Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maxtor portable external hard drive issues

Options
  • 10-06-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi. My wifes boss bought a 1tb 3.0 maxtor external hard drive and wants to use it to back up all his files to it. 1520,000 roughly 36gb.

Worked the first time but took a long time to transfer. Then done it the following again transfer time of about 24hrs but when she went back in it said not enough space on drive to copy. Clearly there was loads of space.

Also it doesnt overwrite or even give an option to overwrite the files that are already there. I havent been able to get in to get my hands on it to tinker with it myself.
    Anyone got any advice regarding speeding up and getting it to not copy duplicate files?
    Copying from shared files on computer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

A lot of small files will take up a predefined chunk of space, even if they don't fill that space. You haven't mentioned which file system, some handle small files better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A straight copy on NTFS with 1.5M files will always be dire.

Use a backup utility to manage this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lorcanot

Just found out more as im heading in tomorrow to take a look at it. The main computer they use as the home of the local network which is always on is an old tower not sure which windows. Maybe 7.
    But they have 2 new towers downstairs both on windows 10. Im wondering could i just use the back up file history on windows itself and get it to back up the shared folder to the external hardrive and let it do it weekly automatically on a day that my wife wouldnt be using the computer.
    Would it matter that someone would be accessing the shared files at the same time?

Advertisement