Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

FWIW, PP's odds are:

13/8 Leinster
    2/1 Saracens
    4/1 Racing
    8/1 Munter

I think the automatic home advantage for 1st and 2nd place in semis, more than likely Saracens and Racing could make difference.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think toulouse are better than Racing. And we played as poorly as we've played to lose to them by one at home. That gives me hope.

My head is kinda wrecked from the permutations!ha is this on the cards?

troyzer wrote: »
    I think Leinster will lose to Racing in the semi and lose to Munster in the Pro14 final.

My honest appraisal as a Leinster fan. I think we're just that much weaker than last year.

Though it must be said that on their day, they're the best team in the competition.

I don't think Racing's defence is strong enough to hold out a rampant Leinster though. Obviously anything can happen on the day but I'd be confident Leinster would win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Eod100 wrote: »
    My head is kinda wrecked from the permutations!ha is this on the cards?

Most likely.

Assuming Sarries, Racing and Leinster all win this weekend, and all win their quarter-finals, then Leinster will have a trip to France for the semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

FWIW, PP's odds are:

13/8 Leinster
    2/1 Saracens
    4/1 Racing
    8/1 Munter

I think the automatic home advantage for 1st and 2nd place in semis, more than likely Saracens and Racing could make difference.

Home country advantage rather than pure home advantage makes things slightly different.

Additionally, the permutations for a home country semi final are all over the place. For example last year Leinster (ranked 1) only had a home country advantage because Scarlets (ranked 4) won their quarter final. If La Rochelle (ranked 5) had beaten Scarlets away, the semi final would have been in France so its not simply down to highest seeds in the semi.

Most likely.

Assuming Sarries, Racing and Leinster all win this weekend, and all win their quarter-finals, then Leinster will have a trip to France for the semis.

Know they can face Racing, but wasn't sure a Racing v Toulouse qf was on cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Know they can face Racing, but wasn't sure a Racing v Toulouse qf was on cards.

Very much so. All depends on bonus points between Toulouse and Ulster. It's likely to be Racing/Leinster vs Toulouse/Ulster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Home country advantage rather than pure home advantage makes things slightly different.

Additionally, the permutations for a home country semi final are all over the place. For example last year Leinster (ranked 1) only had a home country advantage because Scarlets (ranked 4) won their quarter final. If La Rochelle (ranked 5) had beaten Scarlets away, the semi final would have been in France so its not simply down to highest seeds in the semi.

Those permutations are gone. Highest seed is at home in the semis now.

Home country advantage versus home advantage does make it a very different thing though.

Buer wrote: »
    Very much so. All depends on bonus points between Toulouse and Ulster. It's likely to be Racing/Leinster vs Toulouse/Ulster.

Yeah gone back and looked and it definitely is. Found my post under P1's saying Ulster could pip Toulouse so getting mixed up!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by P_1 View Post

1 Saracens 28
    2 Racing 26
    3 Leinster 24
    4 Edinburgh 23
    5 Munster 21
    6 Toulouse 22
    7 Ulster 22
    8 Glasgow 19
    9 Montpellier 17
    10 Exeter 13

Saracens v Glasgow
    Racing v Ulster
    Leinster v Toulouse
    Edinburgh v Munster

Semi finals
    Munster v Saracens
    Racing v Leinster

The Leinster Munster final is on!
    I think this is fairly spot on. Think Ulster could potentially pip Toulouse for 6th spot. Think there's 4 tries in them vs Scarlets. Would mean a Leinster v Ulster qf, so would guarantee at least 1 team in semi.

Real tight margins from here on, 1 tbp could mean difference in ranking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah gone back and looked and it definitely is. Found my post under P1's saying Ulster could pip Toulouse so getting mixed up!

Quote:

1 Saracens 28
    2 Racing 26
    3 Leinster 24
    4 Edinburgh 23
    5 Munster 21
    6 Toulouse 22
    7 Ulster 22
    8 Glasgow 19
    9 Montpellier 17
    10 Exeter 13

Saracens v Glasgow
    Racing v Ulster
    Leinster v Toulouse
    Edinburgh v Munster

Semi finals
    Munster v Saracens
    Racing v Leinster

I think this is fairly spot on. Think Ulster could potentially pip Toulouse for 6th spot. Think there's 4 tries in them vs Scarlets. Would mean a Leinster v Ulster qf, so would guarantee at least 1 team in semi.

Munster would be away to Sarcens. They changed the home semis rule this year.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Munster would be away to Sarcens. They changed the home semis rule this year.

Ah yeah, that was me just piggy-backing under P1's post. My bit is just the bit at the end. But yup you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Semi finals
    Munster v Saracens
    Racing v Leinster

Munster would be away

There also remains a chance (very slim) of a Leinster Munster QF

Riskymove wrote: »
    Munster would be away

There also remains a chance (very slim) of a Leinster Munster QF

If Leinster were to come 4th? Think it would need Montpellier to win with a tbp, Leinster to not get a lbp, and a gap of close to 50 pd to be made up.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Those permutations are gone. Highest seed is at home in the semis now.

Home country advantage versus home advantage does make it a very different thing though.

Ah that's good to know. Didn't make a lot of sense to me last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

If Leinster were to come 4th? Think it would need Montpellier to win with a tbp, Leinster to not get a lbp, and a gap of close to 50 pd to be made up.

well I said very slim

if both leinster and Toulouse lose for example

or leinster draw and Edinburgh win with BP etc

all unlikely stuff like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Quote:

1 Saracens 28
    2 Racing 26
    3 Leinster 24
    4 Edinburgh 23
    5 Munster 21
    6 Toulouse 22
    7 Ulster 22
    8 Glasgow 19
    9 Montpellier 17
    10 Exeter 13

Saracens v Glasgow
    Racing v Ulster
    Leinster v Toulouse
    Edinburgh v Munster

Semi finals
    Munster v Saracens
    Racing v Leinster

Ulster are away at Leicester

Synode wrote: »
    Ulster are away at Leicester

Still think they could get a tbp though. Especially with Leicester being out.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Also Leicester are crippled with Injuries . Great opportunity for Ulster to get max pts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Vinnie222 wrote: »

Also Leicester are crippled with Injuries . Great opportunity for Ulster to get max pts

Leicester also can't defend for their lives.

Jacob Stockdale to score 7 tries.

• Advertisement

Leicester also can't defend for their lives.

Jacob Stockdale to score 7 tries.

Well if anyone could.. :P He's not 23 til after the 6N, has some future ahead of him!

Well if anyone could.. :P He's not 23 til after the 6N, has some future ahead of him!

Some lad.

Does anyone know when the stadiums for the semi finals will be nominated? Assuming we end up with this:

1) Saracens
    2) Racing
    3) Leinster
    4) Edinburgh
    5) Munster
    6) Ulster
    7) Toulouse
    8) Glasgow

Sarcens Vs Glasgow
    Racing Vs Toulouse
    Leinster Vs Ulster
    Edinburgh Vs Munster

The semi finals are likely to be this:

Saracens Vs Munster
    Racing Vs Leinster

Obviously a lot can happen between now and then but I'd be confident enough in this prediction that I'm starting to look at getting flights to France for the semi final weekend. Will we not know until after the quarters what stadium Racing would host Leinster in? Assuming that's what happens?

Some lad.

Does anyone know when the stadiums for the semi finals will be nominated? Assuming we end up with this:

1) Saracens
    2) Racing
    3) Leinster
    4) Edinburgh
    5) Munster
    6) Ulster
    7) Toulouse
    8) Glasgow

Sarcens Vs Glasgow
    Racing Vs Toulouse
    Leinster Vs Ulster
    Edinburgh Vs Munster

The semi finals are likely to be this:

Saracens Vs Munster
    Racing Vs Leinster

Obviously a lot can happen between now and then but I'd be confident enough in this prediction that I'm starting to look at getting flights to France for the semi final weekend. Will we not know until after the quarters what stadium Racing would host Leinster in? Assuming that's what happens?

Judging by last year it was just before the qfs I think. Then have to wait for kos to be confirmed. It's a tight enough turn around to confirm and for fans to book, especially with sfs being on Easter weekend.

If it's anything to go on Munster travelled to Racing in Bordeaux on a Sunday in sf last season. Not actually sure how nomination of venue works, does host club nominate a few grounds outside their home stadium and EPCR nominates one? Guess capacity an issue.

Judging by last year it was just before the qfs I think. Then have to wait for kos to be confirmed. It's a tight enough turn around to confirm and for fans to book, especially with sfs being on Easter weekend.

If it's anything to go on Munster travelled to Racing in Bordeaux on a Sunday in sf last season. Not actually sure how nomination of venue works, does host club nominate a few grounds outside their home stadium and EPCR nominates one? Guess capacity an issue.

I have no idea. I'm just hoping for some sort of heads up more than a few weeks before kick off.

If it's Bordeaux then doubly so. I don't want to spend €600 on flights to a semi final, I wouldn't bother.

But if I can get them for less than €200 knowing the match will be there assuming my predictions are right, then I'll be a happy man.

Worst case scenario I'm on a holiday for the weekend and can watch the matches in the pub.

I just found out civil servants get Good Friday off and it doesn't count towards annual leave. Happy days.

EPCR just pick the ground, don't believe the team has any input.

If Leinster are playing in France the game will almost certainly be on the Sunday.

EPCR just pick the ground, don't believe the team has any input.

If Leinster are playing in France the game will almost certainly be on the Sunday.

I assumed that but WHERE in France?

• Advertisement

No clue, but if you wanted to do some detective work you could look at what grounds >30k capacity aren't already in use that weekend.

No clue, but if you wanted to do some detective work you could look at what grounds >30k capacity aren't already in use that weekend.

The obvious answer would be Stade de France.

Does it have to be a rugby stadium?

I would imagine that is far too big. The 30-40k range is more likely.

No it doesn't. I would think Bordeaux, Lyon or Marseille are the most likely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The obvious answer would be Stade de France.

Does it have to be a rugby stadium?

Leinster played Clermont in St Etiennes ground, so no it doesn't have to be a rugby stadium.

I would imagine that is far too big. The 30-40k range is more likely.

No it doesn't. I would think Bordeaux, Lyon or Marseille are the most likely.
    Leinster played Clermont in St Etiennes ground and Munster played then in Montpelliers ground, so no it doesn't have to be a rugby stadium.

So basically it could be any one of many stadiums all over France.

Guess I'll have to wait so.

• Advertisement

Leinster played Clermont in St Etiennes ground, so no it doesn't have to be a rugby stadium.

It is way harder to guess where the games will be these days as at least when the teams selected they had "go-to" stadiums.

I have no idea. I'm just hoping for some sort of heads up more than a few weeks before kick off.

If it's Bordeaux then doubly so. I don't want to spend €600 on flights to a semi final, I wouldn't bother.

But if I can get them for less than €200 knowing the match will be there assuming my predictions are right, then I'll be a happy man.

Worst case scenario I'm on a holiday for the weekend and can watch the matches in the pub.

I just found out civil servants get Good Friday off and it doesn't count towards annual leave. Happy days.

Booked flights from Dublin-Stansted, Stansted-La Rochelle with Ryanair and train return to Bordeaux a few days after qfs for reasonable price. Obviously longer than direct but saved a few hundred. Airbnb was reasonable enough price too.

If it's another part of France and you're already booked say, could always get train if that's an option.

Dunno would it being Easter weekend increase prices though.

Well if you really think the difference in flight costs would be €400 then you would be best off just flying to Paris and getting a TGV.

Well if you really think the difference in flight costs would be €400 then you would be best off just flying to Paris and getting a TGV.

Hmm, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Booked flights from Dublin-Stansted, Stansted-La Rochelle with Ryanair and train return to Bordeaux a few days after qfs for reasonable price. Obviously longer than direct but saved a few hundred. Airbnb was reasonable enough price too.

If it's another part of France and you're already booked say, could always get train if that's an option.

Dunno would it being Easter weekend increase prices though.

The long way around is definitely the best way to do it if you want to cut down on costs. We booked flights for Bilbao a couple of hours after Leinster beat Scarlets in the semi final last year and got them for less than €200 return each by going through Barcelona on the way over and Edinburgh and Newcastle on the way back.

Has anyone picked up tickets for final? Booked flights in October but haven't come across tickets since.. Guess there will be tickets set aside for the finalists but will be going either way, so keen on getting my hands on one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Has anyone picked up tickets for final? Booked flights in October but haven't come across tickets since.. Guess there will be tickets set aside for the finalists but will be going either way, so keen on getting my hands on one!

There is 3 of us going over together who are also looking for tickets. Have everything booked and will be going regardless of who is in the final. We will probably go to the Challenge Cup final on the Friday too. But we're worried about getting tickets for the Heineken final at the moment!

There is 3 of us going over together who are also looking for tickets. Have everything booked and will be going regardless of who is in the final. We will probably go to the Challenge Cup final on the Friday too. But we're worried about getting tickets for the Heineken final at the moment!

Yeah was thinking of going to Challenge Cup final all going well. Had tickets to it last year but Aer Lingus flight was massively delayed so missed it.

I was sussing it out before Christmas and organisers said ''We have corporate seats and finalists allocations only left. Depending on QF and SF draw we may be able to release more but can’t definitely say.'' Dunno is that still the case though.

Apparently a lot of Newcastle football fans bought up tickets so might be some on sale unofficially between now and then, but would prefer official channels before I chanced that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Yeah was thinking of going to Challenge Cup final all going well. Had tickets to it last year but Aer Lingus flight was massively delayed so missed it.

I was sussing it out before Christmas and organisers said ''We have corporate seats and finalists allocations only left. Depending on QF and SF draw we may be able to release more but can’t definitely say.'' Dunno is that still the case though.

Apparently a lot of Newcastle football fans bought up tickets so might be some on sale unofficially between now and then, but would prefer official channels before I chanced that.

Racing returned a good portion of their allocation last year and Murrayfield was nowhere near full the year before when Saracens made the final so I’d say there’s a quite a good chance of there being returns from the finalists allocations going on sale through official channels.

Kevski wrote: »
    Racing returned a good portion of their allocation last year and Murrayfield was nowhere near full the year before when Saracens made the final so I’d say there’s a quite a good chance of there being returns from the finalists allocations going on sale through official channels.

Yeah neither Racing or Saracens known for a huge travelling support! There were nearly as many Munster fans as Racing fans in Bordeaux for sf last year.

• Advertisement

Tickets, flights, accommodation and car hire all sorted for the final.

Can't wait.

Can't wait.

Happy days! That's another thing I must sort. Was accommodation tricky to find?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 MOLF Hunter

Can't wait.

Racing v Sarries will be a cracker alright!

:D

Happy days! That's another thing I must sort. Was accommodation tricky to find?

Yes. Very.

In the end, I managed to take advantage of an AirBnB host who apparently wasn't aware that it was a weekend they could gouge people. The hotels were wise to it ages ago.

If you're happy to just have a room in someone's house, there are plenty of options now for €30 or so. I would book that now just in case.

I got my flights through Doncaster for €40, it's a two hour drive away. Newcastle flights were already €300+.

I did all of this back in August/September. I imagine it's worse now.

Racing v Sarries will be a cracker alright!

:D

johnny-sexton-34-752x501.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

4 Tickets bought in December. Staying with friends in Middlesbrough. Train in the morning to Newcastle then back to Boro on the night.
    Must sort out flights ASAP.

OldRio wrote: »
    4 Tickets bought in December. Staying with friends in Middlesbrough. Train in the morning to Newcastle then back to Boro on the night.
    Must sort out flights ASAP.

Try Doncaster. I added another seat the other day and return flights were only €90.

Yes. Very.

In the end, I managed to take advantage of an AirBnB host who apparently wasn't aware that it was a weekend they could gouge people. The hotels were wise to it ages ago.

If you're happy to just have a room in someone's house, there are plenty of options now for €30 or so. I would book that now just in case.

I got my flights through Doncaster for €40, it's a two hour drive away. Newcastle flights were already €300+.

I did all of this back in August/September. I imagine it's worse now.

Yeah saw a few AirbnBs a while back but didn't sort it.

Booked flights to Edinburgh in October. Think it's about an 1 hour/ 1hr and a half train so could always stay in Edinburgh if it came to it. Would miss out on the craic after the final I guess though!

Yeah saw a few AirbnBs a while back but didn't sort it.

Booked flights to Edinburgh in October. Think it's about an 1 hour/ 1hr and a half train so could always stay in Edinburgh if it came to it. Would miss out on the craic after the final I guess though!

I'd jump on AirBnB pronto. There are plenty left but might not be for long.

• Advertisement

Yeah got two on the day they went on sale in an either confident or hopeful approach. Sitting between the half and 22. Have a hotel sorted too but just need to sort out travel which won't be any issue given its England.

Will put in for two tickets if Leinster get there through the ST and you can have it if I get lucky - keep in touch!

Advertisement