Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing INFO thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Looks like this is the last week for the Westwood Hotel. They don't seem to be taking any bookings after this weekend. While student accommodation is needed Galway could really have done without losing the hotel rooms that were available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

topcat77 wrote: »
    A golf shop has gone into the old Nigels cycles unit on Tuam road.

American golf.

I’ll stick with Declan in Golfstyle myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Looks like this is the last week for the Westwood Hotel. They don't seem to be taking any bookings after this weekend. While student accommodation is needed Galway could really have done without losing the hotel rooms that were available there.
    Plenty of B&Bs and AirBnBs around to take the custom as the market shifts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Pity that company did not buy the derelict Corrib Great Southern beside GMIT instead of the Westwood.

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    American golf.

I’ll stick with Declan in Golfstyle myself.

If Golfstyle had a website, I'd be more inclined to visit them for some purchases. Alas, I'll probably start shopping in American Golf more now, as I can check what they have on sale on their website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pity that company did not buy the derelict Corrib Great Southern beside GMIT instead of the Westwood.

It's a pity that the derelict Corrib Great Southern isn't next to NUIG or even on the same side of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

It's a pity that the derelict Corrib Great Southern isn't next to NUIG or even on the same side of the river.

GMIT students need accommodation, too.
    We are talking about a developer who builds student accommodation for profit. As long as there are students to rent the accommodation, I don't think they care where their tenants study.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

GMIT students need accommodation, too.
    We are talking about a developer who builds student accommodation for profit. As long as there are students to rent the accommodation, I don't think they care where their tenants study.

There is still a massive demand for student accommodation. Edward Square tenants are being evicted so that students can move instead at almost 3 times the rental price. (http://www.zigguratstudents.com/galway/edward-square-apartments) I heard last week that GMIT had erected a marquee as so many students were sleeping in cars (hearsay I know).

Student Accommodation is needed, no matter the location. GMIT students are in Newcastle and NUIG are in Renmore as it is the only places they can get. The higher the capacity at both sides of the river, the easier it will be for students to get accommodation on their 'own' side of the river. Hopefully the supply can increase and try normalize the accommodation prices for students. I have seen some new landlords advertising a room for €400 - €500 a month but you are not allowed to have the room at weekends :rolleyes: how is a student supposed to afford that if they cannot work at weekends.

Sorry for the accommodation rant, but I do have a link to new student accommodation, which is a new business opening I guess! :o

Never cease to surprise. You can be so one dimensional at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic folks - opening/closing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Last checkout 30th, closing Fri 29th to the public

Major pity in my view, very sparse social amenities on the NW side of city now

youngrun wrote: »
    Last checkout 30th, closing Fri 29th to the public

Major pity in my view, very sparse social amenities on the NW side of city now

Agree, not just NW side. Poor planning at the heart of it really.

Demolition work set to begin on Westwood Hotel
    https://connachttribune.ie/demolition-work-set-to-begin-on-westwood-hotel/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So Pulse accessories in the Corrib shopping centre (Debnhams / Roches Stores) has a closing down sale, has been for a few months actually, and yet has a sign on the window they're looking for staff. Hmmmm

flazio wrote: »
    So Pulse accessories in the Corrib shopping centre (Debnhams / Roches Stores) has a closing down sale, has been for a few months actually, and yet has a sign on the window they're looking for staff. Hmmmm

Think they've been "closing down" for about 2-3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

flazio wrote: »

They have closed down I think all of their other stores over the last 12 months, this appears to be the last one standing. They can't hold onto staff because there is no security in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

I have *heard* that EZ Living bought the empty factory building opposite the airport and will be opening something there in coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I have *heard* that EZ Living bought the empty factory building opposite the airport and will be opening something there in coming months

I have also heard this. And the fact that there have been several EZ trucks coming and going, and parked there over the past few weeks has validated it somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

westgolf wrote: »
    Arabica @ Joyce's in Knocknacarra closed. Sign on window - " shop is closed, many thanks to all our customers " hasn't been open for a few days now.

Passed by there yesterday and workmen were fitting it out. They said it would become another Ground & Co

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Passed by there yesterday and workmen were fitting it out. They said it would become another Ground & Co

Yup. It's on their Facebook page now so no longer rumor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

aw wrote: »
    I have also heard this. And the fact that there have been several EZ trucks coming and going, and parked there over the past few weeks has validated it somewhat.

They have a storage warehouse leased on the tuam road. Might be getting out of it as it was only available on a short term lease as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

What's the story with Boots, Shop Street?

Sign on the door -

"Due to unforeseen circumstances closed until further notice"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

?Cee?view wrote: »

Sign on the door -

Strange one. How about Headford road?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

Sign on the door -

There was a fire engine outside it about 11.30 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sign on the door -

Sign gone by 8:30pm, but there were signs of worker inside doing stock etc. Lights usually more off by that time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I think that site woud be a very good place to put a coach stop/the bus stop on that junction.
    The bus stop at GMIT is way too small for the custom that uses it. Especially since it services most of the Intercity buses heading out on the Dublin and Oranmore roads.
    Pavement is way too narrow and is often filled with passengers with luggage.

Would think most towns would stick up a terminus somewhere around there to handle the traffic that has wound up adapting what is just a normal stop on a junction that doesn't have lights.
    Would have though things like that might be taken in to consideration when they were building the new garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭charleville

There’s a new doors and flooring showroom opening in the liosban industrial estate... the Door centre it’s going to be called, there was works going on all week there.
    Badly needed I think since the door depot closed a few months back

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Motorpark changing hands to become part of Sheils of Ennis group. Lyons of Limerick coming to town with the Jaguar and Land Rover brand, no definite location mentioned yet for this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

New bike shop in Liosban beside the Eastern European supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭charleville

westgolf wrote: »
    Motorpark changing hands to become part of Sheils of Ennis group. Lyons of Limerick coming to town with the Jaguar and Land Rover brand, no definite location mentioned yet for this one though.

Bradley’s Land Rover was sold to Renault after the owner died, so there was an opening there for a new agent.. I didn’t know they were coming in though, they’ll do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

New bike shop in Liosban beside the Eastern European supermarket.
    Name, where exactly in Liosbán?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement