Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Fertility Clinic- Success Rates

Options
  • 11-06-2018 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

Does anyone know the best fertility clinic in Ireland - and when i say "best", i mean has the highest up to date success rates from the past number of years?

Planning on going for my first IUI, and maybe IVF if needs be.

I know some fertility clinics in Ireland are claiming to have the highest success rates , but when you look into this, some of them are basing their rates on outdated information, using statistics from a number of years back, and do not have up to date success rates available, which is totally unacceptable in my opinion.
    One clinic in particular was basing their success rates on the statistics from the period between 2012 - 2014 (only)!

IVF - IRELAND OR ABROAD (considering success rates / cost / hassle) 6 votes

Ireland
    0% 0 votes
    Abroad
    100% 6 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

They are private organisations, so they probably have no reason to publish their statistics other than as a marketing strategy. You might find it unacceptable but not sure what you can do about it really other than ask them for more up to date information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

They'll all "arrange" their figures to look the most attractive. I found one that published their success rates based on positive tests as opposed to actual births.

My advice is to choose a clinic closest to home or work. If it is a route you go down you will be visiting them a lot with your partner.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Percylips12

Thanks all.

That sounds a bit unfair.

It should be regularised somehow.

Lot of hard earned money going to these guys , not to mention the emotional side of things.

So if the success rates aren't worth the paper they are written on, how can I decide who to go with?? I'm based in the Midlands so can cover most of Ireland equally.

Can anyone here advise, maybe someone who has looked into all clinics , and decided to go with one, and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Thanks all.

That sounds a bit unfair.

It should be regularised somehow.

Lot of hard earned money going to these guys , not to mention the emotional side of things.

So if the success rates aren't worth the paper they are written on, how can I decide who to go with?? I'm based in the Midlands so can cover most of Ireland equally.

Can anyone here advise, maybe someone who has looked into all clinics , and decided to go with one, and why?

The various clinics do give stats on their websites. You just need to be mindful that they are not all measuring the same thing, as in some clinics might use live births are the measure of their success rates and other might use positive pregnancy tests. Once you are aware of that you should be able to tally up the results. Afaik, there isn't a huge difference in success rates between the clinics.

Success rates are not the only consideration when picking a clinic though in my opinion. I know you say that from the midlands you can go anywhere, but there are a good few trips to the clinic involved in a treatment cycle and so it can make a big difference to your stress levels to attend somewhere that is easy to get to. Also, I think that it is very important that you have a doctor that you trust and that you get on well with, and it might be worth meeting with a few doctors to see if there is one that you click with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

LCD wrote: »
    They'll all "arrange" their figures to look the most attractive. I found one that published their success rates based on positive tests as opposed to actual births.

My advice is to choose a clinic closest to home or work. If it is a route you go down you will be visiting them a lot with your partner.

Good luck

This should be your main consideration. Four times, 1 lad on first go, twins on forth.

• Advertisement

tinner777 wrote: »
    This should be your main consideration. Four times, 1 lad on first go, twins on forth.

Congrats tinner777!

Thanks all .

I just get the feeling that they are hiding something when they don't give up to date success rates. Like, the clinic with the success rates based on the period between 2012-2014!! Whats that about?!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The clinics don't need statistics to get people in the door because they are not short of people who don't really care that they don't have any stats newer than 2014 they just want their baby.

You can't really quantify success rates as any kind of guarantee that your case will be successful. Not in this field.

Around 20% of infertility is unexplained.Then you've to factor in that maybe many people presenting at the clinics have additional health conditions or physiological issues that are hindering their fertility. Add in to that, everyone responds to the medications differently.

When I was on Clomid another poster was on the exact same dose as me, neither of us had any health issues that might cause a variance yet both of us had very different experiences with the same drug. This is true for pretty much all the fertility medications. The first cycle is really learning and documenting how your body responds to the medications and that's refined for the second cycle.

I understand that it's a LOT of money and you want to be sure that you are getting your absolute money's worth - I totally get that. Have you looked into clincs abroad? Gennet in Prague and Serum in Athens were two that were consistently cited as excellent service when I was looking into it but that was 7 years ago, the latter was recommended by someone who had done unsuccessful rounds in Galway and Dublin and told me to not bother with Irish clinics if going for IVF just go straight abroad.

Neyite wrote: »
    The clinics don't need statistics to get people in the door because they are not short of people who don't really care that they don't have any stats newer than 2014 they just want their baby.

You can't really quantify success rates as any kind of guarantee that your case will be successful. Not in this field.

Around 20% of infertility is unexplained.Then you've to factor in that maybe many people presenting at the clinics have additional health conditions or physiological issues that are hindering their fertility. Add in to that, everyone responds to the medications differently.

When I was on Clomid another poster was on the exact same dose as me, neither of us had any health issues that might cause a variance yet both of us had very different experiences with the same drug. This is true for pretty much all the fertility medications. The first cycle is really learning and documenting how your body responds to the medications and that's refined for the second cycle.

I understand that it's a LOT of money and you want to be sure that you are getting your absolute money's worth - I totally get that. Have you looked into clincs abroad? Gennet in Prague and Serum in Athens were two that were consistently cited as excellent service when I was looking into it but that was 7 years ago, the latter was recommended by someone who had done unsuccessful rounds in Galway and Dublin and told me to not bother with Irish clinics if going for IVF just go straight abroad.

Thanks for the advice Neyite. Much appreciated. Yes we are considering going abroad, but its just the time needed off work will be hard to get. Plus we already have a 3 year old , with no childminder available to mind so she'll be coming with us!

If we went abroad for a week, would we get it all done with the one trip? Or would we need to go for initial consultations etc beforehand? From reading other threads on this , with the costs of flights, accommodation etc, their would be no real advantage price wise, and so we would be again looking at weather the success rates would be more attractive abroad, and make the decision from this, and this is why i started looking into the success rates of Irish clinics in the first place !!

I'm trying to remember from my own research but I think that it would be a week or so. They send all the prescriptions to you and skype /email consults, giving you a list of the certain blood tests you need to get from your GP leading up to the egg retrieval so all that information is ready to go. Then you go off for a few days until you see how the blasts are doing and do the transfer then.

I didn't do IVF but maybe someone here can fill you in better than I can.

Costs wise it's not a lot different, but European clinics often run tests or use technology that Irish clinics don't. Or often people go because regular IVF/ICSI has failed here for them and the next step is donor eggs and that's usually done abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

Merrion Fertility clinic has 2017 clinical and 2016 birth rates. I had my baby last month after first transfer. Same for my friend the previous year. Because of that, but also because it was handy for me location wise I didn't look anywhere else. Another friend also had her baby last month following treatment there, not sure if first try. But I'm not sure what I would have done if the location didn't suit me. There are a lot of appointments and I was just able to go there before work.
    Also I'm sure other people I know may have gone there with no success and I'm just not aware.

• Advertisement

Difficult to decide.

Iv attached a poll , if anyone with experience or knowledge can help.

IVF - Ireland or Abroad??

We would have to bring our child with us, and would have to pay flights , accommodation etc. Also, time off work would be a problem if number of visits needed . . . .so need to consider all this .

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

Haven't posted in a while. I've had IUI and IVF in Ireland. It was relatively easy manage the appointments for scans and so on I thought at the time. I'd get an appointment for 7.30 am in Dublin to avoid traffic. I'd leave home about 5.30am. I'd have a scan and eat my breakfast and drive the return journey. I'd shower to wake myself up and change for work and work from 12pm-11pm.
    I did this for a few IUIs. It was only as I chatted to a nurse I realised it was highly stressful swapping shifts at work and organising childcare for my toddler whilst injecting daily.
    So for my first and only IVF I went on sick leave for three weeks from the first day of my period to a few days after egg transfer. I was definitely calmer. Unfortunately unsuccessful.
    I've also thought about going abroad and I realise I'm extremely lucky to have a child already it is a concern what I'll do with my child. Will i bring child or leave her at home with grandparents, which involves telling one set.
    I lied through my teeth about my life throughout each cycle about my normal life, why I couldn't attend anything socially, why I was off work again etc.

I'm unaware of stats and figures in various clinics. Unfortunately the demand for clinics is increasing and it is a business.
    For us the patient it is a very tough emotional, physical and financial journey. I wish you both the best of luck and whatever decision you make I hope it is successful

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

I agree with former poster that clinics tend to not feel the need to update / share yearly stats as there is such a high demand they don’t need to worry about getting people in the door. I went to http://repromed.ie/ and based my decision on location really what with trying to schedule in apts so i wouldn’t have to travel too far while at work. I would try and get as much recommendations as possible before making your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Hi,

although I wouldn't rule going abroad out, it can be a really stressful time and you'll all need a bit of support (even if successful) from friends and family.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nidhuibhinn36

Hi All

We have started our IVF process here in Ireland ,m and the cost is os high.
    Has anyone gone abroad to Czech Republic , Spain or the UK for treatment , very nervous and over whelmed with info.

Would really appreciate any advice/stories anyone has!!

thansk
    KIKI

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Surely the sensible thing to do would be to attend a clinic that has a high turnover of patients, on the basis that they see more people so therefore have a wider experience of dealing with different types of infertility?Rather than the one with the highest success rate(if they are not the same place?)(if that makes sense?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Vhi cover some treatment if you go with Repromed but not any other clinic

Advertisement