Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Win in Newcastle and Edinburgh are as good as through

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The Scarlets and Cardiff had a much longer and richer history than any of the Irish provinces.

Our success compared to them is a mixture of planning, luck and many things nothing to do with rugby.

That's a bit disingenuous. You are not comparing like for like. Scarlets and Cardiff were rugby clubs while the Provinces up to the pro era were representative sides. Their existences are parallel, different and both equally successful but in different ways.

Ulster Rugby was founded in 1868 with North of Ireland RFC - now Belfast Harlequins - being the first club, consolidated in 1875 with the first inter-pro. v. Leinster. Leinster also have been continuously active since 1875 with clubs like Wanderers and Lansdowne. Llanelli were founded in 1875, 7 years after the Irish clubs and the same year as the beginning of provincial rugby. Cardiff were founded in 1876. The IRFU was founded in 1879 with the amalgamation of the Irish Football Union and the Northern Football Union.

The Ulster Schools Cup is the second oldest rugby competition in the world being contested since 1876. Only the now moribund Hospitals Cup is older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Poor attendance at this Wasps game.

Who's going over in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Real kick in the balls for Wasps. They butcher a penalty kick to touch and then find themselves standing under their own posts. One bad mistake and its a potential 12 point swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

jacothelad wrote: »
    The Scarlets and Cardiff had a much longer and richer history than any of the Irish provinces.

Our success compared to them is a mixture of planning, luck and many things nothing to do with rugby.

That's a bit disingenuous. You are not comparing like for like. Scarlets and Cardiff were rugby clubs while the Provinces up to the pro era were representative sides. Their existences are parallel, different and both equally successful but in different ways.

Ulster Rugby was founded in 1868 with North of Ireland RFC - now Belfast Harlequins - being the first club, consolidated in 1875 with the first inter-pro. v. Leinster. Leinster also have been continuously active since 1875 with clubs like Wanderers and Lansdowne. Llanelli were founded in 1875, 7 years after the Irish clubs and the same year as the beginning of provincial rugby. Cardiff were founded in 1876. The IRFU was founded in 1879 with the amalgamation of the Irish Football Union and the Northern Football Union.

The Ulster Schools Cup is the second oldest rugby competition in the world being contested since 1876. Only the now moribund Hospitals Cup is older.
    Cardiff, Llanelli and the other big Welsh clubs are also effectively "representative" clubs, with many smaller clubs feeding their better players in to them.

The main difference in Ireland nowadays is that the four "super clubs" play every week, whereas when they were "provinces" it was a few times a year.

Great for Leinster etc but the feeder clubs are much diminished as their better players are taken.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Toulouse are cynical niggly fcuks..... You simply don't get clean ball against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

That's Wasps done and dusted for this year. Just the 3 points from 3 games (2 at home)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I know many leinster people who are munster supporters......

I know many Connacht people who are Leinster supporters! The word used for them is a tad more offensive than a "Lunster', I'll let you figure it out for yourselves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bazzo wrote: »
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    I know many leinster people who are munster supporters......

I know many Connacht people who are Leinster supporters! The word used for them is a tad more offensive than a "Lunster', I'll let you figure it out for yourselves :D

I don't see how Zzippy would offend anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Leinachtors......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Henshaw isn't offensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cardiff are leading early at Saracens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Brillant individual try by Matthew Morgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

10-18 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's certainly the much better match so far. Cardiff nearly conceded a try towards the end so they'll be happy that Sarries went for the 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Cardiff pissed away the 5 point lead and are 7 down now after two Sarries trys. Replacement SH for Sarries scored both.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What result are Ulster looking for in this Racing Tigers game?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

awec wrote: »

Win for Leicester obviously

Win for Leicester obviously

Exact opposite I'd have said. Ulster want Leicester absolutely dead and buried in the final round. They're aiming for best runner up spot, top spot isn't gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

This is going to be a slaughter fest. Leicester are getting completely dominated.

Never mind, Racing can't defend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Leicester playing some lovely rugby here.

Should be a good contest next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Leicester shooting themselves in the foot on attack here. They do well for a while, then **** it up completely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'd be hoping for Leicester to lose both matches and have nothing to play for come round 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Buer wrote: »
    Exact opposite I'd have said. Ulster want Leicester absolutely dead and buried in the final round. They're aiming for best runner up spot, top spot isn't gonna happen.

Ulster can win all their remaining matches. They should be aiming to top the pool. This Racing side are eminently beatable, Leicester are carving them open but keep screwing up.

And just as I type that, Leicester score. Ulster will beat Racing in Belfast.

• Advertisement

Ulster can win all their remaining matches. They should be aiming to top the pool. This Racing side are eminently beatable, Leicester are carving them open but keep screwing up.

Neither team can really defend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That looks like some weird ass half time show going on at the Racing Leicester game.

And just as I type that, Leicester score. Ulster will beat Racing in Belfast.

Ulster have a great chance of winning in Belfast but Racing are going to take 15 points from their home games and already have an away win. Ulster have 9 points.

Even if they take BP wins against Scarlets and Leicester, they'll finish on 23 points. Racing are just going to need a win in Leicester to finish on 23 even if they get nothing in Belfast with a glut of tries scored.

I don't think Racing are anywhere near consistent enough but they have enough fire power and experience to have this pretty secure for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Poor by Nakarawa there, should have given an easy pass but decided to take the hard option and take contact from two and offload

Brilliant from Ford and great thinking to pop the conversion quickly. Zebo asleep, he only stepped on the gas when he saw how close Ford had gotten.

Could have huge impact for other pools too if Leicester can take some hope into next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I'm away from tv so can't follow . Is Racings defence fairly leaky or Leicester taking their chances?

Eod100 wrote: »
    I'm away from tv so can't follow . Is Racings defence fairly leaky or Leicester taking their chances?

Bit of both. Both teams are just full out attacking, but Leicester are running riot but just can't convert their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

Zebo's been frequenting the boulangerie and the pastiseries whilst in Paris. George ford had him for gas on the last try.

Poor call from Owens. Ball clearly off the face of Evans. Leicester had 3 on 2 and the space to use it. Was a very good chance of a try.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think it's called a chicken wing tackle in Rugby League, it's were you hang on to a guys out stretched arm as he's falling and you break the arm by falling on it.

There was a bad one that caused the Leicester guy to go off in that game.

Dunno if it's citeable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

CatFromHue wrote:
    There was a bad one that caused the Leicester guy to go off in that game.

CatFromHue wrote:
    Dunno if it's citeable though.

Calum Clarke got 32 week ban for something similar on a leicester hooker Hawkins. Very nasty he should get a long ban for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Clarke did it on a prone player in a ruck, this was done in a moving tackle so they are a bit different.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with it.

Think the QFs as it stands

Sarries v Ulster
    Racing v Glasgow
    Toulouse v Leinster
    Munster v Edinburgh

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Sarries v Ulster
    Racing v Glasgow
    Toulouse v Leinster
    Munster v Edinburgh

Bank

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I couldn't handle going out to that shower again.

That said, if we played them and knocked them out it would be a fine medicine for the years of misery we have endured.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

Sarries v Ulster
    Racing v Glasgow
    Toulouse v Leinster
    Munster v Edinburgh

Both Scottish teams in the quarters is a good showing for them. Wonder if one of them will go one better and reach a semi

I couldn't handle going out to that shower again.

That said, if we played them and knocked them out it would be a fine medicine for the years of misery we have endured.

Chris Ashton doesn't play for them anymore so it's not as bad...mind you...Liam Williams...

Sarries v Ulster
    Racing v Glasgow
    Toulouse v Leinster
    Munster v Edinburgh

You're picking Toulouse to win in the RDS? Because that's the only way Toulouse win the group at this point. Assuming Leinster win this week and bury a Wasps team which has given up in the last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Really fearful the Munster are going to lose next weekend in france...they need to tighten in numerous area's going forward, very sloppy today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

troyzer wrote: »
    You're picking Toulouse to win in the RDS? Because that's the only way Toulouse win the group at this point. Assuming Leinster win this week and bury a Wasps team which has given up in the last game.
    “As is stands”

So at the end of round 3.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    troyzer wrote: »
    “As is stands”

So at the end of round 3.

Oh right. When you said "think" I thought you mean this is what you think will happen based on what you've seen.

My bad.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Really fearful the Munster are going to lose next weekend in france...they need to tighten in numerous area's going forward, very sloppy today

Munster v Castres, TBP away won't be easy.

Glaws away, esp if they beat Exeter on Friday becomes a really massive game then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

They bossed Castres all over the field today... Murray has another full week of training.. Joey and Farrell back fit and firing....it actually should be a 15 point victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Here's things as it stands. The tables are acting up on me so that's the best I can get unfortunately. It's a DIY job so could be some mistakes

Pool 1
    Team Played Won PD Points
    Toulouse 3 3 11 12
    Leinster 3 2 55 10
    Bath 3 0 -9 5
    Wasps 3 0 -57 3

Pool 2
    Munster 3 2 39 11
    Gloucester 3 2 -1 8
    Castres 3 1 -6 5
    Exeter 3 0 -12 3

Pool 3

Saracens 3 3 55 14
    Glasgow 3 2 27 10
    Cardiff 3 1 -34 4
    Lyon 3 0 -48 0

Pool 4

Racing 3 3 43 14
    Ulster 3 2 -17 9
    Leicester 3 1 -6 6
    Scarlets 3 0 -22 2

Pool 5

Edinburgh 3 2 38 11
    Newcastle 3 2 -14 8
    Montpellier 3 1 -7 6
    Toulon 3 1 -17 6

Fixtures:

Pool 1

15/12/2018
    15:15 Toulouse v Wasps
    17:30 Leinster v Bath

Pool 2

14/12/2018
    19:45 Gloucester v Exeter

15/12/2018
    17:30 Castres v Munster

Pool 3

15/12/2018
    13:00 Glasgow v Lyon
    13:00 Cardiff v Saracens

Pool 4

14/12/2018
    19:45 Ulster v Scarlets,

16/12/2018
    13:00 Leicester v Racing

Pool 5

16/12/2018
    15:15 Montpellier V Toulon
    15:15 Newcastle v Edinburgh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

griffinlee wrote: »
    Zebo's been frequenting the boulangerie and the pastiseries whilst in Paris. George ford had him for gas on the last try.

He'd been making a decent go at the cakes in Cork too for his last season!

Advertisement