert would step up to the mark... :cool:

Weepsie wrote: »
    Get some vittoria voyager hypers 35 from Planet X. They're super fast rolling. I'm surprised cdaly didn't mention them

Thanks for heads up , I have to agree that no point having two different bikes and running same tyres off both .

Postage on planet x is a bit saucy at over 13 quid !! Anyone have any promo codes , or alternativly I could get them posted to my Welsh home address as I'm visiting in 4 weeks .

Thanks again for help people .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Depends on whether you've enough for free UK postage (I always seem to fill a planet x basket with lots of small bargains saving myself loads!), but there is always Addresspal/ parcel motel.

Advertisement