Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify shrub

Options
  • 10-06-2018 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

This is lovely. Anyone know the name? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Is it summer snow. Think it's an alpine. Good in rockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cerastium, aka snow-in-summer or summer snow. Pretty, easy and vigorous, and a useful space filler, a bit rampant for rockeries. Its a perennial plant, so it will keep coming each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

A friend gave me a bit of Cerastium about 25 years ago, and it’s still going strong.  It was lovely to have before we’d cultivated any garden, and it's still an asset now the garden’s fairly mature.

I bunged it in a leaky old bucket, as there was nowhere else.  It was joined by a bit of yellow Stonecrop we were given, and the grey and yellow happened to complement each other beautifully.  (They were in that temporary bucket for over 20 years).

They're still coexisting peacefully, and still not in the ground (organising good drainage for things here is a bit of a business).  They live on the terrace we now have, in a dark blue pot I moved the whole caboodle into a few years ago (only 9” across and 7” deep, but the rootball wasn’t very deep).  It looks even better now, with the greyish leaf whorls arranging themselves elegantly round the rim. (And weeds don’t get much of a look-in!).

Advertisement