Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placenta encapsulation

Options
  • 11-06-2018 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Hi mods, not sure if this is right place or not- it was either here or pregnancy but I guessed perhaps here seeing as it is something that happens post birth.

I'm looking in placenta encapsulation at moment but would like to hear experiences & opinions if any, bad and good! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hey there. Check out delayed cord clamping, this is where you ask the midwives to leave the cord a few minutes after the birth before clamping... unless the baby needs to be recussitated , to let the iron/blood finish flowing into the baby from the placenta . It is standard practice in some hospitals in Ireland, but not all. That is a good use for the placenta.

Now, on the encapsulation thing... I looked it up a few years ago. There are two claims I think. One is that there are hormones in the placenta that the mother benefits from. This is probably bogus. Isn’t much in a placenta to begin with, and they break down under heat.. so the cooking it gets for encapsulation would probably destroy the bit that might be there. Breastfeeding does that hormone release better.

Other claim is that other animals eat placentas, so why don’t we? Other animals do all sorts of things that are not a good idea for humans. But cooking , drying, powdering and putting that powder in a jelly capsule is not something they do in the first place either.

There is a theory that the placenta may be a barrier for the baby, absorbing items in the mother’s blood before they reach the baby. Pollutants etc. May not be good idea to eat that, if it functions in any way as a toxic waste sponge.

And then, the encapsulation itself...well, it is not regulated. People do it in their kitchen sinks. Risk of contamination.

It wouldn’t be for me. Not much benefit. Small risk of harm. Better alternatives available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Delayed cord clamping is significantly beneficial. One quarter of the baby’s blood can be in the placenta. It is better not to remove up to a quarter of a baby’s blood the moment they are born. It’s standard practice in Limerick. It definitely should be standard practice everywhere.

Placenta consumption/encapsulation is nonsense. The risk of pathogens is real and significant. There is no evidence of benefits. Breast milk banks (for preemies) cannot accept donations from you if you practice it because the risk of infection is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Total waste of time and money. You'd be as well off treating yourself to something nice after the baby comes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Delayed clamping is standard in the Rotunda now too, I believe.Assuming your baby doesn't need help straight after birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is no proven benefit to placenta encapsulation. The theory behind it is fad science, and especially since the placenta is cooked and dried any benefit felt is most likely a placebo effect. Cooking will destroy any hormones - though not any toxins.

Don't waste your time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

pwurple wrote: »
    Other claim is that other animals eat placentas, so why don’t we? Other animals do all sorts of things that are not a good idea for humans. But cooking , drying, powdering and putting that powder in a jelly capsule is not something they do in the first place either.

Animals do it as having a placenta lying around is a big advertisement to predators that there are tasty baby animals nearby ready for eating. Unless you're worried about a wolf attack, there's probably no need for it. It's a fad.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Thank you all for very informative posts! It helped convince me that I wouldn't be missing out if I don't go for it! So I decided I'd leave it and lazygal gave me a good idea- use the money to treat myself to something nice instead! ;)

Advertisement