Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing INFO thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

All the stories are years old but labelled as December/January.

I assume they're just building a new re-launch platform but don't mean for it to be live, it looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Gotta Run in Oranmore is now closed. ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Not sure if it's new or just me not spotting it but new coffee wagon in the docks car park beside the payment machine.
    In a kinda related vein. The spot outside ocean towers opposite Black Rock where the coffee van used to set up seems to have been blocked off with concrete slabs. Always thought this was a privately owned spot. Also a planning application in for some sort of development of the old ruined cottage opposite the diving board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Elverys are pulling out of Edward Square as per the large 'to let' sign above the unit.
    Foot Locker closing in the next month or so, staff were informed this week.

• Advertisement

Elverys are pulling out of Edward Square as per the large 'to let' sign above the unit.

Wow

Elverys gone from Corbett court too?
    TBH I think retail is really going to struggle this year. Online may be convenient and price better but knockon is less shops and lower footfall
    May be all replaced by coffee shops i suppose

youngrun wrote: »

Wow

Elverys gone from Corbett court too?
    TBH I think retail is really going to struggle this year. Online may be convenient and price better but knockon is less shops and lower footfall
    May be all replaced by coffee shops i suppose
    Elverys has done f all business since they went in, the other one has been a sale shop since then too. They've no need for one in town when they've the large one catering for multiple sports on the Headford Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a weird one, Lifestyle on Shop Street seem to be doing OK and they are also in the same complex as Elverys.

Big shame about Gotta Run. I thought Galway had a good level of serious runners to keep the place going.

flazio wrote: »
    It's a weird one, Lifestyle on Shop Street seem to be doing OK and they are also in the same complex as Elverys.

Big shame about Gotta Run. I thought Galway had a good level of serious runners to keep the place going.

As a former one of these everyone seems to buy online these days...
    Lifestyle is as it says in the name essentially a fashion outlet for young people, so it does ok
    In my minds eye city centre will be some boutique shops, coffee shops and food places and a place to parade around town in 5 years, not sure if thats good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Worn Out wrote: »
    Gotta Run in Oranmore is now closed. ☹️
    That’s sad to hear! Trying to get into running and bought a pair of runners there only last Saturday. Both my parents are big runners so they used to always go in there.

Feared the worst when everything in the store was 50% off last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

youngrun wrote: »
    In my minds eye city centre will be some boutique shops, coffee shops and food places and a place to parade around town in 5 years, not sure if thats good or bad.

It's happening all over the world, online is really starting to bite.

Though i really don't understand how trying on shoes online works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It's all about going to the store, browsing, physically inspecting the item, feeling the quality, trying on, reading the fine details on packaging, maybe asking the store person some technical questions (where applicable) then going home (empty handed) and buying cheaper on-line.

Sad, but a harsh reality of today's world unfortunately. The people in the stores must hate it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rumour posts removed.
    See first post for directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There is a sign on the door of the unit where the oven door used to be saying bakery opening in February

Bubble Bee (picture of a coffee/tea cup on the sign) going into former Olga's unit on Abbeygate st.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Former Ulster Bank Newcastle being turned into doctor surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

zell12 wrote: »
    Former Ulster Bank Newcastle being turned into doctor surgery
    How do you know this, is there a sign on the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

biko wrote: »
    How do you know this, is there a sign on the door?
    Yes!
    There is a planning application on the door and the lamppost

Dr Abdul Rashid
    Permission for
    (a) change of use of the existing banking hall to the provision of doctors surgery
    (b) all associated elevation changes
    (c) all associated works at University Halls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

westgolf wrote: »
    Not sure if it's new or just me not spotting it but new coffee wagon in the docks car park beside the payment machine.
    In a kinda related vein. The spot outside ocean towers opposite Black Rock where the coffee van used to set up seems to have been blocked off with concrete slabs. Always thought this was a privately owned spot. Also a planning application in for some sort of development of the old ruined cottage opposite the diving board.

Does anyone know where this van has moved to?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Elverys has done f all business since they went in, the other one has been a sale shop since then too. They've no need for one in town when they've the large one catering for multiple sports on the Headford Rd.
    They've closed their branch on St Stephen's Green recently as well. They seem to be focusing on their larger, out of town premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Bredabe wrote: »
    Does anyone know where this van has moved to?

I've wondered that myself, maybe he's waiting for fairer weather??

Pity they made him remove his bench. I know planning has its place but more common sense could be used when it doesn't do any harm like the Claddagh Jewelry mural.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I've wondered that myself, maybe he's waiting for fairer weather??

Pity they made him remove his bench. I know planning has its place but more common sense could be used when it doesn't do any harm like the Claddagh Jewelry mural.

I know they are at the sat am fare in Dominick st, there was a big discussion on fb about them being forced to move from blackrock last night, the blackrock diving platform or the village salthill pages as best I can rem.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Not surprised about Elverys don't know what possessed them to open there when they had the store in Corbett Court and the other few dotted about the city, would be great to see that unit occupied by a retailer that doesn't already have a presence in the city, don't think it would be big enough for a Zara / H&M (unless they could add a Mezzanine) but maybe a Sostrene & Grene style store would do great there, or maybe Burtons could re-open in town now the Galway SC unit closed

Jammyd wrote: »

Not surprised about Elverys don't know what possessed them to open there when they had the store in Corbett Court and the other few dotted about the city, would be great to see that unit occupied by a retailer that doesn't already have a presence in the city, don't think it would be big enough for a Zara / H&M (unless they could add a Mezzanine) but maybe a Sostrene & Grene style store would do great there, or maybe Burtons could re-open in town now the Galway SC unit closed
    Sostrene would be the only viable one of those mentioned. Even then I do not think the unit lends itself to their usual look/feel.

Sostrene would be the only viable one of those mentioned. Even then I do not think the unit lends itself to their usual look/feel.

Are we both talking about the same unit? I'm talking about the Edward square one where Awear was previously located Vs the old outlet in Corbett court.. wouldn't see why the unit in Edward square wouldn't be adaptable for a clothing store given it was built with that purpose (acknowledging it's not the largest), no idea what could fill the other store in Corbett court it'll probably end up being another Aran sweater store 😂

Are we both talking about the same unit? I'm talking about the Edward square one where Awear was previously located Vs the old outlet in Corbett court.. wouldn't see why the unit in Edward square wouldn't be adaptable for a clothing store given it was built with that purpose (acknowledging it's not the largest), no idea what could fill the other store in Corbett court it'll probably end up being another Aran sweater store 😂

I see you edited your original message about clothing stores, agree that unit doesn't have the look/feel of a sostren store alright

I see you edited your original message about clothing stores, agree that unit doesn't have the look/feel of a sostren store alright
    No I didn't edit it, must have just misread it. Burton won't open as Arcadia are more likely to be closing small regional unprofitable stores rather than opening new ones. It's too small for a Zara or H&M also. I'd imagine the ceiling height is too much for a Sostrene. Hard to think of any other potential new tenants really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

...would be great to see that unit occupied by a retailer that doesn't already have a presence in the city, don't think it would be big enough for a Zara / H&M (unless they could add a Mezzanine) but maybe a Sostrene & Grene style store would do great there, or maybe Burtons could re-open in town now the Galway SC unit closed

Or even better, an independent retailer or local business. Go to any UK city and you'll see the same shops duplicated on every main street. Try go to these shops for a prize for a local charity raffle and they'll have to consult with their UK head office and then tell you it's not in their corporate policy. We have most of them here now :( but it would be great if they didn't wipe out every independent shop in Galway and we saw some more new local businesses.

Big ask for a local business im sure the rent is well north of 100 grand..
    Only the big ones will survive at this rate, ok Galway has some local stores but they are well established and probably low or no mortgages left
    V tough to get traction in todays market for a newcomer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

There's no chat allowed in this thread so back to actual announcements please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement