Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online or B&M for basic machine

Options
  • 10-06-2018 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I'm just after a basic Desktop, higher end I3, 4gb ram should be loads, don't need graphics card, but I want an SSD 256GB I suppose, with a mechanical 1TB back up.

I have an LG Blu Ray in my current machine that I want to put in new machine, will this be difficult?

Bought current machine from HWVS years and years ago. Are prebuilt machines well built? Where do people buy them from nowadays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

petr1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just after a basic Desktop, higher end I3, 4gb ram should be loads, don't need graphics card, but I want an SSD 256GB I suppose, with a mechanical 1TB back up.

I have an LG Blu Ray in my current machine that I want to put in new machine, will this be difficult?

Bought current machine from HWVS years and years ago. Are prebuilt machines well built? Where do people buy them from nowadays?

https://www3.lenovo.com/ie/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/legion-desktops/legion-y-series-desktops/Legion-Y520-Desktop/p/90H7000VUK

This one was actually recommended to me on here as an entry level gaming pre-built machine and is currently down from €680 to €450.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    https://www3.lenovo.com/ie/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/legion-desktops/legion-y-series-desktops/Legion-Y520-Desktop/p/90H7000VUK

This one was actually recommended to me on here as an entry level gaming pre-built machine and is currently down from €680 to €450.

That's an insanely good price but if it's not for gaming, better off building a machine with better processor and an ssd as it'll perform a lot better for the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Just missing the SSD, theirs no option to add the "optional 256GB PCI-Express SSD storage".

PCI-Express - that's what the graphics card is in yea? Can you just buy any SSD and slot it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The more expensive models have SSD options. SSDs are either m.2 or Sata. I presume you could do either with that machine though you would have to check.

Still be better off building as you could get a processor twice as fast plus a 240GB SSD for the same price. The Lenovo is an amazing deal, but only really if you're looking for a gaming PC or want to play some games.

Advertisement