Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My 50 year old neighbour on Disability

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Wibbs wrote: »
    I didn't see any references to race? :confused:

Dunno what the last bit means TBH, but again you only suspect this guy, you don't know it's him.

The only reference to race was made by the OP.
    The thread is complete fantasy. I wouldn't waste your coherent answers on the OP's Walter Mitty style invention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭damianch

Wibbs wrote: »
    No, but I find when dealing with people what you put out, you generally get back. Human social dynamics and all that. I would bet the farm that if you'd come along and just said my car got keyed last night. I have my suspicions who did it, any advice? you would have gotten a very different overall response.

Yep, you do. Humans are social animals. Individuals that don't actually care are the minority and it's rarely for the better.

For a start a goodly chunk of those who replied to you are women. Secondly the interwebs tends to be reactive by nature when it comes to interaction. Outside of invite only socially "safe" areas like say Facebook groups. With open forums you get all sorts and again the vibe you put out reflects that which you get back. I suppose that's why open forums are less popular these days. Society is more reactive and people prefer agreement.

I didn't see any references to race? :confused:

Dunno what the last bit means TBH, but again you only suspect this guy, you don't know it's him.

I won't be the one to explain all that stuff to you. I am sorry. I just don't want to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

damianch wrote: »
    Thank you so much for such a thoughful response.

I didn't throw a party however. If i did throw a party, the neighbour 6 doors down would compain!

Sorry, it's hard to gauge exactly what kind of noise we're talking about. You mentioned a BBQ with friends and music throughout the day. To your direct neighbour, that is a house party (just looking at it from his POV).
    The only music I allow in my house after 11pm is via the TV.

I know, I'm a dick. Im also a secondary teacher in Ireland .

Not really sure how to respond to those two pieces of information. I wasn't calling you a dick anyway.
    The guys disability is his back. He used to work at a job where he had to stand all day, and now he cannot stand. ( Thats what he told me)

Ok, your neighbour is Ivan Yeats so. That's the problem right there :pac:

Rules out my theory so.
    I really like the guy, but I hate that he complains behind me and scratches my car.

I have moved my car and I hope he realises that with me doing this he should stop.

Two things here...
    1. Aside from the comment about the smoke from the BBQ, has he made other complaints about you to other neighbours? Maybe I missed that in previous posts.
    2. You can't say for sure he has scratched your car. You may well suspect it, but you may also be completely wrong. Thread carefully there.
    If I raise it with him, I can never unraise it. I cannot be a little bit pregnant .

Like I suggested before, there seems to be a deeper ill-feeling developing between you and your neighbour. You need to the clear the air... ye are going to be neighbours for a (presumably) long time. Don't bring up the car, but do speak to him about the complaints he made about the party (and any others), and extend the olive branch.
    I might let it go for 1 more week. before i get cameras.

I just dont want to be that person who has to have cameras on their neighbour. As I know he someones Dad etc
    I just makes me feel so sad and I hate conflict so much. Even on here . People just seem so nasty

Regardless of who did it, a camera that has a view of where you park your car is a good idea. I'm not 100% sure but maybe check out (or someone here can guide) what the rules are about cameras pointing out on public spaces (if your car is not in a private driveway).

" Anytime I have a "late night" my car is scratched up a little bit more"

Ever think it's the people leaving the party doing it because they think you're a dick?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

What? Do you want a PC sentence so if I get it wrong you can run to the Twitter Wokes and Shame me?

If you want a proper reply PM me . As clearly you only care about the headline and not the content....

So its another AH social welfare "I pay my taxes" thread then? The car keying is only secondary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If you hadn't titled the thread "my neighbour on disability" id have a little more faith in your instinct. What does his source of income really matter to your problem? Why is it taking top billing over the actual problem?

Of course no one should be keying your car. I think for the sake of your future life there you need to be very careful who you accuse and on what evidence. So far we only seem to have that he's on social welfare and gave out about neighbours making noise. Get a camera or create a situation you think might result in your car being targeted and keep watch yourself to see who is doing it. Don't go accusing on the basis of the info you currently have.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    " Anytime I have a "late night" my car is scratched up a little bit more"

Ever think it's the people leaving the party doing it because they think you're a dick?

I live in a very quiet residential area. In fact its gated .

So no, we don't have that. And I am not being smart saying that. Its a pain in the ass ordering a Pizza as they have to be let in .

It will be okay. Just need to think out of the box now

I live in a very quiet residential area. In fact its gated .

So no, we don't have that. And I am not being smart saying that. Its a pain in the ass ordering a Pizza as they have to be let in .

It will be okay. Just need to think out of the box now

Not very quiet when you're in party mode according your disabled neighbour who pays €13 a week rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You gonna bring the neighbour on your Back, Sack and Crack party bus, OP?

Not very quiet when you're in party mode according your disabled neighbour who pays €13 a week rent.

Jaysus Bob, sorry we don't all live in the End of Times death house.

We had few beers on a band holiday weekend during the day when everyone else was doing the same .

And you Bob? Did you always sit at the front of the class and back off all parties and live you live a silent hanger on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I see two options:

1) tell him someone has been keying your car, ask him if he’s seen anything, and tell him you’re taking advice from the Gardaí.

2) hook the car up to the mains. Anyone who tries to key it gets a nasty shock. Just don’t forget about it yourself.

Jaysus Bob, sorry we don't all live in the End of Times death house.

We had few beers on a band holiday weekend during the day when everyone else was doing the same .

And you Bob? Did you always sit at the front of the class and back off all parties and live you live a silent hanger on?

Do you live alone OP in your mortgage free house?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I'd say its his mothers house and he lives in the basement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Oh god, please tell me this is a windup!

BAHAHHAHAHAH Bob, I love you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If anyone wants to know why anyone would key this persons car he has created another AH thread and is abusing people in it.

BAHAHHAHAHAH Bob, I love you.

You said 'Last Sunday, it was an awesome BBQ day, so we had people over and had music playing etc throughout the day, as did many neighbours'

While the use of the word 'awesome' is to be frowned upon it's the use of the word 'we' by someone who lives alone that has me confused. Royalty perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, how we got 3 pages when the answer is of course "install a camera" is quite amazing.

Given the OP's attitude, I would suspect that that between "I had a few friends over" and "my car got keyed", that a lot of "neighbourly" interactions occurred that we're not being told about.

If anyone wants to know why anyone would key this persons car he has created another AH thread and is abusing people in it.

Well spotted silent watcher. Something I do bother you? Or not?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, how we got 3 pages when the answer is of course "install a camera" is quite amazing.

Given the OP's attitude, I would suspect that that between "I had a few friends over" and "my car got keyed", that a lot of "neighbourly" interactions occurred that we're not being told about.

Sorry Seamus, I cannot even read what you say with her face as your pic. It makes me want to dig my eyes out . Im sure you are lovely though.

Well spotted silent watcher. Something I do bother you? Or not?

Never denied it

If you hadn't titled the thread "my neighbour on disability" id have a little more faith in your instinct. What does his source of income really matter to your problem? Why is it taking top billing over the actual problem?

Of course no one should be keying your car. I think for the sake of your future life there you need to be very careful who you accuse and on what evidence. So far we only seem to have that he's on social welfare and gave out about neighbours making noise. Get a camera or create a situation you think might result in your car being targeted and keep watch yourself to see who is doing it. Don't go accusing on the basis of the info you currently have.

Clearly you didn't read it... A problem that many suffer on here. Assumptions and no reading!

Ficheall wrote: »
    You gonna bring the neighbour on your Back, Sack and Crack party bus, OP?

If he pays he goes... This ain't no charity love

Fuaranach wrote: »
    I wasn't, and neither were any of the REAL MEN of After Hours who were too busy PAYING TAXES so that people like you could party like it's 1999. Oh. My. God. Like.

Amazing, so what do you do then? And what keeps you home this sunny monday morning in June?

Its kinda sad. If I say disabled and you don't know yet and we are talking about the same person we care about, No need for this madness

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Try_harder wrote: »
    Well that escalated quickly

Isn’t that exactly what you wanted with all the poking posts? I believe that their is a name for your type of posts?

Maybe “try harder” at something more productive in life or go outside for a walk, lovely day out and I’m sure the fresh air will do your head the world of good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

How are you going to fill the rest of the school holidays OP? You seem bored already.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

How are you going to fill the rest of the school holidays OP? You seem bored already.

I will probably do nothing. Might at best sit in the garden. Have been suffering with depression for the last 15 years and witnessed my mother die through tragic situations and as a result suffer from PTSD. So generally for me getting out of bed and having breakfast and dinner in the same day is a good day..,

What about YOU?

You must have loads of plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I will probably do nothing. Might at best sit in the garden. Have been suffering with depression for the last 15 years and witnessed my mother die through tragic situations and as a result suffer from PTSD. So generally for me getting out of bed and having breakfast and dinner in the same day is a good day..,

What about YOU?

You must have loads of plans?

Well I'm not off for the school holidays like you, so work mainly.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I never cried at any death in my life in my family, the mean spirted nature of your question has made me cry . i think you are just not very nice. I never hunt people down to hurt them. Please leave alone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I just moved into a new house.

I had chatted to my new neighbour before, 50, fairly stable, on disability.

The first thing he tells me is that he is on disability and he pays something lile 13 euro a week rent. So thats cool. Means nothing to me.

Then he starts laying down the law of the land .

Started off fairly normal . He was complaining about the other neighbours etc.

But now its gone to a new level. Anytime I have a "late night" my car is scratched up a little bit more.

Last Sunday , it was an awesome BBQ day, so we had people over and had music playing etc throughout the day, as did many neighbours.

The next day my car was keyed from front to back.

I am not saying it is this guy next door, but one of the other neighbours met me on the street last Sunday and she said that he had complained to her about the direction of smoke from the BBQ. Her BBQ not mine.

I own my house outright .

I am not moving because of a busy nody next door neighbour

Will I tell him ?

While scratching your car can't be excused, if you're blaring music throughout the day then I don't blame your neighbor for being annoyed.

While scratching your car can't be excused, if you're blaring music throughout the day then I don't blame your neighbor for being annoyed.

Yes I never did tho. Thanks for your input.

As I said, the neighbour is an ass hole, he has nothing to do . So loves to complain. No matter where you live, people will party from time to time. Last time I played music was the bank holiday day time, before that was Easter.

If he wants to live in a secure old folks home, i sure they will take him. But he is living beside young families, single people and old people. Do not tell me that because 1 person wants to object everyone has to fall on the sword.

I am going to have a party this week, on Friday. And next Saturday . And every Saturday until September.

And do you know why ??? Because the people on here supporting my neigbour are on par with Trump/Israeli Supporters.

So this Friday will be a Support Palestine Party !Chez Damo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

As I said, the neighbour is an ass hole, he has nothing to do . So loves to complain. No matter where you live, people will party from time to time. Last time I played music was the bank holiday day time, before that was Easter.

If he wants to live in a secure old folks home, i sure they will take him. But he is living beside young families, single people and old people. Do not tell me that because 1 person wants to object everyone has to fall on the sword.

I am going to have a party this week, on Friday. And next Saturday . And every Saturday until September.

And do you know why ??? Because the people on here supporting my neigbour are on par with Trump/Israeli Supporters.

So this Friday will be a Support Palestine Party !Chez Damo

You should be considerate of the people living beside you. Playing music throughout the day is annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

You'll only have yourself to blame if your car ends up like this then...

2215600420_c2b33af681.jpg

You should be considerate of the people living beside you. Playing music throughout the day is annoying.

It isn't every day, happened twice in 3 months . During the day at the weekend.

Do you have the same restrictions in your home?

I tell you what tho, since he complained and all of you guys... I am going to invite parties and share them on here.

because you guys cleary think I am a party animal partying all the time.

Everyone is entitled to have fun every month or they .

But now, I won't even worry one it
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Rechuchote wrote: »
    OP, you can always leave a spycam in your car, aimed at the space between the two cars. There are lots of the things disguised as other stuff.

I've seen a few videos of a spycam in a taxi. You'd be amazed at how some women get out of paying the fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Classic bitter old ****er I'd say.

Move out and rent the house to a Brazilian drumming ensemble.

I've been in a very similar situation. The person just expects you to comply with their rules in your own home.

Few things to note. If noise bothers him that much he shouldn't live in a built up area. Most people are reasonable and expect a bit of noise every now and then. Playing music the odd time isn't excessive.
    If he wants you to stop he has to take you to the circuit court. These people usually don't have the intellectual capacity or the wherewithal to do it.

Party on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

What does the personal disability have to with anything.

I'd say it one of your mates/party goer, drunk idiots usually do this . Anyway little bit of respect of your neighbours can go along .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Tell him the council will be making his house wheelchair accessible if your car is keyed again.

• Advertisement

somefeen wrote: »
    Classic bitter old ****er I'd say.

Move out and rent the house to a Brazilian drumming ensemble.

I've been in a very similar situation. The person just expects you to comply with their rules in your own home.

Few things to note. If noise bothers him that much he shouldn't live in a built up area. Most people are reasonable and expect a bit of noise every now and then. Playing music the odd time isn't excessive.
    If he wants you to stop he has to take you to the circuit court. These people usually don't have the intellectual capacity or the wherewithal to do it.

Party on.

Oh my god, you have just taken a weight of my shoulders. Thank you so much. Everything you say relates to my situation.

I dont have parties every night or week. I am mid 30s, we might have the energy 1 time per month and at that its not like we have Tiesto and strobe lights going to wendesday morning.

If we so play music its only through the TV via Spotify so even still limited with Volume.

I don't think it is wrong to have a late session once or twice every 3 months.

But unfortunately for me I know all about it and so does my car.

I am glad to chat to you because everyone else has made me out as a racist satan child with a penchant for sado nazisim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I wouldn't worry too much op. 'Normal' Irish summer will be along shortly and we'll all be inside watching rain run down the closed windows, noise will be less of an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

sideswipe wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much op. 'Normal' Irish summer will be along shortly and we'll all be inside watching rain run down the closed windows, noise will be less of an issue.

I was young once, but now I like seeing the rain arrive to drive the screaming monsters (children) back to their homes.

The rain washes the noise away....mmmmm rain....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I see where you are going, but I'll stop you there.

He said to me in the first convo with him that he was on disability and what he is paying. Before I nearly got my first name out.

I'd never question anyone on disability as I know how difficult it is to be approved for it. I wasn't putting him down in that regard .

Again OP what has it to do with the story. You could have left out the disability bit and pay only x amount in rent and your story be the same. It does seem you add it for effect. So as the other poster asked what has those 2 bits got to do with your car been keyed. You could have just as well put a title I think my 50 year old neighbor keyed my car.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I am glad to chat to you because everyone else has made me out as a racist satan child with a penchant for sado nazisim
    Not really. "Everyone else" can only go on what you say and how you say it. So it's more about seeking foregone conclusions to agree with one's own personal worldview.

Come along and act a certain way, then think it an "aha!" moment when people think or say you're acting a certain way. Your worldview confirmed. In this case it appears to be that people are mostly dicks/children and so forth. Job done. Not exactly the healthiest of mindsets. Then again I have found that people would rather be proven right than be happy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

But the issue is the keying of his car so why didn't the OP but that as the title rather then just My 50 year old neighbor on disability

dense wrote: »
    A lot.

He was demonstrating the local pecking order to the OP and basically telling the OP that he thinks he/she's a sucker for grafting and ponying up a mortgage when he has the same for €13 a week.

https://amp.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/david-mcwilliams/mystery-of-massive-rise-in-those-quitting-workforce-on-disability-29170473.html

I think your right about that but how is that a leap to he keyed my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

I have the opposite problem. This morning my neighbour cut the lawn at the front of my house and I'm pretty sure he washed my car as well. How can I stop this behaviour? It's like living next door to Ned Flanders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Malayalam wrote: »
    Sell your gaff and move to the countryside ... Some of us don't even bother to wash our faces out here.

Best thing I've read all week! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Has anyone suggested burning his house down yet? The OP's house, the neighbour's house, I don't mind which. Let's burn something.

Advertisement