Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Buer wrote: »
    I would imagine television had a big say. I can't think that Edinburgh would want that slot. A half empty stadium with all of their fans sober and quiet...I don't think any home side would want that slot, to be honest.

Not ideal for travelling Munster fans either. It's out Friday night or early Saturday morning to be over in time for ko

aloooof wrote: »
    Is CC televised from the knock-outs onwards?

Think so according to this. Looks like Edinburgh v Munster on c4 and virgin too. https://www.epcrugby.com/2019/01/25/quarter-finals-dates-venues-kick-off-times-and-tv-coverage-announced/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

12:45, what an awful kickoff time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

12:45 ffs. What a ****e time for a time. Munster don’t really play that well with those early kick offs either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

12:45, what an awful kickoff time.

Not great for fans but a boost for Munster IMO, any (remote) hope of a raucous Braveheart-style home crowd are gone.

Also opens up the possibility of getting home Saturday night too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Also opens up the possibility of getting home Saturday night too.

I'd rather camp somewhere for the day and watch the other games and head home Sunday otherwise a fairly short trip

Chanced booking Friday to Monday for 60e return last Friday when it looked like Edinburgh would win, so will make a weekend of it. At least there's plenty of rugby on the Sunday too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Riskymove wrote: »
    I'd rather camp somewhere for the day and watch the other games and head home Sunday otherwise a fairly short trip

Yep. That’s the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Camp? In a tent like?

Ye Munster lads are hardcore

Camp? In a tent like?

Ye Munster lads are hardcore

Sure the weather in Edinburgh is lovely in March :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If it’s any consolation to Munster fans, the 12:45pm time slot also places it in the free to air window, and it will be shown on Virgin 1 and Channel 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Champions get the prime time slot, thats just the way of it. If Munster had the evening kickoff no doubt there'd be griping about having to stay over...

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Champions get the prime time slot, thats just the way of it. If Munster had the evening kickoff no doubt there'd be griping about having to stay over...

Well there's a slot in between so not really. Assume most fans will be going for either Fri and Sat night or Sat night. Think it's fair enough to express preference for a later slot when Munster will likely bring one of the biggest away support of the qfs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Sarries were always going to be 3 o clock with BT and Leinster as holders the prime slot especially as its a derby. The french love a Sunday game. The only surprise for me is Munster playing on saturday instead of Friday. The most intriguing of the 4 games too so a shame its on at that time

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Sarries were always going to be 3 o clock with BT and Leinster as holders the prime slot especially as its a derby. The french love a Sunday game. The only surprise for me is Munster playing on saturday instead of Friday. The most intriguing of the 4 games too so a shame its on at that time

I think the Friday would be the worst option for Munster fans. Probably have to take the time off on the Friday to travel over in time for Saturday anyways but could be delays in flights with Brexit. Then again Connacht are playing Sale away the Friday too so Brexit might not be a considerations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I don't understand the problem with a 12:45 ko. It gives you an excuse to start drinking in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It sucks for fans going to that game. But I'm very very excited for that day. Pints. Pints. Pints.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think the Friday would be the worst option for Munster fans. Probably have to take the time off on the Friday to travel over in time for Saturday anyways but could be delays in flights with Brexit. Then again Connacht are playing Sale away the Friday too so Brexit might not be a considerations.

I disagree. A lot will be going Friday to Sunday anyway. Friday night didn't keep the hoards out of Gloucester.

I disagree. A lot will be going Friday to Sunday anyway. Friday night didn't keep the hoards out of Gloucester.

Those fixtures were out in August though yeah and match not til January? Dunno did airlines get a chance to rise prices in advance. Bit different when match is just over 8 weeks away. Think anyone arriving in Friday evening could miss match if flights are delayed an hour or 2 with Brexit. Guess delays are always a possibility but the uncertainty of it isn't ideal. Hopefully it will have no or a very limited impact anyways.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Those fixtures were out in August though yeah and match not til January? Dunno did airlines get a chance to rise prices in advance. Bit different when match is just over 8 weeks away. Think anyone arriving in Friday evening could miss match if flights are delayed an hour or 2 with Brexit. Guess delays are always a possibility but the uncertainty of it isn't ideal. Hopefully it will have no or a very limited impact anyways.

Brexit doesn't happen until 11pm on the 29th. Anyone flying on the Friday will be grand. Flying Saturday or getting home could be another story ;) Also I'm confused as to how you think someone flying on a Friday could miss a match on Saturday over a 2 hour delay?

