Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a second hand bike. How do I make sure its not stolen

Options
  • 11-06-2018 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

I was looking at a bike on done deal that I like and I want to ensure its not stolen. Bar asking for a receipt, which they may or may not have, any ideas how I can check if its stolen or not?

Bikeregister allows you to register a bike and report it stolen but doesn't allow you to search serial numbers to see if its been reported stolen.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Can't think of any way, but there could be, bit of a chance really

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1. Ask a few basic questions about groupset/gear ratios etc. Dodgy sellers are usually unable to answer these questions.

2. Buy the bike at the seller's house - not in a neutral venue.

3. Ask the seller for a pic of him/her with the bike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If its a well spec'ed bike going cheap think about why it is so cheap (could be other reasons not just stolen).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Agree with the suggestion above to ask a few details about the bike - while a few people buy on bike-to-work without knowing what they are looking for and end up never using a bike, I think the chances of someone having a 1500-2000 euro bike and not knowing about groupset, gear ratios, wheels etc. is very low. Usually you can tell this from an ad - no drive side photo, will say "Shimano gears" or "18-speed" and "very light" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I'll ask a few questions alright. its a bike in the 700-800 price range and is being offered for 380. Looks to have a few accessories on it. I reckon its a bike to work scheme thats not being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The whole neutral venue thing - advice to sellers is normally do, at least the initial viewing, at a neutral location.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Have a look at their previous ads. Amazing how many people on Donedeal and Adverts buy bikes that they immediately want to sell after less than 100k. My bike was stolen recently and I could have quickly replaced it with a cheap one from one of these sources but it makes me sick to think I might be paying one of the criminals that nicked mine. Steer clear of them.

lissard wrote: »
    Have a look at their previous ads. Amazing how many people on Donedeal and Adverts buy bikes that they immediately want to sell after less than 100k. My bike was stolen recently and I could have quickly replaced it with a cheap one from one of these sources but it makes me sick to think I might be paying one of the criminals that nicked mine. Steer clear of them.

Thats what I'm trying to avoid. I don't seem to be able to check their previous ads on done deal though.

crazyderk wrote: »
    ..... Looks to have a few accessories on it. I reckon its a bike to work scheme thats not being used.
    If it's being sold with accessories, then that's usually a positive sign. A bike stolen when locked up is unlikely to have accessories attached. No harm in asking the seller about it all the same - i.e. why selling it, was it bike to work etc. A genuine seller will have no problem with you asking a few questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The whole neutral venue thing - advice to sellers is normally do, at least the initial viewing, at a neutral location.

I never bring people to my house when selling, the only exceptions to this are when I sold bits to regulars from here. But donedeal or adverts loons? Not a chance they are coming to my house.
    I sold a bike recently enough, I gave a printed and signed receipt and also sent a soft copy from my email (firstnamelastname@). This is the minimum i would expect from a seller

• Advertisement

I met the guy. As I thought its a bike to work scheme that he doesn't want anymore. I was happy with the reason why. overall, seems genuine. I met him at his work so its a neutral location plus I arrived early and he was cleaning it. Overall I was happy and made a bid and I'm picking it up later. Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

crazyderk wrote: »
    I'll ask a few questions alright. its a bike in the 700-800 price range and is being offered for 380. Looks to have a few accessories on it. I reckon its a bike to work scheme thats not being used.

50% off retail is about par for a secondhand bike - definitely not suspiciously cheap.

colm18 wrote: »
    50% off retail is about par for a secondhand bike - definitely not suspiciously cheap.
    Used prices have come down since the BTW scheme was introduced - presumably as the previous owners would have got their bikes it for a lot less than the retail price anyway when you factor in the rebate.

Advertisement