Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you just delete Data back up from Icloud?

Options
  • 11-06-2018 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Hi

Ok GF got an IPhone 6 plus after previously holding a 4 and a five but her ICloud storage is full. So she downloaded Google drive and Photos so that Photos can be backed up to there. However what she wants to do is delete the old backups from ICloud so that it creates space. However she still wants to keep any old photos that have been backed up. Is there a way of just deleting the data back up to the cloud and keep the photos. I’m not an Apple person so Google just saying how to delete but this seems to delete everything.

If you can only just delete everything and not just data then we can root the 4 and five out and transfer these to the PC and store these elsewhere. Take it you don’t need I tunes to back up you can drag and drop?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Depends whether iCloud Photo Library is enabled and if all the photos she wants have been successfully synced to it. If so, then they are stored in iCloud separately to the backup, so deleting the backup won't affect them as long as iCloud Photo Library is on and all the photos in it are left alone. But if iCloud Photo Library is not enabled or wasn't at the time the device with the wanted photos was last backed up, then the photos are stored in the backup file and can't be accessed without a restore, in which case deleting the backup will delete the photos as well.

Are you saying she didn't restore from a backup to the new phone and the photos she wants are only in the backup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Depends whether iCloud Photo Library is enabled and if all the photos she wants have been successfully synced to it. If so, then they are stored in iCloud separately to the backup, so deleting the backup won't affect them as long as iCloud Photo Library is on and all the photos in it are left alone. But if iCloud Photo Library is not enabled or wasn't at the time the device with the wanted photos was last backed up, then the photos are stored in the backup file and can't be accessed without a restore, in which case deleting the backup will delete the photos as well.

Are you saying she didn't restore from a backup to the new phone and the photos she wants are only in the backup?

Thanks

Yeah her icloud is full so cant back up existing phone. So she has photos on old phones which she wants to trf to the new phone and some maybe on icloud. She just wants to check if they are stored so to clear up space she can choose what to delete to try to free up space. If she does have all of them on here 4 and 5 then I can see if I can drag and drop them onto Laptop and she can store them there or put them on usb whatever. I'm on Android so I have done this before but never with an apple. I can see if it works later without the option of downloading itunes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

photos backed upto icloud are treated separately.
    To confirm she should see the old photos in her photo albums. If not turn on icloud library and she should see them if they were originally stored there.
    Under settings/account/icloud/manage storage/Backups you'll see a list of devices.
    Simply delete the devices you don't one.

If manually backed up via itunes and photos etc are still on the phone- easiest option is to turn back on the devices, turn on icloud backup for photos after deleting devices in icloud and wait for them to fully upload.

However 5gb of free icloud storage doesn't last squat.
    Better off to pay the €12 a year for the 50gb option or I pay €36 a year for the 200GB which I share with the missus and the mother.

Advertisement