Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Edinburgh TBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Scarlets were able to sell out the stadium last season. The numbers are there. And had they won today they’d have potentially gone to second in the pool. This was a make or break game for them and the supporters didn’t show. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

molloyjh wrote: »
    Scarlets were able to sell out the stadium last season. The numbers are there. And had they won today they’d have potentially gone to second in the pool. This was a make or break game for them and the supporters didn’t show. Simple as.

Very disappointing. Can't help but feel more local fans would have turned out if they were playing Leicester tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Early start for the trip to Bath tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it and optimistic about our prospects. Been a wee while since my last away odyssey with Leinster.

Night night... 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Very disappointing. Can't help but feel more local fans would have turned out if they were playing Leicester tonight.

Success is the big thing though. How many would turn up in Thomond or the RDS if either had lost the first 2 rounds.

It is a shame for the Scarlets after a great season last year. The signings they brought in haven't worked out except for Blade Thompson who is injured now I think. The 2 SA boys just haven't been good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Success is the big thing though. How many would turn up in Thomond or the RDS if either had lost the first 2 rounds.

There's obvious mitigating factors (e.g. population) but I'd still expect crowds in excess of 10k at either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

You have a small population base there in south wales. The Scarlets, Dragons and Ospreys are all pretty close. Look at Leinster with a 1 million population getting 18k supporters. There is no comparison. Add in Cardiff and Swansea in the top 2 divisions of the Premier League and you have huge competition. The Irish provinces don't have that.

I think you will find the Irish provinces have plenty of competition from GAA football and Hurling. Also soccer.
    Rugby was the national sport in Wales. Is it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Neil3030 wrote: »

It is a shame for the Scarlets after a great season last year. The signings they brought in haven't worked out except for Blade Thompson who is injured now I think. The 2 SA boys just haven't been good enough.
    The attendance at the all Welsh teams has been appalling for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Last season Ulster had second highest avg attendances in the pro14 and we were/are a joke shop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It also needs to be remembered that the island of Ireland has a population of 6.5m. Wales has a population of 3m, yet both have 4 teams looking for support.. And that our 4 teams aren't all situated along the same.road within 60 miles of each other and two big football teams playing in the top divisions in England. Then there's also the fact that most Welsh fans have never taken to the regions and stick with club rugby and the national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

It also needs to be remembered that the island of Ireland has a population of 6.5m. Wales has a population of 3m, yet both have 4 teams looking for support.. And that our 4 teams aren't all situated along the same.road within 60 miles of each other and two big football teams playing in the top divisions in England. Then there's also the fact that most Welsh fans have never taken to the regions and stick with club rugby and the national team.

The regions are also completely artificial with no historical basis unlike Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

troyzer wrote: »
    The regions are also completely artificial with no historical basis unlike Ireland.

Don't think the historical basis makes much of a difference. Interpros only had one man and his dog going to them back in the 80's/early 90's until professionalism came along. You can't say that support in Ireland is because of the history behind it - it's because the game went professional.

Granny15 wrote: »

Don't think the historical basis makes much of a difference. Interpros only had one man and his dog going to them back in the 80's/early 90's until professionalism came along. You can't say that support in Ireland is because of the history behind it - it's because the game went professional.

True, I don't think anyone in Leinster describes themselves as a Leinster man or woman. But it's a pre-existing structure that doesn't feel as arbitrary as the Welsh regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

They were able to sell out games last season. And they were very vocal about that at the time. There are a lot of reasons/excuses for poor attendances but if they could sell out Parc y Scarlets in the last 12 months then they should be expecting a better turnout than was there last night on big match days. Yes they lost their first 2, but they were still in the running prior to that game. A win would have all but guaranteed them second place in the pool at the midway point as I don’t see Leicester getting anything in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Last season Ulster had second highest avg attendances in the pro14 and we were/are a joke shop.

This. Seven/eight years ago we were coming ninth/tenth in the league. The only guaranteed win was at home over the Dragons, and the crunch match each season was with Connacht, so we'd continue to qualify for Europe. We would always have had twice the crowd the Scarlets had last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

True, I don't think anyone in Leinster describes themselves as a Leinster man or woman. But it's a pre-existing structure that doesn't feel as arbitrary as the Welsh regions.
    Oh I think many do. I know people who go around in Leinster gear and have season tickets who have no club affiliation or interest in the club game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

First Up wrote: »
    Oh I think many do. I know people who go around in Leinster gear and have season tickets who have no club affiliation or interest in the club game.

And absolutely the same in Munster. And it's great to see. Bodes well for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

kuang1 wrote: »

And absolutely the same in Munster. And it's great to see. Bodes well for the future.
    Not the future of clubs though. Many are really struggling.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I know many leinster people who are munster supporters......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The Scarlets and Cardiff had a much longer and richer history than any of the Irish provinces.

Our success compared to them is a mixture of planning, luck and many things nothing to do with rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I know many leinster people who are munster supporters......

Filthbags the lot of them!

What's that supposed to mean? I might be one of those people. I don't play rugby (although I'm trying to get back into shape to play) and there's no AIL club anywhere near me.

Why is that a bad thing?

If it's the people who buy Leinster gear and don't even go to matches or maybe only the ones in Lansdowne, then I'd agree with you.

What's that supposed to mean? I might be one of those people. I don't play rugby (although I'm trying to get back into shape to play) and there's no AIL club anywhere near me.

Why is that a bad thing?

If it's the people who buy Leinster gear and don't even go to matches or maybe only the ones in Lansdowne, then I'd agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Bit strange having a season ticket but having no interest in going to games. Tell me where we're all these Leinster supporters in the early 90's. Answer they didn't exist because the pro game wasn't promoting the brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Oh look, there's a rugby match on!

Exeter/Gloucester draw would do nicely. Realistically a 4-0 win for Exeter would be grand.

Bit strange having a season ticket but having no interest in going to games. Tell me where we're all these Leinster supporters in the early 90's. Answer they didn't exist because the pro game wasn't promoting the brand

He's talking about people who are Leinster season ticket supporters but not members of their local junior or AIL club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

Super try from Exeter there

Lovely weather in Exeter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lovely try by Glasgow, Ashe pretty much under the posts.

Horne is such a clever scrum half, Scotland would be a completely different side with him starting at 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

The audio quality for the Exeter game is very poor. Can’t even hear the referees whistle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The quality of the Exeter game itself is shocking. The amount of knock ons is understandable due to the rain, but there have been so many kicks out into touch on the full.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

What was the Exeter player at trying to charge down the penalty?

Gloucester the better side but a long way to go yet. If Gloucester won here it would put the cat right amongst the pigeons and completely rejuvenate the pool.

Gloucester are close to a shock away win.

Gloucester are close to a shock away win.

Not sure what to make of it, coud mean Exeter send a weakened team to Thomond I suppose but trip to Gloucester will be tough now

And that's game over, Exeter look very poor today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Fab result for Munster.

Always felt Gloucester were significantly underrated by many. They've a very decent pack and a good coach. Injuries had hurt them badly earlier in the season but this will give them a huge lift.

Exeter are very capable of winning in Kingsholm next week though and cancelling this all out.

Big upset win just about completed for Gloucester.

Buer wrote: »
    Always felt Gloucester were significantly underrated by many. They've a very decent pack and a good coach. Injuries had hurt them badly earlier in the season but this will give them a huge lift.

Exeter are very capable of winning in Kingsholm next week though and cancelling this all out.

Exeter in the Aviva was the hardest game Leinster had till the final last year.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Fab result for Munster.
    I wouldn't think so. Exeter were circling the drain already and had no wins to date. Gloucester have beaten Castres, taken a point in Thomond and have Munster still to visit. They've put themselves in with a huge chance of winning this pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

errlloyd wrote: »
    Fab result for Munster.

If glaws win the return then Munster have to win at Kingsholm

Glaws have Castres away in round 6

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If glaws win the return then Munster have to win at Kingsholm

Glaws have Castres away in round 6

If Gloucester can win in Sandy Park they can win in Castres you'd think, especially if Munster have put Castres out of it by then

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I wouldn't think so. Exeter were circling the drain already and had no wins to date. Gloucester have beaten Castres, taken a point in Thomond and have Munster still to visit. They've put themselves in with a huge chance of winning this pool.

They didn't get anything from Thomond. It was 5 nil to Munster. But yeah, a win next week and they're right back it. Munster need to do the double over Castres.

It gives Munster the banker 5 pointer at home in January, a situation that Munster seem to get every season.

Gloucester put 10 men in the the lineout and still couldn't win their own ball :D

• Advertisement

Fortunate for Munster Glaws didn't get 5 there.

They didn't get anything from Thomond. It was 5 nil to Munster. But yeah, a win next week and they're right back it. Munster need to do the double over Castres.
    For some reason I thought the pinched a 4th try in the dying minutes.

Gloucester got nothing from the game in Thomond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It gives Munster the banker 5 pointer at home in January, a situation that Munster seem to get every season.

And they always get either last or second last game so know exactly what they need.

If it was an English team we'd all say it's rigged. Incredible advantage every year.

Toulon leading Montpellier 13-0. They have to win today or they're out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement