Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running route Lucan to Merrion Square

• 11-06-2018 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi. What would be the best running route from Lucan to Merrion square. The best route with least stopping for traffic disruption.

The following appear to be the options;

1. The canal - never did this. Is it a disaster for traffic stops closer to city? And is it safe early morning?
    2. Via M4 paths into Palmerstown - Chapelizod - then along the liffey or up past Heuston?
    3. Via strawberry beds road into Chapelizod and on via Islandbridge into City - This route has no footpaths so probably more dangerous with traffic.

Not sure if there is any other options or which is best of the lot really?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Tommy Max wrote: »
    Hi. What would be the best running route from Lucan to Merrion square. The best route with least stopping for traffic disruption.

1. The canal - never did this. Is it a disaster for traffic stops closer to city? And is it safe early morning?
    2. Via M4 paths into Palmerstown - Chapelizod - then along the liffey or up past Heuston?
    3. Via strawberry beds road into Chapelizod and on via Islandbridge into City - This route has no footpaths so probably more dangerous with traffic.

Thanks
    Definitely not the third one. I run the other two regularly enough. The canal is fine, as you can go under most bridges up to about Rathmines, so not much stopping. It's a move run, and I have done it very early, and never felt unsafe on it.

For the second one I come through the War Memorial Park and then out Parkgate St, and up the Luas line. I find that better than running up the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Thanks. Is the canal path route fairly easy to follow or have you to leave the path at any points?

Which is the better option in your opinion for a faster run where you don't want to be hanging around for traffic?

You reckon its better to head up the luas line towards the IFSC?

Thanks

Thanks. Is the canal path route fairly easy to follow or have you to leave the path at any points?

Which is the better option in your opinion for a faster run where you don't want to be hanging around for traffic?

You reckon its better to head up the luas line towards the IFSC?

Thanks

Once your on the canal you won't get lost!

If you are doing a speedy run they are much of a muchness, you'll get caught with lights a couple of times towards the end of both, sometimes for a couple of seconds, sometimes for a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Definitely not the third one. I run the other two regularly enough. The canal is fine, as you can go under most bridges up to about Rathmines, so not much stopping. It's a move run, and I have done it very early, and never felt unsafe on it.

For the second one I come through the War Memorial Park and then out Parkgate St, and up the Luas line. I find that better than running up the quays.

How do you get on to memorial park from chap?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

How do you get on to memorial park from chap?

up towards laurances raod there is a gate on the left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

When is this race on?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    When is this race on?

Weekday mornings from 7am. Medals and goodies bags provided at the end. No transfers allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

I jogged in this morning via N4, Chapelizod, islandbridge, then cross road beside heuston along luas track up onto Thomas street (I think ) then on to Christchurch, down dame street and Nassau street to Merrion square.

Route is perfectly fine until Heuston. Then there is a lot of lights rest of the way. Probably would not bother some people, but would drive me insane having to stop so much.

Is the route down the luas track towards IFSC and cross the liffey at custom house much better?

Any tips from the experienced jogging commuters much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Thanks

The Grand Canal from Adamstown on I assume? It is a tarmac path/cycle lane all the way to Inchecore area with one road crossing. From there on you have a bunch of road crossings but should not delay you much.

I cycle it sometimes around 6am and it is fine, the locals are all well in bed at that stage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Try the cycle/walk bridge over the M50 after liffey valley, into Palmerstown, follow this into Chapelizod, join Liffey just past the bridge in Chapizod and that takes to you islandbridge. Numerous options from there... Used to cycle that way for years.

• Advertisement

Just some more detail on the canal... the biggest selling point to me is the silence and lack of exhaust fumes. I always used the N4 previously and used it one day again last year... the constant drone of traffic dove me mad, having never noticed it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

mloc123 wrote: »
    Just some more detail on the canal... the biggest selling point to me is the silence and lack of exhaust fumes. I always used the N4 previously and used it one day again last year... the constant drone of traffic dove me mad, having never noticed it before.

So do you come off before Inichore and work your way towards lesson st?

So do you come off before Inichore and work your way towards lesson st?

I follow the canal all the way to baggot St. Usually I have to stop at 4 sets of lights, running you can avoid most of those as the path goes under some bridges and other lights I could jump if I wasn't trying to set a good example :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I cycle the canal from Clondalkin to Mount Street every week day & it's a great route. Would be even better if you are running it as you can go under some of the bridges. You do have to cross some roads but overall a great route. The odd rogue swan from time to time when they are nesting :rolleyes: but would highly recommend it as a route.

If you are following they Luas line, you get better luck at junctions as you have the Luas's (Luasi? Luasium? !!) passing along with you, so they get a bit of priority. I've often done that stretch with just two short stops, but as always with traffic lights that is just down to timing.

Advertisement