Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'S' On Firearms Certificate?

Options
  • 09-06-2018 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

I don't recall applying for a moderator with my license, but there is an 'S' at the end of my cert number on the card I got, wiki says this signifies I can have a moderator. But on the piece of paper that the card came with it doesn't have an 'S'.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭German pointer

The "S" for a moderator is on the bottom left corner of the license under the words Firearms Certificate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I added the "S" to this picture but it shows where the "S" that signifies you are authorised for a suppressor should be.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

Mine has that S in the same spot, but not on the piece of paper it came from. I don't recall applying for a moderator, which is the confusing part.

I guess I'm safe to purchase one then?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

I applied for a moderator and got my S on my card but it didn’t say anything on the letter, same for my last two licenses
    Maybe you got lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

If doesn’t say anything on the letter the card punches out from.

• Advertisement

Mine has that S in the same spot, but not on the piece of paper it came from.
    There is no notification of the authorisation on the grant letter or the letter the actual license is attached to. Only on the actual card.
    I don't recall applying for a moderator, which is the confusing part.
    It's a box you tick in section 3.2 of the FCA1, beside "Sights". If you ticked this box, didn't supple a reason(s), and they still granted it, then it's granted regardless.
    I guess I'm safe to purchase one then?
    If it's there then yup.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Always keep copies of anything you send in. Its not uncommon for paperwork to get filed in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

I asked for one got told on the phone that it wasn't being granted and then it was on my licence when it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I asked for one got told on the phone that it wasn't being granted and then it was on my licence when it came out.

Same here - I even got a letter telling me it wasn't going to be granted!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I requested one and got no S.

I also requested 500 rounds and was granted 100 even though I put in a covering letter explaining the cost savings and the long journey required to the nearest gun dealer.

I used 85 rounds today sighting in the rifle and having a bit of sport shooting targets.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I requested one and got no S.

I also requested 500 rounds and was granted 100 even though I put in a covering letter explaining the cost savings and the long journey required to the nearest gun dealer.

I used 85 rounds today sighting in the rifle and having a bit of sport shooting targets.

Did you query why you didn't get an S on your licence? I went into the Gardaí when the same happened to me and asked what the story was. They said they'd get back to me. Four days later a new licence arrived with the S on it. The Garda said that someone on their side missed ticking the box for the S. That might be a load of crap but I got what I applied for so all is well.

Also ask about the ammo limit and explain again why you need a higher amount. Maybe they will change it. Worth a try.

I didn't ask about it yet, I was just happy to get the rifle and have a go off it to be honest.

It would be very practical though, same with the ammo, the nearest fella to me selling .22 bullets is an hour drive each way.

I'll call the Garda that dealt with the application and ask him, in fairness to him he is very helpful and courteous.

He's usually on the ball so I'll probably end up writing a letter of appeal and hopefully getting both things granted.

I paid 7.50 each for 2 packets of 50 bullets, if I could buy 500 at a time they'd probably cost half that, with the silencer as well then I could continue to shoot away safely where I am without disturbing man, woman or beast.

I have it sighted in now at about 25 yards and I need to be more accurate before I move back a bit, loads of room for improvement but I just need plenty practice.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

I didn't ask about it yet, I was just happy to get the rifle and have a go off it to be honest.

It would be very practical though, same with the ammo, the nearest fella to me selling .22 bullets is an hour drive each way.

I'll call the Garda that dealt with the application and ask him, in fairness to him he is very helpful and courteous.

He's usually on the ball so I'll probably end up writing a letter of appeal and hopefully getting both things granted.

I paid 7.50 each for 2 packets of 50 bullets, if I could buy 500 at a time they'd probably cost half that, with the silencer as well then I could continue to shoot away safely where I am without disturbing man, woman or beast.

I have it sighted in now at about 25 yards and I need to be more accurate before I move back a bit, loads of room for improvement but I just need plenty practice.

While not much good for target shooting, Federal Bulk pack .22lr come in boxes of 525 so look for that amount. Print out a pic of a box from the internet and show him it. They are usually about €50 or there abouts.

If you are granted your moderator, you'll need to shoot with subsonics and they are more expensive.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    While not much good for target shooting, Federal Bulk pack .22lr come in boxes of 525 so look for that amount. Print out a pic of a box from the internet and show him it. They are usually about €50 or there abouts.

If you are granted your moderator, you'll need to shoot with subsonics and they are more expensive.

€29.95 in Outdoor Sports last time I bought it there!

Gravelly wrote: »
    €29.95 in Outdoor Sports last time I bought it there!

Good price for 525. Pity they are no use for target shooting.

Good price for 525. Pity they are no use for target shooting.

Great for plinking eh, I mean zeroing the rifle, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Definitely worth querying the limit with a phone call first.
    The wife and I both got licensed on the same .22 and we both applied for 1000 each. Licenses arrived with only 100.

Quick call to the guard who deals with the licenses and she said they weren’t happy with the wife having more than that as it was her first license but changed mine to 1000 as I’d had a shotgun for a long time.

I’m happy with the compromise as I buy all the ammo anyway.

Thanks for the advice, I'll apply for 525 once I have a chat with the Garda.

How much would 500 subsonics cost roughly?

When you say 'not much good for target shooting' are you talking a huge difference, or like the difference of maybe 1 or 2% over 50 shots kind of a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

When you say 'not much good for target shooting' are you talking a huge difference, or like the difference of maybe 1 or 2% over 50 shots kind of a thing?

Try CCI sv €90 per 1000 about the best budget round for informal target shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Cci sub sonic are 12 quid for 100 last time I bought ammo, and the federal are fun but inconsistent that's why there not good for target shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Quick call to the guard who deals with the licenses and she said they weren’t happy with the wife having more than that as it was her first license but changed mine to 1000 as I’d had a shotgun for a long time.

I would love to be able to understand the rational of AGS not being happy with someone having 1000 rounds of 22long on their first licence or any licence for that matter.
    You have applied,you’ve been vetted ,you’ve been deemed worthy of having a firearm (legally).
    But OH NO 1000 rounds ! Might turn you into a bad person. You could possibly be exposed to too much lead ?

Sika98k wrote: »

I would love to be able to understand the rational of AGS not being happy with someone having 1000 rounds of 22long on their first licence or any licence for that matter.
    You have applied,you’ve been vetted ,you’ve been deemed worthy of having a firearm (legally).
    But OH NO 1000 rounds ! Might turn you into a bad person. You could possibly be exposed to too much lead ?

She's hardly going to start a coup with a 22LR bolt action. I really don't understand the logic (if it can be called that) behind firearm licensing here.

Gravelly wrote: »
    She's hardly going to start a coup with a 22LR bolt action. I really don't understand the logic (if it can be called that) behind firearm licensing here.

I've a single shot .22lr rifle, the licence for which is currently being renewed. About three months after the renewal was submitted, I queried the Gardaí to see what the hold-up was. They got back to me saying that they were querying the amount of ammo I had on my licence. It's the same amount of ammo that was on it for the last six years. They wanted a letter from me explaining why I needed that amount of ammunition. I gave them the letter last weekend so I'll see what happens.

Bit over the top for a single shot bolt action rifle.

If you figure it out let the rest of us know.

Its the same rationale that turns an unrestricted shotgun into a "lethal weapon" if it has a pistol grip. Or an unrestricted pistol into a "death machine" because it has 6 shots instead of 5.

Even though functionally they are the exact same firearm they are deemed more dangerous because of a cosmetic change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

But OH NO 1000 rounds !  Might turn you into a bad person. You could possibly be exposed to too much lead ?
    They are aware that we share the same storage..... my 1000 can sit beside her 100 in the same safe but she's not allowed touch mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LONG DRAG

What does SE mean on a Rifle licence 🤔

Is it in the bottom left corner?

The S would indicate suppressor but the E is a new one to me.

From everyone I know with thermals or NV scopes they say there is no markings for sights like that on the license so it's probably not that and if you didn't apply for such sights then it's definitely not that.

Could be a typo.

Yes could be a typo, standard S on bottom left corner also to the right SE is writing, have no idea what it is.

So the SE is separate to the S for the suppressor which is also there?

That is weird.

Did you apply for anything outside the regular? Limited cert, NV sights, etc?

• Advertisement

Cant be sure, have Suppressor NV & Thermal, remember ticking 2 boxes, is this on the current application form.🤔

Advertisement