Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Holiday Visa Help

Options
  • 11-06-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

Myself and my partner have been planning a 4 to 5 month trip to South East Asia for a few months now. We'd intended on going straight from Asia, to Australia on the 1yr Working Holiday Visa, though now we're thinking it might make more sense to do Australia first.

What I'm wondering is, would it be possible to do your year in Australia & do your 3 months of agricultural work, then leave for maybe 6 months, and then apply for your Second Year Working Holiday Visa and go back, or is there a time frame in which you can apply from completing your first year?

Any information is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

As far as I remember from my original working holiday 7.5 years ago, once you get your rural work done your 2nd year can be done at any time up to the day before your 31st birthday, even after you leave Australia on your WHV1.

I applied for mine while I was here and rolled straight into my 2nd WHV. The thing I am uncertain about is when you need to apply for your 2nd WHV.

If you apply while you are still on your 1st WHV I'm unsure if it rolls straight onto WHV2 if you are still in the country (imagine you got your flight dates wrong and overstayed by 1 day and activated WHV2 like that).

Or if you can apply anytime after you leave Australia up to your 31st birthday. I imagine this would be the case. I've looked for this info previously and its not immediately clear to find. The best way is to call/email immigration (border control) and ask. They can give you the definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi,

Myself and my partner have been planning a 4 to 5 month trip to South East Asia for a few months now. We'd intended on going straight from Asia, to Australia on the 1yr Working Holiday Visa, though now we're thinking it might make more sense to do Australia first.

What I'm wondering is, would it be possible to do your year in Australia & do your 3 months of agricultural work, then leave for maybe 6 months, and then apply for your Second Year Working Holiday Visa and go back, or is there a time frame in which you can apply from completing your first year?

Any information is appreciated!

There doesn't seem to be any reason why you can't postpone the application for the second year visa providing you still meet the age requirements and have done the 88 days regional work.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/417-

I think it would be a great idea to save some money working in Australia and spend it in Asia where it goes a lot further and if I had my chance again it's probably the way I would do it.

Advertisement