Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Furniture

Options
  • 10-06-2018 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Now that the sunshine seems to be dissapearing I am trying to purchase some garden Furniture.

The Applaro range from Ikea looks good and I had a number of items in basket , but then read reviews saying it's notorious poor for fading and cracking and you would need to stain it least twice year.

Rattan seems to be taking over the outdoor furniture world. I do prefer the look of wood but perhaps the benefits of low maintenance outweight the aesthetic of wood.

Wonder what people who have harden furniture recommend?

Budget in region of 1k-2k for table chairs and some accessories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not mad on that plastic rattan stuff. I've a swing chair with it, and as soon as one bit breaks the whole thing unravels.

The best garden furniture I've bought is cast-iron effect aluminium. Still looks as new after 10 years, never covered, just stick the cushions in a garden storage box.

Also, Ikea seems to be the only place in the country selling height-adjustable parasols.

Bbsq_Ow_K.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Lumen wrote: »
    Not mad on that plastic rattan stuff. I've a swing chair with it, and as soon as one bit breaks the whole thing unravels.

The best garden furniture I've bought is cast-iron effect aluminium. Still looks as new after 10 years, never covered, just stick the cushions in a garden storage box.

Also, Ikea seems to be the only place in the country selling height-adjustable parasols.

Bbsq_Ow_K.jpg

thanks the decking i have doesnt really suit cast iron type.
    im not a big fan of the look of rattan either.
    would really like to get a wooden set of tables and chairs but teak seems to be the only thing that handles the weather well and its really in short supply in Ireland it seems for good quality teak garden stuff.

not sure how eucalyptus fares in the weather

I've had so much trouble with wood garden furniture. Even if it's not falling apart, it seems to stain really badly.

Maybe I'm just too lazy to maintain it properly, but I've always something else I'd rather be doing.

How about recycled plastic? Environmentally friendly and can look great if you like the chunky style.

recycled-plastic-products-picnic-benches.jpg

That IKEA stuff looks like it would last about 5 minutes.

• Advertisement

That IKEA stuff looks like it would last about 5 minutes.

haha i can imagine it coming through the window in a storm.
    i must say i do like the teak stuff from here , bit of a comprise with rattan and teak
    https://www.outandout.com/Regency-4-seater-compact-dining-set-out-and-out-original?sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=30://

they do eucalyptus hardwood as well but id imagine teak is better
    https://www.outandout.com/Parsons-13pc-Garden-Wooden-Dining-Set-With-Cushions?sort=p.price&order=DESC&limit=30#tab-attribute

really limited selection in Ireland for good quality timber stuff from what i see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

We live on the coast, and wood rots and metal rusts. The only thing that lasts here is the recycled plastic mentioned above. Its a bit more expensive than regular patio furniture but so worth it. We got a bench & low table for 500 from guy at National Ploughing couple of years ago.

edit: here is their site
    irishrecycledproducts.ie

Iroko is supposed to be similar wearing to teak.

This stuff looks ok...

http://mccallsfurniture.com/

We live on the coast, and wood rots and metal rusts. The only thing that lasts here is the recycled plastic mentioned above. Its a bit more expensive than regular patio furniture but so worth it. We got a bench & low table for 500 from guy at National Ploughing couple of years ago.

edit: here is their site
    irishrecycledproducts.ie

Thanks for that link.
    Does teak really rot , I know the cheaper woods do but thought quality teak just greyes.

Iroko is supposed to be similar wearing to teak.

This stuff looks ok...

http://mccallsfurniture.com/

Ha was just browsing same site. That stuff does look good. I think it's that African type "teak" and probably as close I would get to teak here. There's is a lengthy post on boards about teak saying it's all Iroko in Ireland and you find actual teak anymore or find it very difficult to get.
    Also be nice to support Irish manufacturing rather than Ikea or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

john_doe. wrote:
    Thanks for that link. Does teak really rot , I know the cheaper woods do but thought quality teak just greyes.

The good hard woods wont rot any time soon, but need staining (if you dont like the grey).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 flush1

pm sent

The good hard woods wont rot any time soon, but need staining (if you dont like the grey).

Thanks that link you posted is great. Seriously considering my decking as well after a crap start to summer sanding stainning and yet still cracking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

john_doe. wrote: »
    Ha was just browsing same site. That stuff does look good. I think it's that African type "teak" and probably as close I would get to teak here. There's is a lengthy post on boards about teak saying it's all Iroko in Ireland and you find actual teak anymore or find it very difficult to get.
    Also be nice to support Irish manufacturing rather than Ikea or other.
    probably repeating what that post you refer to says, but i think the chances of getting genuine teak are slim to none now.

probably repeating what that post you refer to says, but i think the chances of getting genuine teak are slim to none now.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056604609/2

Old link but info is good.
    It's all Iroko now it seems marketed as teak.

Good link below on what real teak will do when weathered. it's impressive
    https://www.teakcloseouts.com/outdoor-teak-table-and-folding-chairs-s/51.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what little i can add to this - we have a set from B&Q, and store it indoors for 90% of the year. it's a tropical hardwood which we were never able to identify. i'd only go with wood if you have dry storage for most of the year; ours began to go a little black after a week outside a good dry spell.

what little i can add to this - we have a set from B&Q, and store it indoors for 90% of the year. it's a tropical hardwood which we were never able to identify. i'd only go with wood if you have dry storage for most of the year; ours began to go a little black after a week outside a good dry spell.

Thanks for all info folks , in between the recycled plastic and the Iroko at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

What was the Aldi rattan furniture set like anyone tried it it was cheap at 250

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I ordered this. Will do for outside the back door and will look next year for a bigger set when the patio at the end of the garden is done. €110 including delivery (only available for home delivery)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6183701.htm?desktopSiteActive=true&_$ja=tsid%3A30390%7Cprd%3A8088783&cjevent=0657af8e708411e880c101110a18050c

89-6183701-BCF814X.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Howzit17

john_doe. wrote: »

Thanks that link you posted is great. Seriously considering my decking as well after a crap start to summer sanding stainning and yet still cracking

Was thinking the same thing when I saw the decking, but then thought it might burn the feet off you when the sun’s out

• Advertisement

Found teak set here.

https://www.hayesgardenworld.co.uk/product/bramblecrest-teak-kempton-208-x-110cm-oval-table-six-chairs

Wonder what people thought .
    Expensive but if lasted for 10 years or so be worthwhile

Advertisement