Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hard to look beyond Sarries, Leinster, Racing and possibly Toulouse as likely winners at this point.

Munster are not far off mind you........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah got two on the day they went on sale in an either confident or hopeful approach. Sitting between the half and 22. Have a hotel sorted too but just need to sort out travel which won't be any issue given its England.

Will put in for two tickets if Leinster get there through the ST and you can have it if I get lucky - keep in touch!

Sound man, yeah that would be brilliant thanks! Appreciate that! :)

Hard to look beyond Sarries, Leinster, Racing and possibly Toulouse as likely winners at this point.

Munster are not far off mind you........

I think our bugbear is winning a semi-final, but I think with our starting squad we could be there or thereabouts. Looking like it could be Sarries who will probably provide a chunk of players to England. Munster same too but I think if Ireland have a good 6N, it will definitely have a positive impact on provinces in Europe to certain extent even if it's just mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 F.nelson

Have Leeds booked to fly into and will get the train to Newcastle. Cheapest and closest route I could see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

F.nelson wrote: »
    Have Leeds booked to fly into and will get the train to Newcastle. Cheapest and closest route I could see

We are flying to Edinburgh and it worked out the same price as Leeds, but the flight times suited us better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

EDINBURGH RUGBY
    15. Blair Kinghorn, 14. Darcy Graham, 13. James Johnstone, 12. Chris Dean, 11. Duhan Van Der Merwe, 10. Jaco van der Walt, 9. Henry Pyrgos,
    1. Pierre Schoeman, 2. Stuart McInally (c), 3. WP Nel, 4. Ben Toolis, 5. Grant Gilchrist, 6. Jamie Ritchie, 7. Hamish Watson, 8. Viliame Mata.

Replacements:
    16. David Cherry, 17. Allan Dell, 18. Simon Berghan, 19. Fraser McKenzie, 20. Luke Crosbie, 21. Nathan Fowles, 22. Simon Hickey, 23. Juan Pablo Socino,

MONTPELLIER
    15. Frans Steyn, 14. Timoci Nagusa, 13. Arthur Vincent, 12. Jan Serfontein, 11. Henry Immelman, 10. Johan Goosen, 9. Ruan Pienaar,
    1. Grry Fichten, 2. Bismarck Du Plessis, 3. Jannie Du Plessis, 4. Nico Janse van Rensburg, 5. Jacques Du Plessis, 6. Fulgence Ouedraogo, 7. Yacouba Camara, 8. Louis Picamoles (c).

Replacements:
    16. Vincent Giudicelli, 17. Usha Tcheisvhili, 18. Levan Chilachava, 19. Kelian Galletier, 20. Yvan Reilhac, 21. Benoit Paillaugue, 22. Vincent Martin, 23. Paul Willemse,

This game will go a long way to determining playoff seeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A rare occurrence of a French side going all in away from home and putting out their strongest team.

Edinburgh are in flying form but that's a serious side that Montpellier are fielding; it's comfortably stronger than the one sent to Toulon and Newcastle.

9 South Africans in their starting line up is ridiculous though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    9 South Africans in their starting line up is ridiculous though.

You'd like to think the usual French attitude to away games doesn't apply! Here's hoping they win it as it would allow Munster to sneak a home quarter-final with a win vs. Exeter.

You'd like to think the usual French attitude to away games doesn't apply! Here's hoping they win it as it would allow Munster to sneak a home quarter-final with a win vs. Exeter.

A 1-4 win for Montpellier would do it yeah? Cos they have the better head to head I think. Think Montp will be fairly motivated but would have to favour Edinburgh at home especially the form they're in.

You'd think they'd be shouting for Edinburgh.. :P https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1085894384204300288?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Eod100 wrote: »
    You'd think they'd be shouting for Edinburgh.. :P https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1085894384204300288?s=19

Montpellier fly Ryanair.

Reminds of that scene in Moneyball where David Justice was having a go at having to pay for the drinks in the clubhouse.

"Bill likes to keep the money on the field"

troyzer wrote: »
    Montpellier fly Ryanair.

Reminds of that scene in Moneyball where David Justice was having a go at having to pay for the drinks in the clubhouse.

"Bill likes to keep the money on the field"

Yup but would imagine there would be a fair but more Munster fans travelling to Edinburgh than Montpellier fans to Munster..ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Wasps going all in on the strategy that got them in this mess in the first place.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/46903439

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

troyzer wrote: »
    Wasps going all in on the strategy that got them in this mess in the first place.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/46903439

Will Stuart is leaving, so they've splashed out on an AB to replace a home-grown player.

Sums up Wasps really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Will Stuart is leaving, so they've splashed out on an AB to replace a home-grown player.

Sums up Wasps really.

They're not. He's replacing their first-choice TH Jake Cooper-Woolley who is moving on next season.

Edit: and a guy with one NZ cap from 2013 probably isn't that expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They're not. He's replacing their first-choice TH Jake Cooper-Woolley who is moving on next season.

Edit: and a guy with one NZ cap from 2013 probably isn't that expensive.

Shhh don't let facts get in the way of my narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

EDINBURGH RUGBY
    15. Blair Kinghorn, 14. Darcy Graham, 13. James Johnstone, 12. Chris Dean, 11. Duhan Van Der Merwe, 10. Jaco van der Walt, 9. Henry Pyrgos,
    1. Pierre Schoeman, 2. Stuart McInally (c), 3. WP Nel, 4. Ben Toolis, 5. Grant Gilchrist, 6. Jamie Ritchie, 7. Hamish Watson, 8. Viliame Mata.

Replacements:
    16. David Cherry, 17. Allan Dell, 18. Simon Berghan, 19. Fraser McKenzie, 20. Luke Crosbie, 21. Nathan Fowles, 22. Simon Hickey, 23. Juan Pablo Socino,

MONTPELLIER
    15. Frans Steyn, 14. Timoci Nagusa, 13. Arthur Vincent, 12. Jan Serfontein, 11. Henry Immelman, 10. Johan Goosen, 9. Ruan Pienaar,
    1. Grry Fichten, 2. Bismarck Du Plessis, 3. Jannie Du Plessis, 4. Nico Janse van Rensburg, 5. Jacques Du Plessis, 6. Fulgence Ouedraogo, 7. Yacouba Camara, 8. Louis Picamoles (c).

Replacements:
    16. Vincent Giudicelli, 17. Usha Tcheisvhili, 18. Levan Chilachava, 19. Kelian Galletier, 20. Yvan Reilhac, 21. Benoit Paillaugue, 22. Vincent Martin, 23. Paul Willemse,

This game will go a long way to determining playoff seeding.

Hope Edinburgh do the business...sorry Ruan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

That's going to be game of the weekend me thinks. Great that it's on Friday too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Is there any bar in Dublin that would show the Embra vs monpellier game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Is there any bar in Dublin that would show the Embra vs monpellier game?

I'd expect good sports pubs like the Goat, McSorleys or the Woolshed to have both games on. Probably others too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

First Up wrote:
    I'd expect good sports pubs like the Goat, McSorleys or the Woolshed to have both games on. Probably others too.

Sinnotts would be another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Thinking to myself "hmmm, would like to watch some rugby tonight, but not sure I can stomach a dead rubber involving Newcastle & Toulon".

Then my brain switched on, and I remembered Edinburgh vs Montpellier :)

That Montpellier team wouldn't look out of place in Pretoria.

I see Cruden can't even make the 23 - if he's not injured, that's a bit of a damning indictment. Much like Sopoaga he's been Joe Average in recent times.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I see Cruden can't even make the 23 - if he's not injured, that's a bit of a damning indictment. Much like Sopoaga he's been Joe Average in recent times.

But has he been Ross Byrne average?

But has he been Ross Byrne average?

TBH Venjur I barely ever watch any NH club games not involving an Irish team. Tonight will be an exception I suppose.

