Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill creeping buttercup in lawn

Options
  • 09-06-2018 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

We got our new build lawn seeded last summer and it’s looking well this year with exception of a decent bit of creeping buttercup that has only appeared this summer. It’s about 1/3 acre and had good bit of topsoil brought in.

Any tips on most effective way to kill off the creeping buttercup before if takes over?
    Are the lawn herbicides any good? If so which is best?

Thanks

Comments

rodge123 wrote: »
    We got our new build lawn seeded last summer and it’s looking well this year with exception of a decent bit of creeping buttercup that has only appeared this summer. It’s about 1/3 acre and had good bit of topsoil brought in.

Any tips on most effective way to kill off the creeping buttercup before if takes over?
    Are the lawn herbicides any good? If so which is best?

Thanks
    Mortone or Mortox 50. You will get in a co op or the likes. Add 250 ml to a 16 litre knapsack of water. I use a double nozzle which gives a good wide spray width and walk up and down the lawn at a reasonable pace.

Off the top of my head you should be putting no more that 2.2 litres of Mortox per hectare so that's 220 ml per 1000sq m. so 1 knapsack per third of an acre is roughly it.

Also you shouldnt spray after a prolonged dry spell. Can burn the grass.

Keeping a high cut will also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

We have a problem with this also. Dicophar was recommend to us. It will kill the weeds but not the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mortone or Mortox 50. You will get in a co op or the likes. Add 250 ml to a 16 litre knapsack of water. I use a double nozzle which gives a good wide spray width and walk up and down the lawn at a reasonable pace.

Off the top of my head you should be putting no more that 2.2 litres of Mortox per hectare so that's 220 ml per 1000sq m. so 1 knapsack per third of an acre is roughly it.

Also you shouldnt spray after a prolonged dry spell. Can burn the grass.

Keeping a high cut will also help.

Unless there has been a change recently no MCPA product is licences to be applied via backsprayer, presumably for the users health.

Also MCPA products are licenced and unless op has training completed buying it could attract problems.

Advertisement