Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The tweet is saying Billy V complained of a pain in his arm after the game v Quins which was October 6th

It's a bit vague on whether the pain he complained of last week was in same arm he broke this week though.

Yes. Again, I'm not disputing that bit, I'm just pointing out that razorblunt's original interpretation was that "Billy V has come out saying he was rushed back from injury", and I don't believe that is true - I think he has said that in the past, not recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah he spoke about it only a month ago and said it was his own fault for rushing back.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/14/billy-vunipola-saracens-england-rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

MJohnston wrote: »
    Look - I'm just pointing out that I think the Tweet suggests that Vunipola made the 'rushed' complaint in the past. Others here are trying to find an interview where Vunipola has said that in the last couple of days - which I don't think exists.

The tweets reads as it does, the last broken arm is the one he's just returned from isn't it?

There's been no clarification from the journo either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yeah he spoke about it only a month ago and said it was his own fault for rushing back.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/14/billy-vunipola-saracens-england-rugby

A large part of player welfare is protecting players from themselves, tho. It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

razorblunt wrote: »
    The tweets reads as it does, the last broken arm is the one he's just returned from isn't it?

Different arm this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

razorblunt wrote: »

The journo who tweeted it clarified in the replies that it was the other arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

prawnsambo wrote: »

What exactly has Kaino done do wrong? He tackled standing up and the attacking player's head went into his chest. They must really be sending out a message for guys to go low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

What exactly has Kaino done do wrong? He tackled standing up and the attacking player's head went into his chest. They must really be sending out a message for guys to go low.

A shoulder to the head.
    https://www.epcrugby.com/2018/10/17/disciplinary-decisions-round-1-2/

Six weeks reduced to five. Might seem harsh but he did knock a guy out cold, these things have to be dealt with.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there was a good discussion on this in the ugo monye podcast.
    interestingly all 3 contributors had different opinions, one red, one yellow and one play on......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭scott1974

I think that's it... it's the concussion fear, the whole nipple line tackle trialled in the U-20's world cup, they want to get away for Rugby League tacking... I'm sure the players have been briefed on it.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    there was a good discussion on this in the ugo monye podcast.
    interestingly all 3 contributors had different opinions, one red, one yellow and one play on......
    I think it was Danny Care who said red. Clearly that was the correct answer. There may well have been footage that showed it from the other angle.

That's disappointing in the sense that it will take away from the contest this weekend.

On the other hand if World Rugby don't strictly enforce tackle height we are going to see more retirements and more parents keeping their kids out of the sport neither of which is in anyone's favour.

I still don't think they've gotten the balance right with aerial challenges and I think the breakdown needs to be looked at but I definitely think this zero tolerance is a positive thing.

We'll see how strictly this gets enforced during the international window. Sam Cane's challenge on Henshaw a few seasons back was probably worse than Kaino's on Roberts at the weekend so teams are going to have to adapt.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think it was Danny Care who said red. Clearly that was the correct answer. There may well have been footage that showed it from the other angle.

Danny was yellow
    Ugo was play on (after discussing it with unnamed referees)
    the other presenter, Chris Jones, was red.... saying there was a clear arm to the head.

A lot of collisions are happening where two players are tackling a player and their heads come together. Those situations are worse as neither player sees the hit coming and their arms are tied up in the tackle. I am not sure how you can solve that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

That's a pretty damn harsh 5 weeks for Kaino.

I also would prefer Leinster to beat Toulouse with a full deck rather than players out like that, it somewhat cheapens the win, not that Leinster has anything to do with it.

If that is the threshold for a high tackle and 5 week ban, we are going to see a lot of players spending weeks on the sidelines.

I would appeal if it was me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I also would prefer Leinster to beat Toulouse with a full deck rather than players out like that, it somewhat cheapens the win, not that Leinster has anything to do with it.

I have literally never once cared about this and the history books very quickly forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I have literally never once cared about this and the history books very quickly forget.

In fairness I do care a lot about it when watching matches as a neutral. Occasionally as a Leinster fan too when I want to see a proper test of our quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Podge_irl wrote: »

Then I think you need to see a doctor :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Christ, England really can't catch a break.

Who do they have at 8 now?

England look very light now - without their first and second choice 8s and LHs.

Would Sam Simmonds the Exeter player be next in line?

At least they didn't follow FFR's lead and ban him until an hour before England's first game.

troyzer wrote: »
    Christ, England really can't catch a break.

Who do they have at 8 now?

Dean Richards

Dean Richards

Nope, Ben Morgan. Just announced.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No Nick Easter?

troyzer wrote: »
    Nope, Ben Morgan. Just announced.

Is Ben Morgan only 29...thought he was much older..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

England look very light now - without their first and second choice 8s and LHs.

Would Sam Simmonds the Exeter player be next in line?

hes out for 6 months

Clermont V Saracens looks like a good game on Saturday ...

• Advertisement

scott1974 wrote: »
    Clermont V Saracens looks like a good game on Saturday ...

Clermont are in the Challenge Cup.

Clermont are in the Challenge Cup.

Timisoara Saracens... I should have said.. :-)

scott1974 wrote: »
    Timisoara Saracens... I should have said.. :-)

Long johns might be the order.

I knew those 3 dots should have made me think a bit longer!

Long johns might be the order.

I knew those 3 dots should have made me think a bit longer!

Kinda messing but can't believe they are in the Challenge Cup. They look stronger now than in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

RC TOULON
    15. Hugo Bonneval, 14. Josua Tuisova, 13. Malakai Fekitoa, 12. Mathieu Bastareaud (c), 11. Julian Savea, 10. Anthony Belleau, 9. Anthony Meric,
    1. Florian Fresia, 2. Anthony Etrillard, 3. Sebastien Taofifenua
    , 4. Juandre Kruger, 5. Romain Taofifenua, 6. Swan Rebbadj, 7. Raphael Lakafia, 8. Florent Vanverberghe.

Replacements:

16. Bastien Soury, 17. Xavier Chiocci, 18. Emerick Setiano, 19. Jacques Potgieter, 20. Daniel Ikpefan, 21. Francois Trinh-Duc, 22. Eric Escande, 23. Rudy Gahetau,

Quite a change from the Toulon lineup's of the past, notwithstanding that they may be giving up on Europe.

Great opportunity for Edinburgh this weekend to win comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone got a link to all the squads. They were published on one page last week.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to all the squads. They were published on one page last week.

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/matches/line-ups/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

RC TOULON
    15. Hugo Bonneval, 14. Josua Tuisova, 13. Malakai Fekitoa, 12. Mathieu Bastareaud (c), 11. Julian Savea, 10. Anthony Belleau, 9. Anthony Meric,
    1. Florian Fresia, 2. Anthony Etrillard, 3. Sebastien Taofifenua
    , 4. Juandre Kruger, 5. Romain Taofifenua, 6. Swan Rebbadj, 7. Raphael Lakafia, 8. Florent Vanverberghe.

Replacements:

16. Bastien Soury, 17. Xavier Chiocci, 18. Emerick Setiano, 19. Jacques Potgieter, 20. Daniel Ikpefan, 21. Francois Trinh-Duc, 22. Eric Escande, 23. Rudy Gahetau,

Quite a change from the Toulon lineup's of the past, notwithstanding that they may be giving up on Europe.

Great opportunity for Edinburgh this weekend to win comfortably.
    That’s what happens when your sugar daddy gets bored with his toy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Toulon IMHO are all about what is wrong with modern professional rugby. Buying their way to success. I'm glad for one that the bubble seems to have burst.

Is this not more to do with the requirement to have French qualified players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Is this not more to do with the requirement to have French qualified players?

I think that rule only applies in domestic games and they’re free to play who they like (2 non-european rule aside) in Europe. Open to correction though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yeah but they'd surely plan their squad around who can play week in week out, therefore recruit more French and fewer foreign players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's partly to do with JIFF rules, but yes they only apply to the Top14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

its called CIFF now

What's really behind this is Freddy Burns wants another kick at goals and a chance to actually dot the ball down behind the try line. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The commentators on BT noted that 80mins hadn't passed when the ref blew up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If you're watching Munster vs Gloucester from Channel 4 on Saturday. It apparently will be done with Ryle Nugent & Jamie Heaslip doing commentary from Thomond Park.

Ryle Nugent will be the main Channel 4 commentator for Ireland's November Internationals.

http://www.the42.ie/ryle-nugent-rugby-commentator-channel-4-jamie-heaslip-4287120-Oct2018/#comments

https://twitter.com/ryle_nugent/status/1051795676135387137

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's a completely legitimate issue to complain about the time keeping of the game. It was a massive opportunity and moment.

But the notion they'll secure a replay is ridiculous and quite embarrassing of Craig. Bath blew it themselves. Suck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Have they confirmed the game time vs BT time? Austin Healy stated on that rugby show the clocks may not have been in sync so they must think they were off.

Craig Doyle is so twee he makes your teeth itch, keeps talking about the noise from the Scarlets fans ... who were right next to them and just happened to outnumber the Leicester fans a whole 45 mins before kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Leicester should have too much tonight for a patchwork Scarlets outfit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement