Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interim upgrade to m-itx

Options
  • 10-06-2018 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to get myself a Dancase C4 SFX once they are released and build a mitx machine to last me as long as my current pc has, if not longer. Right now I'm having some issues despite a fresh windows install and Lightroom is running quite slowly, it's time to do a partial upgrade.

I have at present as follows which will be upgraded
    AMD Athlone II X3 440 + Cooler
    8GB ram
    Nvidia 8800 GTX (to be upgraded later)

Samsung 850 ssd & some 2tb / 3tb drives (to be kept until I can afford a M2 drive + smaller discs)
    Corsair psu which should be ok until I go mitx.

It's been awhile since I've upgraded, as can be seen above, I can only do the CPU, Mobo, Ram and cooler for now. The Gpu will probably be a bottle neck until I can get a 1050 or 1060, neither Revit or lightroom rely to heavily on the pgu and should be ok for the moment!

A quick bit of googling and look on Scan.co.uk (is this still a good place to buy?) and I have this
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe - BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 45.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($68.89 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix H370-I Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($132.27 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2933 Memory ($184.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $685.13
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-10 17:03 EDT-0400

How does this look? Can I do better? I chose this motherboard as it has a digital out which I'll use on my receiver (my creative live sb xfi elite prob will be missed). I don't see myself overclocking at any point however I do want a fast cpu, I'm willing to sacrifice a little speed for the lower tdp cpu above. For cooling the Dancase has limited height, I may use the same cooler (if compatible) or go water when that happens, for now I just want to to be as inaudible as possible.

I think thats about it, how does the above look? Can it be improved, price reduced?

Advertisement