I think the jury's out for me on Byrne. I don't often agree with awec, but I'd need to see Byrne behind a beaten pack, before reaching a conclusion. He's a very solid reliable 10, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a brilliant one.

Cruden was never as good as Carter, but he was very good at times. However, the games I have seen of him for Montpellier, pretty uninspiring.

You'd have to say that the best performing AB 10 to come north has been Nick Evans.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    TBH Venjur I barely ever watch any NH club games not involving an Irish team. Tonight will be an exception I suppose.

I think the jury's out for me on Byrne. I don't often agree with awec, but I'd need to see Byrne behind a beaten pack, before reaching a conclusion. He's a very solid reliable 10, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a brilliant one.

Cruden was never as good as Carter, but he was very good at times. However, the games I have seen of him for Montpellier, pretty uninspiring.

You'd have to say that the best performing AB 10 to come north has been Nick Evans.

What on earth gave you the impression I was looking for a considered and detailed response?

Byrne > Sopoaga.

That's literally all you had to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Leinster could sign Johann Goosen, Ross Byrne would be on the first rickshaw to Galway

What on earth gave you the impression I was looking for a considered and detailed response?

Byrne > Sopoaga.

That's literally all you had to say.

Burn > Sop Oh An Gah.

There, I literally said it.

If Leinster could sign Johann Goosen, Ross Byrne would be on the first rickshaw to Galway

Goosen's talent was really wasted by South Africa.

I think he would have been a major star had he played in NZ. The sort of running 10s that NZers like and suits Super Rugby.

Hope Edinburgh win though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Cover for Carty while he's away with Ireland? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I fancy both Montpellier and Toulon tonight.
    Montpellier have it in that team to win and by a big margin if they hit form.
    Toulon have a very good team out tonight and I think they'll want to avenge that home loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Scrappy start. Neither team wants to play with ball

Big crowd too :rolleyes:

Bit harsh on Edinburgh. They're looking to spin it wide lots. Even receiving a kick after a turnover, they spun a 25m pass inside to try and stretch Montpellier. They're generally all about the running game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Edinburgh v Montpellier is almost like a South Africa Exiles trial match.

If it's Edinburgh v Munster qf there could easily be as many Munster fans at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Bit harsh on Edinburgh. They're looking to spin it wide lots. Even receiving a kick after a turnover, they spun a 25m pass inside to try and stretch Montpellier. They're generally all about the running game.
    Up until that possession they'd kicked the ball away 3 times around half way in 9 minutes

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Edinburgh v Montpellier is almost like a South Africa Exiles trial match.

9 starting South Africans for Montpellier but only a mere 4 for Edinburgh.

So more South Africans than any nationality on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Is Pyrgos always this slow?

There's no limit on number of SAs in a team
    in Europe then? Thought Top 14 might have their own rules..

WP Nel is the best player on the park.

Hamish Watson looks to have done something significant. Big blow to Scotland and Edinburgh to lose their starting openside just before the 6N.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »

there are glaciers that melt faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Montpellier can't live with Edinburgh's physicality.

What a time to be alive.

The ultimate shame for JdP. Shades of Cian Healy in 2010.

But there's a big difference between a 22 year old getting hooked away to Toulouse and a 70 cap Springbok being pulled against Edinburgh.

Montpellier can't live with Edinburgh's physicality.

What a time to be alive.

Some of the Edinburgh clear outs have been savage. They're very accurate in their ball retention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

vienne86 wrote: »

Struck me too, a sloth would provide speedier service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Hamish Watson looks to have done something significant. Big blow to Scotland and Edinburgh to lose their starting openside just before the 6N.

Scotland are already hammered with back row injuries aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

Murrayfield is such a terrible venue for regional rugby. Zero atmosphere for a game of this importance. What crowd is there I wonder, 10k?

After Pienaar tapped and went, the pop looked comfortably forward.

Game on now, finely balanced for the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

That's a try for me. Careless by Edinburgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Clearly a try

• Advertisement
Advertisement