Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I looking for Chef gift

Options
  • 11-06-2018 6:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, I'm looking for a chef gift. Please give me a suggestion!
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Could you maybe give us some more details? A gift for a chef, I assume? Do they have any preferred cuisines or ways of cooking?

I don't think you're looking for a gift from the Chef range of condiments, right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A voucher for a restaurant? Most chefs I know, rarely cook at home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

The Rosanna Davison cookbook. Real chefs love Rosanna.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lolta

What is his favorite dish?
    For me the perfect gift will be what will help him to cook his favorite meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fionawong

A bottle of Kweichow Moutai?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fionawong wrote: »
    A bottle of Kweichow Moutai?

That's rather an acquired taste, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fionawong

That's rather an acquired taste, to say the least.

Probably. But if you are looking for something which is his favorite, you need to know him personally well i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fionawong wrote: »
    Probably. But if you are looking for something which is his favorite, you need to know him personally well i suppose.

It's also insanely expensive!
    €188 for a 50cl bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Durnura wrote: »
    Hello, I'm looking for a chef gift. Please give me a suggestion!
    Thank you!

A good knife. By good I mean very good. Maybe something specific or unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Swampy wrote: »
    A good knife. By good I mean very good. Maybe something specific or unusual.

I'd not try this tbh. You could buy a pretty expensive knife, but it could be all wrong for the chef from the design of the handle, material, balance etc.

If this is for a pro chef, they might not even want something food related esp if they work in it all day. But, if they do, maybe try get something like a tasting menu somewhere unusual, so they can learn about something new or be inspired. Don't forget booze - alcohol can be a huge influence in meal so maybe something along those lines.
    Another idea is just a hamper of strange ingredients. Someone was recently asking about pomegrante molasses and its influences on a dish, but it's probably not something a chef would pick for themselves unless they had reason to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Durnura

In his free time, he likes the most to make a barbecue. He is very happy when do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Maldesu wrote: »
    I'd not try this tbh. You could buy a pretty expensive knife, but it could be all wrong for the chef from the design of the handle, material, balance etc.

Not a chef, but I would second this, knife choice is very personal. Alternatively you could get him a very good steel or stone for maintaining and sharpening his knives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

What about talking to him about the very best tool for chefs, and the best he's ever seen, and using that as a guide?

One warning - if you're getting him a knife, if he's Irish, you'll have to "sell" it to him (for 10 cents or something) because it's considered unlucky to give a gift of a knife, it "cuts friendship".

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lolta

Durnura wrote: »
    In his free time, he likes the most to make a barbecue. He is very happy when do this!
    So you can buy for him. Professional chopping board "regal cook", this is perfect for a barbecue

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not sure if you've already found something, but how about an old/antique book on cookery or something similar?

For instance, https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?cm_sp=sort-_-SRP-_-Results&kn=cookery&pt=book&recentlyadded=all&sortby=19

Advertisement