Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Australia

Options
  • 10-06-2018 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi all,

There are a group of us moving to Australia in a couple of months, we have the 417 visa sorted so at the flight booking stage now.

Just a few queries I have, a checklist or advice people had before going over or tips they had based on their experiences.

1. I have Irish health insurance, is it worth keeping this or getting different travel insurace?

2. My current car insurance - obviously I will want to cancel it but how does it work with not wanting to lose my no claims bonus?

3. We will be travelling through Dubai and Thailand on route over before settling in Sydney, any travel recommendations?

4. Bank accounts - is it worth setting up before you go over? Similar to phone provider? Assume the rates etc are quite similar across the range.

5. Jobs market - based on what I am seeing, there appears to be an abundance of jobs over there. We are going over as qualified accountants. The visa allows 6 months with one employer, presuming they are aware of this and doesn't cause issues.

6. How is the accommodation looking over there? Seems quite expensive at the moment

7. Do people send over packages in advance with clothes etc? We know people over there so would seem to make sense to send a big package in advance.

8. Is there any other tips or advice people have, things to do, things not to forget, other important bits of advice.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

1) Irish health insurance isn't much use over here AFAIK. You have free emergency reciprocal cover in hospitals. Get travel insurance with somebody like One Cover.

2) I think its not being insured for 2 years causes you to lose your no claims bonus. Check with your Irish insurer. It might be cheaper to pay for the policy while away rather than lose your no claims bonus. You're an accountant, you can work out the number ;)

3) No idea.

4) Easy to set up a bank account here. Walk in with passport and an address, even a hostel and you are sorted. the big 4 banks are everywhere. Same with phones.

5) Should be easy to get work. Due to the 417, it can be tricky sometimes to get an employer willing to take somebody on just for the 6 months for skilled roles. There is always temp contract work though. Be prepared to to take any work. Even data entry will pay at least $25 an hour which is roughly $1000 per week before tax. So you will get by.

6) Accommodation is expensive. Eastern Suburbs are tourist central with loads of backpackers, English, irish all looking to live there. It's competitive and overpriced. The Inner West is popular, close to everything. North Sydney is close to the city, work etc for offices. Manly is on the beach, a ferry ride to the city. A little bubble. Lots of English/Irish and expensive but nice.
    Heading out West it becomes cheaper but further from everything, less exciting. It depends where work is though.

7) Postage is expensive to and from here. Save the hassle. Bring what you need and get what you don't have when you get here. How many sets of boot cut jeans and GAA shirts will you need over here?

Advertisement