Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing INFO thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

zell12 wrote: »
    Name, where exactly in Liosbán?

Pelo, and it’s in Centrepoint in Liosbán Est. It’s the good folk who also own Velocity bike shop in Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭charleville

ratracer wrote: »
    Pelo, and it’s in Centrepoint in Liosbán Est. It’s the good folk who also own Velocity bike shop in Oranmore.

Jeez.. there’s a lot of new places opening in Liosban recently it’s becoming more popular there it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

Olga’s alterations on Abbeygate street has closed. No notice in the window, anyone know where she’s gone? She was really good and very reasonable. Or does anyone know a good alternative in town that won’t fleece me for taking up a pair of trousers/jeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Olga’s alterations on Abbeygate street has closed. No notice in the window, anyone know where she’s gone? She was really good and very reasonable. Or does anyone know a good alternative in town that won’t fleece me for taking up a pair of trousers/jeans?
    Closed a while back, notice was on door and posted here too. There's a good alterations place next to Tesco homewares shop in GSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is the Galway Indo maybe a comeback? This "Galway Today" twitter account looks similar to the old GI one, no? https://twitter.com/galway_today It's been a while since I've looked at the GI though (understandably) and I wasn't a follower, so I could be completely mistaken...

Edit: Yep, 'tis - there's a link to a competition which goes to a defunct GI facebook page. Interesting...

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    Is the Galway Indo maybe a comeback? This "Galway Today" twitter account looks similar to the old GI one, no? https://twitter.com/galway_today It's been a while since I've looked at the GI though (understandably) and I wasn't a follower, so I could be completely mistaken...

Edit: Yep, 'tis - there's a link to a competition which goes to a defunct GI facebook page. Interesting...

It doesn't seem to have had any activity since the independent shut down last September.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It doesn't seem to have had any activity since the independent shut down last September.
    Aye, I noticed that, but I was wondering if there was some reason for the name change and whether anyone had any further info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Anyone know why she closed?

Always looked busy in there to me.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Does anyone know if 'The Barber's Chair' on Dominic st, is still in business?
    Ive sent a lot to it and they always tell me it was closed when they got there.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Anyone know why she closed?

Always looked busy in there to me.

TbL

No. She had a sign up on the very last days saying "going out of business" so I suspect she hasn't just moved somewhere else.

For a while on Sunday this sign was on the outside of the door - it was removed by the night time, don't know if it was by the landlord, a yob or a competitor. Anyways, if you're from the area than Victoria in Craughwell is an option.

(Main Street, Craughwell oppposite the church. 085 821 8442. fb.me/victoraalterations )

464906.PNG

I haven't used them yet, but next time I was something altered I'm going to try the lad who tool over the tailoring business over the former Vina Mara next to the Augustinian church, looks like he has a women's alterations service working with him now:
    464907.PNG

• Advertisement

Bredabe wrote: »
    Does anyone know if 'The Barber's Chair' on Dominic st, is still in business?
    Ive sent a lot to it and they always tell me it was closed when they got there.

I walked past this morning and he was open and cutting hair.

But I think he does have interesting opening hours - a little more relaxed / varied than many shops.

On a related note, there's a new barber-shop called Sebastian in the former City Taxis premises in Eyre Street.

And Hansome Burger have "coming soon" signs in the window of the former Creole restaurant in Dominic St.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

But I think he does have interesting opening hours - a little more relaxed / varied than many shops.

I think that lad just opens whenever he feels like it. It's great that there's still places like that in existence :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

xckjoo wrote: »

I think that lad just opens whenever he feels like it. It's great that there's still places like that in existence :pac:
    How is that great for customers if they never know if he's going to be open or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

ongarboy wrote: »
    xckjoo wrote: »

How is that great for customers if they never know if he's going to be open or not?
    He's been there long enough so it works for him, doubt he cares to be honest. His regulars obviously know when to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

He's been there long enough so it works for him, doubt he cares to be honest. His regulars obviously know when to go.
    He definitely does not care

Gatsby Menswear in Woodquay have big Closing Down sale signs in the window. The shop wasn't open when I walked past about 11am this morning, so it may be gone already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

He definitely does not care

Can second that, I know some who was sitting waiting for roughly 10/15 mins. When it was his turn the owner decided it was lunch time and told them to come back after an hour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Massimos to close temporarily from tomorrow (all day & night) until 6pm Thurs for renovations.

https://www.facebook.com/244373110075/posts/10161052595900076/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Gourmet Food Parlour in Salthill, open when I passed 90 mins ago.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Bredabe wrote: »
    Gourmet Food Parlour in Salthill, open when I passed 90 mins ago.

I've never been clear whether its a restaurant or a shop, or both. Anyone been in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

McDonalds Westside closed with diggers on-site whatever is going on there.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The closed record shop in the Eyre Square centre is being fitted out and the sign on the window says 2 wild geese.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's being renovated and upgraded.

Separately, there is a cafe going to the east of it where the walkway currently is:
    a single storey, free standing café

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The closed record shop in the Eyre Square centre is being fitted out and the sign on the window says 2 wild geese.

And "2 wild geese" is ???

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I've never been clear whether its a restaurant or a shop, or both. Anyone been in?

I haven't been inside, but I passed by and it looks like an all-day restaurant. The menu outside lists breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

pjohnson wrote: »
    And "2 wild geese" is ???

I can't remember the exact wording under the sign. But it was something like. Art.design.crafts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

dilallio wrote: »
    Massimos to close temporarily from tomorrow (all day & night) until 6pm Thurs for renovations.

https://www.facebook.com/244373110075/posts/10161052595900076/

Is Massimos owned by an Italian family. Always wondered about the name

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

I can't remember the exact wording under the sign. But it was something like. Art.design.crafts

Pop up shop for the Christmas season offering the artistic community a space to exhibit and try and sell their wares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The ones in Dublin are all sit down restaurants (great for brunches at weekend) but also do food to take out. I'm sure the Galway operation would be similar.

This will give you an idea of what's on offer.
    https://www.gourmetfoodparlour.com/restaurants/salthill-galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The've had signs up for the past few weeks, closing for a few weeks for renovations. Reopening Devember 11 maybe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement