Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing INFO thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The Galway Daily has filled the gap exceedingly well

https://www.galwaydaily.com/

Cool. Had been a fan of galwaynews which is now https://connachttribune.ie which doesn't seem to get updated over bank holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Anyone know what dates Aldi Oranmore are closing and reopening due to the refurbishment going on? Are they open today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Aldi is open today and not closing until 12th. Not sure when it is reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Happy Days at Galway Shopping Centre is closed. A bit of an institution gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Arghus wrote: »

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

According to its Christmas shopping hours it was always going to be closed on New Years Day.

How do know it's not re-opening as usual tomorrow?

RichT wrote: »
    According to its Christmas shopping hours it was always going to be closed on New Years Day.

There's a sign on the door saying they are closed after 30 years of trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

RichT wrote: »

Same question,what's your source Arghus?

There is a sign on their door saying that they are shut after 30 years of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There is a sign on their door saying that they are shut after 30 years of business.
    My edit didn't work on my above post, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That shop has been open for more than thirty years. It must have changed ownership part of the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I know of two other shops closing. One a clothes and the other a clothing accessories shop. Online trading is too competitive. A lot of people just using the end of year as a finishing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Many a Slush Puppy I bought there before going to the Omniplex.

Bit of a shocker that. I seem to remember they sold a lotto winning ticket or two some years back...

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

Bit of a shocker that. I seem to remember they sold a lotto winning ticket or two some years back...

Yes, I've bought a couple of winning tickets there myself. Biggest single ticket win of €168 in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Arghus wrote:

Great for a photocopy or two without worrying about parking. Will miss them for that. Staff always very helpful.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Great for a photocopy or two without worrying about parking. Will miss them for that. Staff always very helpful.

Staff were always very helpful for sure. I hope they got treated with a bit of respect, it seems like it was a quick end to the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Where will i get cheap lucky bags for the kids

Thats a shocker always seemed busy and stocked EVERYTHING

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Staff were always very helpful for sure. I hope they got treated with a bit of respect, it seems like it was a quick end to the business.[/QUOTE

Id say the store was losing money, no margin in retail unless you have Scale and multi sites its a waste of time given changing times...
    Sad day, more to come Id say especially independent operators .
    Also not sure how all the coffee and food places around town will survive
    VAT hike means either a 5 percent hit to the bottom line and most arent making much more OR a 5 percent price rise, most likely the latter in full.
    I know the town is Addicted to coffee etc and its like an arm extension but how high will you go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

youngrun wrote: »
    Staff were always very helpful for sure. I hope they got treated with a bit of respect, it seems like it was a quick end to the business.[/QUOTE

VAT hike

No vat hike took place. Let's not rewrite history. This is the removal of a tax break which was paid for by the government robbing private pension schemes through a levy.

• Advertisement

youngrun wrote: »

No vat hike took place. Let's not rewrite history. This is the removal of a tax break which was paid for by the government robbing private pension schemes through a levy.

Our rate of vat is crazy high to begin with. Should be no more than a single digit percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

OK let's get this thread back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭bobbyss

m17 wrote:
    This is where the westwood hotel used to be

Odd circular structure fenced off in centre of Westwood site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bobbyss wrote: »
    Odd circular structure fenced off in centre of Westwood site.

Did the hotel have a basement or something?

Lift shaft maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

New sign in the former Cooke's corner shop on Rahoon Road opposite the old Higgins hardware store and it says "Flanagan's Dancewear".

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

New sign in the former Cooke's corner shop on Rahoon Road opposite the old Higgins hardware store and it says "Flanagan's Dancewear".

About time! They have been working on that shop for over a year now.
    For a shop that depends on customers traveling to it, the parking is extremely limited. Hope it works out for them nevertheless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Is it true what I hear that Happy Days shop in closing? If so such a pity. Have great memories as a child given a treat from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Snapgal wrote: »
    Is it true what I hear that Happy Days shop in closing? If so such a pity. Have great memories as a child given a treat from there.
    Yes, there is a sign on the door, a photo of the sign on their fb page.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement

I spent many hours in happy days reading car magazines when I was younger sad to see it go but not a place I’ve been into myself for a long time which I suppose is similar for a lot of people.

Still would have thought it would have enough footfall where it is to do ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement