Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Has any team ever had a home game for the quarters, semis and final?

I guess the only team this could possibly happen for is Leinster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »

Ulster in 98-99 closest. Quarter and Semi were in ravenhill and final in Lansdowne. One of only teams i think to have all 3 knock out games in their own country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

The final is almost always held either in a national stadium or in a non-rugby venue.

Obviously the Heinken cup final were it held in Lansdowne with Leinster would be a home final but this isn't true for most of the teams.

A final in Twickenham wouldn't be a home final for any of the English teams except Harlequins and maybe Sarries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Depends on what you call home?

When Wasps won in 2007 they played their games in Adams Park, The Ricoh and Twickeham. All of those are stadiums they have played regular season home games in, but to be fair, it was their first time in the Ricoh!

When Ulster beat Colomiers in 99 they had Ravenhill, Ravenhill, Landsdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Should have been us in 2003. Quarter and semi in Lansdowne, shat the bed against Perpignan and watched Toulouse lift the trophy from the East stand. Not a good memory.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    The final is almost always held either in a national stadium or in a non-rugby venue.

Obviously the Heinken cup final were it held in Lansdowne with Leinster would be a home final but this isn't true for most of the teams.

A final in Twickenham wouldn't be a home final for any of the English teams except Harlequins and maybe Sarries.

Toulon have occassionally moved games to Marseille where the 2020 final will be. So it could happen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ulster in 98-99 closest. Quarter and Semi were in ravenhill and final in Lansdowne. One of only teams i think to have all 3 knock out games in their own country

Wasps in 2007. Home QF, away SF which was only an hour up the road and final in Twickenham.

Northampton in 2000 and Toulouse in 2010 had all their games in their home nation too.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Toulon have occassionally moved games to Marseille where the 2020 final will be. So it could happen to them.

It still wouldn't really be a home final. They're different cities an hour away from each other and Marseilles have their own rugby team.

It's ****e to be fair but they still have one.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

errlloyd wrote: »
    Depends on what you call home?

When Wasps won in 2007 they played their games in Adams Park, The Ricoh and Twickeham. All of those are stadiums they have played regular season home games in, but to be fair, it was their first time in the Ricoh!

When Ulster beat Colomiers in 99 they had Ravenhill, Ravenhill, Landsdown.
    I mean proper home games.

Lansdowne Road is not a home game for Ulster, but it is for Leinster.

It's never happened in 53 years of the Superbowl either which is interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Sssshhhh
    No it's not. It's a neutral venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I see both Benetton and Zebre are in contention for Challenge Cup playoff spots. This suits them better than stretching their squads to cover a HCC campaign and struggling in both competitions. Benetton are also in contention to quality for next season's HCC on merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Signing the likes of Keatley will bring a lot to Benetton.

Great trip to make if anyone has never been to a match there!

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/matches/line-ups/

All of the squads for those of you playing Fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Think this is rankings at the moment. Big games to come so likely to change a fair bit.

1) Leinster, 20 points, 98 PD
    2) Racing, 19 points, 66 PD
    3) Saracens, 18 points, 67 PD
    4) Munster, 17 points, 64 PD
    5) Montpellier, 16 points, 51, PD
    6) Toulouse, 17 points, 10 PD
    7) Edinburgh, 15 points, 21 PD
    8) Glasgow, 14 points, 38 PD

9) Ulster, 14 points, - 2 PD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

Early days, but it's looking like Racing are going to pull away from Ulster

Edit: Must proof read before I post :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Leinster vs Munster quarter final a real possibility

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Does 1 play 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Stheno wrote: »
    Does 1 play 5?

No. 1 v 8 and 4 v 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Downlinz

(3) Leinster v (6) Ulster is the one I could see happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Stheno wrote: »
    Does 1 play 5?

1 v 8
    2 v 7
    3 v 6
    4 v 5

The 2 highest ranked teams left after those games have home semis in a change from last year.

At this juncture Id predict Leinster to finish #2 (if Ulster hold on v Racing) and Munster to finish #4 which if did happen, would mean they’d avoid each other in semi finals

Its all here anyways... https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/format/

In fact this Ulster v Racing game is nearly key to see where if Leinster finish #2 or #3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

My mistake was assuming racing would win and thought monpellier hadn't played yet for some reason. Ulster may well hang on if they perfect a grubber kick or two up the wing.

Don't think so. Would expect Leinster to finish 2nd or 3rd. Munster 4th or 5th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

Fantastic result for Ulster..had to work hard for that...but deserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Great weekend for the Irish Teams. Wonderful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

OldRio wrote: »
    Great weekend for the Irish Teams. Wonderful stuff.

Possible Racing v Leinster in semi

sUpEr rUgBy Iz bEtTeR.

Seriously though, this is why European rugby is so special.

Leinster are 1 point behind Racing going into the last round. I fully expect the full five from Wasps.

Leinster are streets ahead on tries so as long as Scarlets actually get up and hold them to a maximum of 4 points, Leinster will go second.

There's also a chance of squeezing in ahead of Saracens. They're on 18 with a game in hand. If they lose one they're snookered.

sUpEr rUgBy Iz bEtTeR.

Leinster are 1 point behind Racing going into the last round. I fully expect the full five from Wasps.

Leinster are streets ahead on tries so as long as Scarlets actually get up and hold them to a maximum of 4 points, Leinster will go second.

There's also a chance of squeezing in ahead of Saracens. They're on 18 with a game in hand. If they lose one they're snookered.
    Racing will get 4 tries against the Scarlets .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So which of the two games coming up should be the one to watch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Racing will get 4 tries against a Scarlet team

Yeah we needed Racing to come away with nothing today. Can't see anything but a 5 pointer from them next week

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    sUpEr rUgBy Iz bEtTeR.

Racing will get 4 tries against a Scarlet team

Probably. I think Saracens tripping up is a greater possibility. They're on a poor run of form lately and Farrell must be exhausted from the amount of minutes he's had.

I think they'll beat Lyon and possibly fall to Glasgow at home who will have a lot to play for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I wouldn't put much faith in Scarlets restricting Racing to 4 match points. They're a shadow of the side they were last season. Beirne is the obvious loss, but Barclay was every bit as important to them and he's gone as well. They've lost the impact at the ruck he game them.

Updated there.

1) Racing, 21 points, 62 PD
    2) Leinster, 20 points, 98 PD
    3) Saracens, 18 points, 67 PD
    4) Munster, 17 points, 64 PD
    5) Montpellier, 16 points, 51, PD
    6) Ulster, 18 points, 2 PD
    7) Toulouse, 17 points, 10 PD
    8) Edinburgh, 15 points, 21 PD
    9) Glasgow, 14 points, 38 PD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

sUpEr rUgBy Iz bEtTeR.

Points difference is the first thing used to separate teams on equal points from different groups. If thats the same then you go tries scored.

Anyways no way Racing dont take Scarlets for 5 points. The only hope is Saracens slipping up vs Glasgow I feel.

sUpEr rUgBy Iz bEtTeR.

Points difference is the first thing used to separate teams on equal points from different groups. If thats the same then you go tries scored.

Anyways no way Racing dont take Scarlets for 5 points. The only hope is Saracens slipping up vs Glasgow I feel.

I agree. Glasgow playing out of their skin to keep their European hopes alive is Leinster's best shot.

I can't imagine Lyon will do much.

• Advertisement

I agree. Glasgow playing out of their skin to keep their European hopes alive is Leinster's best shot.

I can't imagine Lyon will do much.

I wouldn't put much hope on Glasgow winning away from home either . V poor atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Based on performance today I would like to see Toulouse in the qtr, they are far better than half the teams out their

That's a fantastic offload and finish from Edinburgh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Don't know how it affects the provinces but I'll always back Edinburgh against Toulon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Toulon are tripe. Can’t see them beating Edinburgh here seen as though they don’t want to tackle or catch a high ball

• Advertisement

Toulon are tripe. Can’t see them beating Edinburgh here seen as though they don’t want to tackle or catch a high ball

I think real rugby fans everywhere always want the mercenaries to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

For all the time and money spent at Toulon, Savea has only scored 1 try :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Don't know how it affects the provinces but I'll always back Edinburgh against Toulon.

An Edinburgh win might leave Ulster needing a point at Welford Rd...maybe...all will become clearer tomorrow evening.

bilston wrote: »
    An Edinburgh win might leave Ulster needing a point at Welford Rd...maybe...all will become clearer tomorrow evening.
    I think an Edinburgh loss would help Munster in looking for a home quater final also.

Darcy Graham looks a real talent. Serious pace and strength

Synode wrote: »
    Darcy Graham looks a real talent. Serious pace and strength

He needed to pass that 3 strides sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What a try. Ridiculous off load

What a try. Ridiculous off load

Quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ridiculous offload, wonderful stuff. Only a Fijian could pull that off.

Fair play Edinburgh, but Toulon are pure rubbish......

• Advertisement
Advertisement