• Advertisement

Brexit doesn't happen until 11pm on the 29th. Anyone flying on the Friday will be grand. Flying Saturday or getting home could be another story ;) Also I'm confused as to how you think someone flying on a Friday could miss a match on Saturday over a 2 hour delay?

It is but there's no guarantee that there won't be impacts ahead of that. It's very much up in the air. That was in your reply that a game Friday evening wouldn't have made a difference. 2 hour delay to flights Friday evening would obviously make a difference..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

If there are connecting flights it could become an issue. Of course, you'd still have a day to find alternate routes - but probably a massive pain and/or at great cost at short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Pool 1: Leinster, Wasps, Toulouse, Bath
    Pool 2: Castres, Exeter Chiefs, Munster, Gloucester
    Pool 3: Saracens, Glasgow Warriors, Lyon, Cardiff Blues
    Pool 4: Scarlets*, Racing 92, Leicester Tigers, Ulster
    Pool 5: Montpellier, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Toulon

For 2019/20: The teams in bold are currently in automatic qualification positions in their respective leagues.

*Scarlets would play Connacht in a qualification playoff as it stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

bilston wrote: »
    I'm not confident!

But the one thing I would say is that it has been a while since we have had two full strength sides go head to head. You never know, but I'm not even sure I'd give us a 10% chance of winning. But it is a step forward for us just to be there.

It should be a good day out though.
    molloyjh wrote: »
    I’ve already given herself warning that I’ll be going out for pints after that one. Looking forward to it! Should we have a meet up of some sort?

In order to keep things civil between the Ulster and Leinster brethren, I've heard it on good authority that a strictly neutral Leinster-partial Swiss mediator is due to fly into Dublin for the match...:)

Extra Edinburgh flights put on by Ryanair

Friday and Sunday

Extra Edinburgh flights put on by Ryanair

Friday and Sunday

Pity they didn't announce them sooner before we had other flights booked.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Pity they didn't announce them sooner before we had other flights booked.

I was gambling that it would happen and put off booking flights from Belfast

From previous experience they regularly do this...Bordeaux last year was the same

Looked like 200e return was cheapest. Better than what's out there at the moment but not exactly cheap either!

That's a terrible choice of seats that are available to purchase for the Edinburgh match using the Munster Supporters link. They must be trying to sell the corners first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I was gambling that it would happen and put off booking flights from Belfast

From previous experience they regularly do this...Bordeaux last year was the same

You always play on the edge, riskymove

That's a terrible choice of seats that are available to purchase for the Edinburgh match using the Munster Supporters link. They must be trying to sell the corners first.

They're not great. Thought there has to be allocation in each price category but maybe there still is. Guess risk with the general sale is you'd be in with Edinburgh fans so at least with MRSC ones should at least be with Munster fans

General sale tomorrow at 10.00am.

Got a few Platinum tickets there now on the general sale. The West Stand isn't for sale.

Press release out from EPCR here about semi-final venues.

''Regarding the current season, the suitability of BT Murrayfield as a venue should Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow Warriors be scheduled to meet in Semi-final 1 of the Heineken Champions Cup will be assessed, while the 32,000-capacity Paris La Défense Arena will be considered along with other stadiums in France should Racing 92 qualify for Semi-final 2 on the weekend of 20/21 April.''

Guess for Leinster it would be Aviva anyways. Presumably Munster can't use Thomond and Ulster Kingspan so Aviva too.

Not sure it clears up much because venues still to be announced. Think it's usually day before qf weekend.

https://www.epcrugby.com/2019/02/13/heineken-champions-cup-semi-final-venues/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Well that's a big announcement in the grand scheme of things. They've basically just stated that Racing are likely to be allowed play the semi final at home if they qualify.

Leinster cannot have too many complaints given their situation regarding the Aviva but this is another leap forward. If a team is rich enough to own a good quality statium/ground, they'll potentially be allowed keep their semi final in that venue.

I would be far, far less optimistic about Leinster winning a semi final there now than I would have been if the game was elsewhere.

Overall, the statement sounds like it's trying to justify the possible move rather than just announce it:
    Following a recent meeting, the EPCR Board has decided to use its full discretion in selecting appropriate venues for Heineken Champions Cup semi-finals matches.

With key elements such as stadium capacity, commercial viability, operational suitability and location remaining paramount for the high-profile matches, EPCR will continue to designate the venues in conjunction with the recommendations of its stakeholders.

As a number of clubs now own or control premium venues which befit the status of a Heineken Champions Cup semi-final, EPCR will also consider the possibility of staging a semi-final at a home stadium of a qualified club.

