Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle

Options
  • 11-06-2018 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Heading to Dingle for a week in July with the family. I have been to Killarney many times but never stayed in Dingle.

Any recommendations for the peninsula.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

bullvine wrote: »
    Hey,

Heading to Dingle for a week in July with the family. I have been to Killarney many times but never stayed in Dingle.

Thanks,
    Slea head. Get a boat out to the blaskets.
    Head over the Conor pass, glenteenassig lake, maharees, mt Brandon. Inch beach.
    Geraldine Tralee museum.- great for the kids.aquadome.
    Some of the locals could be able to add to it...I'm a Dub:D

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

If you are on the Conor Pass stop and Pedlar's Lake and walk up to it.
    Seasports in Maharees.
    Wetlands visitor centre in Tralee.
    Blennerville windmill.
    Aquarium in Dingle.
    Fungie of course.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Hey,

Thanks,

Plenty to do and see. Dingle itself has the usual touristy things. Definitely try to get out to see Fungi the Dolphin! The Slea Head drive is amazing, as is the Conor pass drive.

Head to the beaches too, plenty to choose from!

Tralee has a lot of shopping and plenty of things for the kids to do; Aqua Dome, Tralee Wetlands (opposite the Aqua Dome), The Museum, cinema, Playdium indoor play area. You might find it had to pack it all into the week, but you won't be bored! Have a great time :)

You could visit kilgarvan and have tea with the Healy Rae's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Absolutely do Slea head.
    Although, I feel that while you have to do it, everybody misses out on going over the pass from Páidí Ó Shé's to Dunquinn. On the right day its just knockout views either direction.

Attend to a pint in Currans, Foxy Johns and or (a small one in) Dick Macs.

Ventry beach.
    Wine Strand.
    The Blasket Islands interpretive centre is a decent visit.... Coomenole beach is worth a look.

The aquarium is small but a good visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

To add to the above - Inch beach, Annascaul Lake, Minard beach and castle - all to the east of Dingle - Kilmalkedar, Gallarus oratory, Brandon Creek (locals call it Cuas), Riasc to the west.
    Esk tower is across the harbour from the town and is a good climb with fantastic views - don't bother is it's misty or wet.
    Over the Conor Pass some of the quieter gems are Cloghane, Brandon and Fermoyle. No through traffic, no buses etc. Just turn left at the bottom of the Conor Pass.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

For me the standout thing to do is take a trip to Great Blasket. If your kids are of an appropriate age and ye're into camping, there's no beating spending the night there (weather permitting of course).

If you're an energetic family, the climb up Brandon via the Pilgrim's Route is well worth doing - it's not difficult at all (but obviously take the usual precautions of wearing and carrying appropriate gear etc).

Apart from the drives/cycles previously mentioned, the road from Camp to Inch (in this direction) via Caherconree offers breathtaking views - but isn't the best for nervous drivers/cyclists!

+1 on Lough Annascaul and nearby is the graveyard where Tom Crean is interred - well worth a brief stop-off.

You'll be blessed with beaches anyway - Inch (my favourite), Magharees, Wine Strand, Ventry, Minard, Derrymore, Fermoyle...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Wow!

Thanks so much. We are pretty energetic, so i had thought of Brandon indeed.

Some great options to keep us busy for the week.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I live out here and much prefer Más an Tiompáin to Brandon. The Brandon hike is actually kind of dull - station to station with a bit of vertical at the end, but usually fogged in at the top and not a great view. Más an Tiompáin has excellent views on the way up and isn't nearly as touristy. They're not far from each other. https://mountainviews.ie/summit/66/?PHPSESSID=us7n7ka2smbd3ch9fbe009eqq6

Visit Gallarus Oratory for a history fix. There's a small museum in Ballyferriter as well.
    There are also really nice beaches like Clogher beach and Coumenoole. Clogher is small but gorgeous.

Driving Slea head on the weekend can be tedious due to the tour busses.

Great burgers at Danno's on the waterfront, excellent coffee at the Bean, good breakfasts at Deirdre's and the Tree House on Orchard lane.
    Foxy John's or Dick Mack's for a pint at the well known watering holes. There's a microbrewery in An Riasc called Tigh Bhric that has a Trad on Friday nights and brew their own award-winning beers, too. About a 20 minute drive from town. Also, Tigh TP in Ballydavid has a view of Smerwick harbor, you can sit out and enjoy the sun, usually some fairly good craic inside and excellent food as well. Also a short drive from town, maybe 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Igotadose wrote: »
    I live out here and much prefer Más an Tiompáin to Brandon. The Brandon hike is actually kind of dull - station to station with a bit of vertical at the end, but usually fogged in at the top and not a great view. Más an Tiompáin has excellent views on the way up and isn't nearly as touristy. They're not far from each other. https://mountainviews.ie/summit/66/?PHPSESSID=us7n7ka2smbd3ch9fbe009eqq6

Visit Gallarus Oratory for a history fix. There's a small museum in Ballyferriter as well.
    There are also really nice beaches like Clogher beach and Coumenoole. Clogher is small but gorgeous.

Driving Slea head on the weekend can be tedious due to the tour busses.

Great burgers at Danno's on the waterfront, excellent coffee at the Bean, good breakfasts at Deirdre's and the Tree House on Orchard lane.
    Foxy John's or Dick Mack's for a pint at the well known watering holes. There's a microbrewery in An Riasc called Tigh Bhric that has a Trad on Friday nights and brew their own award-winning beers, too. About a 20 minute drive from town. Also, Tigh TP in Ballydavid has a view of Smerwick harbor, you can sit out and enjoy the sun, usually some fairly good craic inside and excellent food as well. Also a short drive from town, maybe 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

That's deadly, I will take your advice on Más an Tiompáin. We are going from Sunday till Sunday.

Thanks

• Advertisement

That's deadly, I will take your advice on Más an Tiompáin. We are going from Sunday till Sunday.

Thanks

Do keep an eye on the weather though. I wouldn't pass over the opportunity, if it presented itself, of being on the summit of Brandon in perfect visibility!

To maximise breathtaking views, you could even come down by Más an Tiompáin (although this would require a car-split or other arrangement at the bottom).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Stay away from Dingle for eating out or drinking. You will be fleeced better value in Pubs/restaurants in Bally Ferriter and some of the other villages outside the town.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Stay away from Dingle for eating out or drinking. You will be fleeced better value in Pubs/restaurants in Bally Ferriter and some of the other villages outside the town.

There's the chipper on the coast road with the seating in the back. Always found it good when in Dingle.

There's the chipper on the coast road with the seating in the back. Always found it good when in Dingle.

If you meant the Skipper restaurant, they've moved to the Dingle Peninsula Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Igotadose wrote: »
    If you meant the Skipper restaurant, they've moved to the Dingle Peninsula Hotel

I'd say it's Harringtons that's been mentioned.

That's in town (at least, there's one in town.) Personally not a big chip eater, if I want chips I have them at Tigh TP in Baile na nGall (Ballydavid).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,732 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If your looking for a place for a quality restraint food head to Chart house,
    We went for my brother in law's 30th and it was beauty ,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There’s an outdoor chipper & Pizza place in the yard of Dick Macs called Chewy & the Beast which is excellent.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I'd say it's Harringtons that's been mentioned.

It is. Couldn't remember the name.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    There’s an outdoor chipper & Pizza place in the yard of Dick Macs called Chewy & the Beast which is excellent.

Yep, I'd second that.

• Advertisement

AIB is going cashless in Dingle. There's to be a protest in Killorglin about it. I have to wonder, when the tourists disembark in front of Benners and the BoI ATM is empty, will they spend as much in town? I doubt it. This cashless stuff is for the birds.

Big growth in apartments being discussed in Dingle:

160 Units for 553 people. Seems like this would really crowd things in town. Not sure there's such a crying need for apartments and I'd be worried its just more AirBnB

GoFundMe for Eibhlín Ní Bheaglaoich, who lost her home in a fire last month.

Cillian Murphy interviewed in Dingle on the US CBS TV magazine 60 minutes. Ventry beach, John Benny's pub, locals like Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh and Gerry O'Beirne. I'm sure Dingle Tourism is very happy about this.

Advertisement