Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do-landscape or DIY??

Options
  • 11-06-2018 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hello,
    Several trees removed at back of garden and stumps ground out. What to do next? Any advice appreciated. Have my own ideas about cleaning it up. I would like a lovely lawn.

16kynf6.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Access?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do you have children, or dogs? You can have either of those and grass, or a lovely lawn. The loveliness of your lawn depends on the amount of work you are prepared to put into it, and continue putting in to it. For something immaculate you are going to need more help than a casual question on here. Read everything you can about lawns and lawn care, become a bit obsessive about it.

In the meantime, yes, take out the stumps and the major roots. Get the whole thing dug or rotavated. Decide where any paths or flower beds are going to be; do you want a patio, shed, anything of that sort, plan it first. Put in any paths or structures, flower bed edgings. Improve the soil - again read up about this. You could just import some top soil but its easy to import problems. Do up to this stage whether you are going for 'grass' or 'lawn'. After that its down to preparation, seed type, care.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Karlrove

Lumen wrote: »
    Access?

Side entrance 1m wide

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

OK, well I'm sure you want to get going, but lawn is the fastest thing to grow and the easiest to wreck with heavy machinery*, so if you're planning other landscaping works (boundary walls, patio), get those done first or in the same job.

Personally, I'd get a landscaper in. Preparing a seed bed takes ages to do properly by hand and really benefits from proper machinery. You might want to get some drainage out in at the same time if you've problems in that area (not now, think back a couple of months to when we had the heavy rain).

( * In theory you'd only get contractors in when the ground is nicely firm and dry, but sod's law is that the week they turn up will see heavy rain and your site will get wrecked )

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Karlrove

could anyone recommend a gardner who could do this job? PM me if you can. Many thanks,

K

• Advertisement
Advertisement