Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing INFO thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Arabica @ Joyce's in Knocknacarra closed. Sign on window - " shop is closed, many thanks to all our customers " hasn't been open for a few days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

westgolf wrote: »
    Arabica @ Joyce's in Knocknacarra closed. Sign on window - " shop is closed, many thanks to all our customers " hasn't been open for a few days now.

Yes, meant to post about this last week. Asked business next door and they said it would be taken over by another coffee shop soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Yes, meant to post about this last week. Asked business next door and they said it would be taken over by another coffee shop soon.

Better not be Costabucks

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

With Joyce's now having seats behind the till and the pizza stand doing decent coffee it's going to be hard for any coffee shop to make good money in that unit. Arabica had started to become a glorified customer toilet for Joyce's at times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

D Trent wrote: »
    Better not be Costabucks

Mr. Waffle is who I heard.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Bredabe wrote: »
    Mr. Waffle is who I heard.

Maybe another Ground & Co? Same crowd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

xckjoo wrote: »
    Maybe another Ground & Co? Same crowd

I heard it was a sex shop, be handy for anyone on the way out to sliverstrand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

this is a news thread not a rumour mill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Mary's Fish in galway shopping center is now open. - not sure when exactly but FYI in case anyone looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

westgolf wrote: »

They should check there's no one still in there waiting for a coffee.

• Advertisement

The demolition of the Westwood Hotel to be replaced by student accommodation has been approved by ABP

https://galwaybayfm.ie/approval-for-student-accommodation-on-site-of-westwood-hotel-in-city/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

The demolition of the Westwood Hotel to be replaced by student accommodation has been approved by ABP

https://galwaybayfm.ie/approval-for-student-accommodation-on-site-of-westwood-hotel-in-city/

Pity . Westwood is ( was ) a great spot for locals, functions , workers nearby and the college itself etc . No bar/restaurant /social spot left on that side of town at all now, Newcastle/Rahoon/Dangan/Bushypark . must be a big opportunity there. Kelehans anyone?

Some amount of student blocks permitted/upcoming in City 400+ in NUIG opened+ this 394+ NUIG new plans for a further 450+ shortly +Gerry Barrett Docks 350=1600 spots in next two years , Must be a good business! Pile 'em high sell 'em higher?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Which shopping centre is the new fishmonger in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

pjohnson wrote: »
    GSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

pjohnson wrote: »

Galway Shopping Centre (ie Tesco), where the "The Fisherman" used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

youngrun wrote: »

Pity . Westwood is ( was ) a great spot for locals, functions , workers nearby and the college itself etc . No bar/restaurant /social spot left on that side of town at all now, Newcastle/Rahoon/Dangan/Bushypark . must be a big opportunity there. Kelehans anyone?

Some amount of student blocks permitted/upcoming in City  400 in NUIG opened this 394 NUIG new plans for a further 450 shortly Gerry Barrett Docks 350=1600 spots in next two years , Must be a good business! Pile 'em high sell 'em higher?!
    The Clybaun is not that far away, as it Tom Sheridans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Is that a joke ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Glenlo Abbey is closer!

So's Hanley Oaks and the Westside Tavern .... no idea if either is still open thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Glenlo Abbey is closer!

So's Hanley Oaks and the Westside Tavern .... no idea if either is still open thought.

Both closed for some time now.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

They are both very far away. Locals will need to use the 404 Bus and just go to town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No theyre not.
    youngrun wrote: »
    Pity. Westwood is (was) a great spot for locals, functions, workers nearby and the college itself etc. No bar/restaurant /social spot left on that side of town at all now, Newcastle/Rahoon/Dangan/Bushypark. must be a big opportunity there. Kelehans anyone?

Some amount of student blocks permitted/upcoming in City 400 + in NUIG opened + this 394 + NUIG new plans for a further 450 + shortly + Gerry Barrett Docks 350=1600 spots in next two years, Must be a good business! Pile 'em high sell 'em higher?!
    Pity but college didnt really use the place that much. Big opportunity maybe but who and where do you go.
    Great to see so many student blocks proposed. Badly needed with the struggles over the past few years. Its obviously very good business.

Olga's alternations in Lower Abbeygate St is closing - last day Wed 26 Sept.

Little Lane Coffee has opened in Upper Abbeygate St, between Lighthouse Cafe and Anifora (also new formerly ... Tosnu?)

Casa Crafts = a new hippy clothing shop, where Million Dollar Secrets hairdresser used to be.

A new phone-fix shop in Upper Abbeygate St, too. Mr-Fix? We-Fix? Something like that.

The Oven Door in Middle St appears to be gone. They closed over race week as usual, and then signs appeared saying "sorry, closed until further notice, no deliveries please". Now the signs are gone, and it looks like the interior is cleared out.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Olga's alternations in Lower Abbeygate St is closing - last day Wed 26 Sept.

Little Lane Coffee has opened in Upper Abbeygate St, between Lighthouse Cafe and Anifora (also new formerly ... Tosnu?)

Casa Crafts = a new hippy clothing shop, where Million Dollar Secrets hairdresser used to be.

A new phone-fix shop in Upper Abbeygate St, too. Mr-Fix? We-Fix? Something like that.

The Oven Door in Middle St appears to be gone. They closed over race week as usual, and then signs appeared saying "sorry, closed until further notice, no deliveries please". Now the signs are gone, and it looks like the interior is cleared out.

Phone shop is We-fix I think.

Olga's is a funny one. Not too long ago she was advertising that she was open for business " despite recent rumors "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

I could be wrong but I think I remember that the owners were both involved in a road accident and that they ran the business themselves hence the sudden closure.....

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

A golf shop has gone into the old Nigels cycles unit on Tuam road.

I could be wrong but I think I remember that the owners were both involved in a road accident and that they ran the business themselves hence the sudden closure.....

:(

That's such a shame. Lovely people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Yes that is correct
    Really bad news . Have gone there for years and the nicest people you could meet
    Hopefully they recover and manage ok in future

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sad to hear about The Oven Door, it was a bit of a Galway Institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

ongarboy wrote: »

Great to see a bit of competition for the horrendously overpriced EZ Living.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement