Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Sausages - like you get at food markets

• 11-06-2018 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm having a BBQ with about 50 people coming at the weekend and I'm trying to get sausages for hot dogs (not frankfurters, Irish style sausages).

I want sausages that are longer than the standard bread bun, so you've more sausage than bread - like you might get at the markets in People's Park in Dun Laoghaire or in Marlay park. The standard supermarket sausages are too short, you end up with a mouthful of nothing but bread at either end of the hot dog.

I've Googled to try and find the suppliers to the market vendors but I've had no luck. Any idea where might find some?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Definitely try some of the Polish stores, they do large sausages (not frankfurters) that would be perfect.

Example -

https://www.sweetpoland.com/store/kielbasa-cold-cuts/sausages/kielbasa-grillowa-barbeque-sausage-detail

There are a lot of varieties, and almost all stores supply them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I think you're in Dublin, but you'd definitely be able to get those in the English Market at O'Flynn's Gourmet Sausages in Cork. 260km drive for sausages might be a bit much.

Also, I've seen the in SuperValu, but a lot of the more gourmet stock varies from local store to stores, as they're franchises. Worth checking the better ones though.

In Dublin, I'd suggest just trying some of the better local butchers particularly any that are known for sausages, in Dun Laoghaire, try Hicks. In town try FX Buckley. Most of them should be able to help. Ring them first as they might even be able to do you up a batch of longer sausages.

A lot of people in food services would tend to use companies like La Rousse, but I think they're food-services sector only i.e. not direct to consumers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

For proper hotdogs, go for beef sausages, not pork. FXBuckley on Moore St makes their own which are great, and should be larger than your average hot dog bun. You could also give them a shout and ask them to make up 50/75x sausages that'll definitely fit the bill.

Tesco Finest have a black pepper and beef sausage, but it may not be as long as you want, and they're not always easy to get.

If you feel you're going to be pressed for time cooking for 50 people, fill a large pot with lager/water mix and bring to a low boil, pop the sausages in for about 20 minutes to cut down on cooking time on the bbq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Hi,

I'm having a BBQ with about 50 people coming at the weekend and I'm trying to get sausages for hot dogs (not frankfurters, Irish style sausages).

I want sausages that are longer than the standard bread bun, so you've more sausage than bread - like you might get at the markets in People's Park in Dun Laoghaire or in Marlay park. The standard supermarket sausages are too short, you end up with a mouthful of nothing but bread at either end of the hot dog.

I've Googled to try and find the suppliers to the market vendors but I've had no luck. Any idea where might find some?

Thanks!

Marks and Spencers have lovely ones called 'posh dogs' they're bigger than the normal ones and really nice too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hi,

Thanks!

Ah, Roy's Gourmet Sausages! Sometimes we'll drive from north county Dublin to Dun Laoghaire on a Sunday just for one of his rolls.

Superquinn used to do big sausage like that - not the jumbo ones but long thick ones> I don't know if Supervalu still do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Lidl have them. New range, Deluxe. 6 BBQ sausages @ 454g for 1.99. maynooth store has them anyway. Top shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There is a butcher at lambs cross that does jumbo sausages covered in either bbq or curry sauce they are unbelievable off the bbq, they are real pork sausages as we know them, I’m sure he does them without sauce if you got in contact. Unfortunately I can’t remember the name of the butcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

most butchers would have them, if not I'm sure a butcher will make some up for you if you're getting the rest of your meat there.
    For proper hotdogs, go for beef sausages, not pork.

don't do this - everyone likes pork sausages, beef ones are not the same flavour or texture and a lot of your guests won't like them. If they want beef, give them a burger.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Big ones in Aldi. Pork and Apple, spicey ones, and another with black pudding. Fab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

If you're in Dublin this guy from Slane is at the market every Saturday in Glasnevin
    He rears the pigs & makes the sausages, they're great (salt & black pepper my favourite).

He doesn't sell extra long ones but takes orders so I'm sure he'd make them up.

https://twitter.com/thewholehoggs

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Hicks Dun Laoghaire have big ones

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Remember to pour boiling water over your sausages and leave them in it for 10 minutes before barbecuing - it keeps them plump :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Crazyhorse99

Thanks everyone, lots of great advice! Hicks appear to have a great selection. I'll be trying the Polish ones at some stage too.

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You could always just "make" your own by taking your favourite normal sausages, untwisting the sections and squeezing the meat into whatever length you want, then twisting them off again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You could always just "make" your own by taking your favourite normal sausages, untwisting the sections and squeezing the meat into whatever length you want, then twisting them off again.
    Thats what I did before. Could be hassle doing 50 or so though.

Some regular supermarket brand, like denny, had ones they were calling hotdogs. I hope no yanks bought any presuming they were ready cooked. I have not seen them about in a while.

The other option is to just buy smaller rolls. You get small brioche rolls cheap enough. They are far easier to handle if people are just standing around trying to hold them, no hotdog or sauce falling out the end. The brioche buns are also delicious.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251931548

IMGP1386.JPG

Advertisement