Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing INFO thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Bredabe wrote: »
    According to the trib, Salthill post office is moving to O'Connor's shortly,
    anyone know where exactly?

I saw that article too. It said the post office is moving to 'O'Connor's Centra', but didn't say when.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I didn't see the centra part, it will be a bit of a squeeze, will it lose some of its 'charm' in the move I wonder?
    I cant for the life of me see where they will be able to fit it in.

Gotta say Im delighted the 'old' po isnt going to be yet another hairdressers/coffee shop/pub.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I didn't see the centra part, it will be a bit of a squeeze, will it lose some of its 'charm' in the move I wonder?

What 'charm' does a PO have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

For some older people it can be one of their primary social outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Used to be a communication hub in the days of windup phones. Still an important social centre in many areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That particular PO does have some charme. It's quite old-worldy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Remember this thread is for information of services starting and stopping, not personal opinions of these services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

DFS sign now up on one of the units in wellpark

Shop in Abbeygate St .... used to be some other brand, then rebranded as Honeybee healthfoods, then rebranded as Molloys Lifestyle pharmacy: closed suddenly last Saturday with a sign up saying they regret having to take this untimely step due to unforseen circumstances and giving contact details (I have a pic ... can post later if anyone wants).

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Tescos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Tescos

Tesco opened up again this morning. Rumours it might close its door again tonight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

New Post Office premises is gonna be in Centra from what I heard and Go Dutch is going to take the old PO premises.
    I saw that article too. It said the post office is moving to 'O'Connor's Centra', but didn't say when.

Colleague was told that it would be 'new year' when the po opens in Centra, next new year I assume.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Looks like that IKEA-ish store Jysk is opening in Knocknacarra per there website www.gatewayretailpark.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Dfs the sofa chain are opening in Well Park. Beside home focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Jammyd wrote: »
    Looks like that IKEA-ish store Jysk is opening in Knocknacarra per there website www.gatewayretailpark.ie

That's interesting. It says on the website they are opening on 2nd April. I can't think of a vacant unit in the Gateway Retail Park at the moment so they must be going into one of the new units. I didn't think they would be ready so soon.

JYSK is coming to Ireland but highly doubt they'll open in Galway this April. Maybe they meant 2nd April 2020... :rolleyes:

In their press releases in January they said "The first Irish store will open in Naas, Co Kildare in April - with two further stores opening in Drogheda, Co Louth and Navan, Co Meath in May".

The Naas store is opening 2nd April so maybe they just lifted a graphic that was promoting that....

Edit: The Naas Retail Park is managed by the same crowd - probably just mixing up their content or copy/pasted the website content to create the Galway website and didn't do a full tidy-up.

Edit 2: Messaged them and they confirmed it was a content mix-up between the retail park websites. The "news" has been removed from the Galway website now.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Jammyd wrote: »

Along with Harvey Norman according to the website. It's 2020 not this year!

http://www.gatewayretailpark.ie/news/new-improvements-and-business-as-usual-at-gateway-retail-park/

New Mexican restaurant opened on Forster Street - Vocho.
    https://www.vocho.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

J o e wrote: »
    New Mexican restaurant opened on Forster Street - Vocho.
    https://www.vocho.ie
    Just the three or so years behind the trend then.

Phase 1 planning approved for Crown Square. As per Galway Daily.

Edit 2: Messaged them and they confirmed it was a content mix-up between the retail park websites. The "news" has been removed from the Galway website now.
    Any ideas if that means they're not confirmed for the retail park or not opening on that date?

• Advertisement

No reason to believe they're confirmed for Galway - that news post was meant for Naas Retail Park and Jysk haven't made any announcements about Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

DFS sign now up on one of the units in wellpark

Opening Saturday according to the advertiser

New Mexican restaurant opened on Forster Street - Vocho.https://www.vocho.ie

According to their website, Vocho are based in "the heart of the East Village on Foster Street". Did anyone ever hear of the East Village area in Galway before?!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I've seen Pucan use that before - trying to market that area to rival The Latin Quarter / West Village etc

Is this new Vocho place in between Murtys / Pucan. I've seen a container type building there just passing quickly the other day.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Is this new Vocho place in between Murtys / Pucan. I've seen a container type building there just passing quickly the other day.

Their website says the restaurant is made out of shipping containers so that must be it.

According to their website, Vocho are based in "the heart of the East Village on Foster Street". Did anyone ever hear of the East Village area in Galway before?!

... or "Foster" Street for that matter? :rolleyes:

... or "Foster" Street for that matter? :rolleyes:

Yes! There was something bothering me about that but I couldn't put my finger on it :p. There is another silly typo (two in fact) in the one testimonial they have on the home page. An extravagantly mustachioed gentleman reckons they serve "the best mexican food inn Galway" :)

Did anyone ever hear of the East Village area in Galway before?!

Yes, the label has been used by a number of hospitality businesses in the area when promoting events.

Garveys even have it on their windows:

20190211_175916.jpg

Photo from http://www.galway.staff-wanted.net/2019/02/housekeeper-accommodation-assistant-cleaner-garveys-feb-2019.html

Never heard "East Village" used before but we can thank the marketing team behind the "Latin Quarter" for this kind of thing. It seems to work well when done properly though. Businesses work together to improve the area and we all (hopefully) benefit. The areas covered by the Latin Quarter and West End are all nicer now than they were when it was just a collection of streets and businesses.

Have the new restaurants on Middle Street been mentioned? There's a sandwich bar and restaurant where Vina Mara used to be and Umbrella Tapas opposite Charlie Burns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

xckjoo wrote: »
    Have the new restaurants on Middle Street been mentioned? There's a sandwich bar and restaurant where Vina Mara used to be and Umbrella Tapas opposite Charlie Burns.

Is Umbrella Tapas gone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement