Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who wins the World Cup 2018 Golden Boot?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lionel Messi (Arg) 9/1
    They won 1 game in normal time in the Euros.

Ireland managed to win more points in the group than them but they went through as one of the best 3rd placed teams.

Rest was history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lionel Messi (Arg) 9/1
    I didn’t even consider him for golden boot.

Yeah but we are all fools to not put a few bob on the two greatest goalscorers of our time to end up with the golden boot.
    I mean they have been so far ahead of the rest that it's stupid not to back them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Edinson Cavani (Uru) 20/1
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    They won 1 game in normal time in the Euros.

Ireland managed to win more points in the group than them but they went through as one of the best 3rd placed teams.

Rest was history.

Cr7 scored a hat trick against hungary in a 3-3 draw iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Ignoring "own goal", who's having a stormer (These are top scorer odds, not Golden Boot, for GB only Dzyuba has an assist)
    Cristiano Ronaldo(Portugal) 4 7/4
    Denis Cheryshev (Russia) 3 55/1
    Artem Dzyuba (Russia) 2 410/1
    Diego Costa (Spain) 2 6/1
    Harry Kane (England) 2 8/1
    Romelu Lukaku (Belgium) 2 10/1
    The top 3 have all played 2 games. Conceivably the top three will be drawn in a last 16 clash, if Spain top group B (on goal difference). That might make the value be one of the others, perhaps Costa. He's faced his toughest group opponents already and could be on 4 by tonight.
    Neymar and Griezmann ar 25/1 and Jesus 40/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Lukaku!

Don’t see Kane scoring again so Lukaku or Ronaldo will have to score 2 more to pass him.

Hopefully Lukaku is fully fit for the England game as I think Belgium will beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Romelu Lukaku (Bel) 16/1
    Don’t see Kane scoring again so Lukaku or Ronaldo will have to score 2 more to pass him.

I wouldn't be so sure. There's been a good amount of penalties given in the World Cup so far and Kane takes a good one.

Outside of shootouts England have never missed a penalty at the World Cup (10/10)

I reckon he gets one more at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Officer999

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    I'm going for a long shot.

Harry Kane to get a hat trick in a group game and finish joint top scorer with 5.
    England to get to the semis.

Did you put money on this??

Not such a long shot after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Officer999 wrote: »

Joint top scorer will hardly be 5 now though.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. There's been a good amount of penalties given in the World Cup so far and Kane takes a good one.

Outside of shootouts England have never missed a penalty at the World Cup (10/10)

I reckon he gets one more at least

I think they have been average.

Think I watched the game up to 4-0. If I’m not mistaken their first 6 goals of the tournament came from set pieces.

He is a danger from the penalty spot but I don’t fancy them to even make the quarters.

I’m hoping Belgium can make it to the semis to be guaranteed another game. Third place play off game could decide the golden boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Romelu Lukaku (Bel) 16/1
    Unearthly wrote: »
    If Werner is 1st choice then he has a chance. Germany usually get to semi finals at worse and score plenty

Solid prediction

Januzaj, with possibly one of the stupidest goals ever, more than likely putting paid to Lukaku’s chance of the golden boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Januzaj, with possibly one of the stupidest goals ever, more than likely putting paid to Lukaku’s chance of the golden boot.

how was it stupid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Harry Kane (Eng) 14/1

Your comment is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

You’re so right. How insensitive of Januzaj to score a goal for his team at the World Cup to top the group with three wins and keep the momentum rolling into the next round. Stupid, stupid goal.

• Advertisement

Eh. Have a look at both side of the draw lads.

Just robbed themselves of a very likely semi final game against Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cristiano Ronaldo (Por) 16/1
    Eh. Have a look at both side of the draw lads.

Just robbed themselves of a very likely semi final game against Spain.
    what are you on about? Good chance of a few goals for Rom against Japan so I would say it was ideal!

17 changes made by the managers in that game.

It’s not complicated.

Finishing 2nd in that group gave a fantastic opportunity to reach the semis.

Not one manager on the planet would choose a quarter final against Brazil rather than Sweden or Switzerland.

If you can’t see that then nothing more I can say to help you understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cristiano Ronaldo (Por) 16/1
    Sorry I forgot Colombia were giving them a bye in the last 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Not one manager on the planet would choose a quarter final against Brazil rather than Sweden or Switzerland.

If you can’t see that then nothing more I can say to help you understand.

You don’t seem to understand that the Round of 16 comes before the Quarter Finals.

• Advertisement

Some level of dumb going on in here.

Anyone care to explain why both managers sent out their second team if they wanted to top the group ?

Or is it just shortsighted arguments for the sake of it ? ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lionel Messi (Arg) 9/1
    Sorry I forgot Colombia were giving them a bye in the last 16
    Colombia haven't been very good so far. England certainly won't fear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you handed me €1000 to put on the game, I'd put it on England tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That said. Players like Cuadrado and Falcao with a lot to prove to English football and James capable of doing it in any game they have to be respected. There's all this goodwill about England and I do like them this year but the Colombia team aren't a walkover by any means.

Switzerland have gotten a draw with the dreaded Brazil already so why are they suddenly a bad team? Spain/Croatia? The easy draw is a ridiculous myth, especially for a team with as few knockout wins as England.

I'd have England as favourites to get the 2 wins at least but not be surprised if they went out in either of them. I'd be very surprised if they'd gone out to Japan on the other side of the draw and believe Belgium to be better than Brazil so doesn't change much for me tbh at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Timo Werner (Ger) 14/1
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Colombia haven't been very good so far. England certainly won't fear them.

All depends on James. With him on the field, they've played arguably close to the best football in the tournament. Without him, they've played amongst the worst.

Signs are that he'll be playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Gabriel Jesus (Bra) 14/1
    Officer999 wrote: »
    Kenjataimu wrote: »
    I'm going for a long shot.

Harry Kane to get a hat trick in a group game and finish joint top scorer with 5.
    England to get to the semis.

Sorry, only saw your reply now.
    I was close but not close enough, just as well I didn't bet on it.

Is it only Lukaku who could catch him now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Lukaku to score a hat-trick the next day and troll Kane :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Lukaku to score a hat-trick the next day and troll Kane :pac:

Both 20/1 before tournament started and both sitting in top two spots. The guys who pointed out that Belgium and England were in weak group were right.

Advertisement