Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Faulty Nikon 18/55 DX VR Lens

Options
  • 10-06-2018 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I have a Nikon D3100 and it came with a 18/55mm DX VR lens.

Sometime last year i dropped the lens and broke it, so im only after getting around to buying a new one from www.e-infin.com

The lens is producing blurry pictures even on auto focus, not being able to fix it i took it the Whites in Kilkenny. They looked at the lens and said its a newer model of the one i broke (as its a lot slimmer looking) but it should work perfectly in my camera, they suggested updating the firmware on my camera first and that should do the trick.

Got home and updated the firmware but im still having the problem of blurry pictures, any one any ideas whats wrong, could i have a faulty lens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I have a Nikon D3100 and it came with a 18/55mm DX VR lens.

Sometime last year i dropped the lens and broke it, so im only after getting around to buying a new one from www.e-infin.com

The lens is producing blurry pictures even on auto focus, not being able to fix it i took it the Whites in Kilkenny. They looked at the lens and said its a newer model of the one i broke (as its a lot slimmer looking) but it should work perfectly in my camera, they suggested updating the firmware on my camera first and that should do the trick.

Got home and updated the firmware but im still having the problem of blurry pictures, any one any ideas whats wrong, could i have a faulty lens?

Can you post the full model number off the lens, please? Or alternatively the product page? If it is an af-p one (as opposed to af-s) as I recall the D3100 won't auto focus with it as it just doesn't support it, and the description of the size difference has me wondering about that. The AF-P lenses are also conspicuous by their absence of any controls from the lens body, VR and AF are controlled from within the camera menus.

Oh, and manual focus won't work either with this combination as the focus ring is simply an electronic control linked to the camera's focus motor, rather than the more traditional mechanical approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 freeflowing

thanks for the reply.

Its an af-p lens - from what you say this is my problem, should i return it so???

https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/2936/nikon_af-p_dx_nikkor_18-55mm_f/3.5-5.6g_vr_lens_(white_box)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

thanks for the reply.

Its an af-p lens - from what you say this is my problem, should i return it so???

https://www.e-infin.com/eu/item/2936/nikon_af-p_dx_nikkor_18-55mm_f/3.5-5.6g_vr_lens_(white_box)

Yeah, if EInfinity will take the return (they don't have to as theres not necessarily a problem with the lens, unless they advised you it would be compatible?) it strikes me as your best bet, that or sell it on second hand. From what I recall that lens type needs the D3300/D5300 generation or later of camera body

• Registered Users Posts: 17 freeflowing

cython wrote: »
    Yeah, if EInfinity will take the return (they don't have to as theres not necessarily a problem with the lens, unless they advised you it would be compatible?) it strikes me as your best bet, that or sell it on second hand. From what I recall that lens type needs the D3300/D5300 generation or later of camera body

I did ask the question before i bought and they told me that it was compatible so id imagine id have no problem in returning the lens, will send them and email now so.

Thanks for helping me out, appreciate it....

Advertisement