Regarding the current season, the suitability of BT Murrayfield as a venue should Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow Warriors be scheduled to meet in Semi-final 1 of the Heineken Champions Cup will be assessed, while the 32,000-capacity Paris La Défense Arena will be considered along with other stadiums in France should Racing 92 qualify for Semi-final 2 on the weekend of 20/21 April.

This use of full discretion in selecting Heineken Champions Cup semi-final venues does not require any change to the governing rules and regulations

• Advertisement

Well that's a big announcement in the grand scheme of things. They've basically just stated that Racing are likely to be allowed play the semi final at home if they qualify.
    As a number of clubs now own or control premium venues which befit the status of a Heineken Champions Cup semi-final, EPCR will also consider the possibility of staging a semi-final at a home stadium of a qualified club.

yep, the no home stadium rule now out the window, along with the previous requirement of 40,000 capacity

Leinster cannot have too many complaints given their situation regarding the Aviva but this is another leap forward. If a team is rich enough to own a good quality statium/ground, they'll potentially be allowed keep their semi final in that venue.

I would be far, far less optimistic about Leinster winning a semi final there now than I would have been if the game was elsewhere.

Overall, the statement sounds like it's trying to justify the possible move rather than just announce it:

Yeah I thought they were fudging it a bit by saying ''32,000-capacity Paris La Défense Arena will be considered along with other stadiums in France''.

They don't mention capacity of Murrayfield (maybe not other options there) but find it interesting they do for La Defense, as if trying to justify having it there because of its capacity. Unless I'm reading too much.

Why only mention of those specific stadium then though? Would Munster have to use Aviva over Thomond Park if Racing can use La Defense?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah I thought they were fudging it a bit by saying ''32,000-capacity Paris La Défense Arena will be considered along with other stadiums in France''.

They don't mention capacity of Murrayfield (maybe not other options there) but find it interesting they do for La Defense, as if trying to justify having it there because of its capacity. Unless I'm reading too much.

Why only mention of those specific stadium then though? Would Munster have to use Aviva over Thomond Park if Racing can use La Defense?

EPCR pick the venue and they know full well that the Aviva will fill so they would have no interest in a semi in Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

West stand tickets in Murrayfield on sale now

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

They've had to throw their own rule book out the window after allowing Leinster use a non-neutral stadium for home semi-finals. I imagine the good folks at Racing may have raised this with EPCR Board.

• Advertisement

Flincher wrote: »
    They've had to throw their own rule book out the window after allowing Leinster use a non-neutral stadium for home semi-finals. I imagine the good folks at Racing may have raised this with EPCR Board.

Suppose issue is where else would they use bar Aviva? Technically RDS is home ground too. Whereas La Defense is Racing's only home ground but they may not have seen nuance alright! Same with Murrayfield but could be case of where else you would use too, specifically when Glasgow would be playing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Refs for quarters announced
    Edinburgh/Munster - Pascal Gauzere
    Saracens/Glasgow - Nigel Owens
    Leinster/Ulster - Romain Poite
    Racing/Toulouse - Luke Pearce

Refs for quarters announced
    Edinburgh/Munster - Pascal Gauzere
    Saracens/Glasgow - Nigel Owens
    Leinster/Ulster - Romain Poite
    Racing/Toulouse - Luke Pearce

Garces for semi with winner of Munster qf too. Barnes for semi with winner of Leinster qf.

so looks like

Barnes for Final unless Sarries in it

Sarries vs French Team - Owens

Sarries vs anyone else Garces

Some decent tickets released earlier yesterday for the Edinburgh game. I can’t understand why they didn’t release them first. And let them charge a premium price, if people were willing to pay at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Some decent tickets released earlier yesterday for the Edinburgh game. I can’t understand why they didn’t release them first. And let them charge a premium price, if people were willing to pay at the time.

They wanted to sell east first, because that's where the tv cameras face
    after that it's just sell the stadium as it goes..
    I imagine they were anxious about the attendance, and appearances matter first

in fairness it is quite common for a large stadium where they are not 100% about attendance

Croker for example often opens particular stands or maybe the lower tier only first etc until full

Think they were returns. Not sure if it was Munster because allocation wasn't being sold directly from Munster, was sold through Edinburgh site. Unless allocation for Munster wasn't fully sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I got an email from the SRU saying it was returns from ECPR and sponsors

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I got an email from the SRU saying it was returns from ECPR and sponsors

Ah that makes sense. Are you on their mailing list yeah? Know how many they have sold so far?

• Advertisement
Advertisement