Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silicon Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Ya, I saw that in the Info, Silicon Sligo might be pushing it but things are looking up. A big question here is why were the national roads in Sligo neglected for so long, the worse sections of the Limerick Derry route and Sligo Dublin route are all in Sligo. There was never any clamour about the N4 until the crosses went up while the Chumpion and to a lesser extent the Weekender were obsessed with the white elephant that is/was the Eastern Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

These are exactly the type of jobs Sligo needs, hopefully there's plenty more to come along.

The M4 needs to be completed as far as Sligo to improve the transport links as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

The fact that Sligo hasn’t had a big name prominent politician/minister in donkeys years is surely a huge factor in the local road infrastructure been stagnant for so long. Donegal,Mayo,Galway etc all have or had numerous big name ministers and it’s surely no coincidence that the roads around there are far superior than Sligo. I don’t see the current crop of politicians in Sligo making much difference in the future either.

Leitrim was represented by the same TDs as us and yet the Tullaghan section of the N15 and the Leitrim section of the N4 are excellent roads. Sligo CoCo under Hubert Kearns and local media during his reign showed no interest in improving these routes, a cynic suggested to me that the CoC didn't want to make it easy for people to travel to other towns to shop.

Ciaran Hayes seems to me to have prioritised transport developments that attract employers rather than those enriching landowners and this policy is now paying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Leitrim was represented by the same TDs as us and yet the Tullaghan section of the N15 and the Leitrim section of the N4 are excellent roads. Sligo CoCo under Hubert Kearns and local media during his reign showed no interest in improving these routes, a cynic suggested to me that the CoC didn't want to make it easy for people to travel to other towns to shop.

Ciaran Hayes seems to me to have prioritised transport developments that attract employers rather than those enriching landowners and this policy is now paying off.
    No way is the Leitrim section of the n4 superior. Up until a month or two ago there were massive craters at the turn off for mohill that we’re there for the best part of 6 months and a ****e job of fixing them.not to mention all the parts that are thread bare.

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    No way is the Leitrim section of the n4 superior. Up until a month or two ago there were massive craters at the turn off for mohill that we’re there for the best part of 6 months and a ****e job of fixing them.not to mention all the parts that are thread bare.

Sorry, I ought to have been specific I meant the Colloney to Castlebladwin section which is easily the worst section on the N4 and I don't mean in terms of repairs I mean is there a hard shoulder, is the road straight, can traffic turn off the road without blocking traffic behind, have blind spots been eliminated etc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Promising news. This could be start of a real turning point for Sligo where it finally realizes its full potential and re-establishes itself as the urban Centre of the North-West.

We’ll have to wait and see!

Advertisement