Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I have a spare ticket for Edinburgh v Munster. It’s a good seat. Section E13, row O. £30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Potential Champions Cup semi-final venues announced.

Heineken Champions Cup semi-finals – 20/21 April

Semi-final 1: if Saracens v Edinburgh Rugby – Ricoh Arena (Coventry)

Semi-final 1: if Saracens v Munster Rugby – Ricoh Arena (Coventry)

Semi-final 1: if Edinburgh Rugby v Glasgow Warriors – BT Murrayfield (Edinburgh)

Semi-final 1: if Munster Rugby v Glasgow Warriors – Aviva Stadium (Dublin)

Semi-final 2: if Racing 92 v Leinster Rugby – Paris La Défense Arena

Semi-final 2: if Racing 92 v Ulster Rugby – Paris La Défense Arena

Semi-final 2: if Leinster Rugby v Toulouse – Aviva Stadium (Dublin)

Semi-final 2: if Ulster Rugby v Toulouse – Aviva Stadium (Dublin)

https://www.epcrugby.com/2019/03/14/heineken-champions-cup-semi-final-venues-announced/?fbclid=IwAR2KagfpQQ1h4U7n9goo5QAuZgyFc46gywoEvwI9-PBmas4zu4_DxOeh2Ao

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭typhoony

You've got to be optimistic if you're a Leinster or Ulster supporter, Toulouse have beaten Racing 92 twice already this season in the Top 14, so it's a Home semi-final for Leinster if they can get past Ulster, even in the unlikely event of Ulster winning a match in the Aviva would be made into a home game by the supporters travelling south. I expect Toulouse to win their quarter final meaning a Aviva sem-final whatever happens

Shag it. I thought it would have been Twickenham if it was Saracens v Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ghiraldini has ruptured his cruciate. That's a big blow for Toulouse since Marchand is already out for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ghiraldini has ruptured his cruciate. That's a big blow for Toulouse since Marchand is already out for the season.

Poor bloke. He looked like a player who knew he wasn't going to his last RWC.

Anyone know will more tickets for the final go on sale after the quarter-finals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone know will more tickets for the final go on sale after the quarter-finals?

Both of the teams are given a large allocation and I'm sure there will also be a small amount of returns/tickets held back for general sale.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    Both of the teams are given a large allocation and I'm sure there will also be a small amount of returns/tickets held back for general sale.

Ah cheers, yeah knew about the 2 finalists getting allocation but was wondering would any get released between now and then say..

Ah cheers, yeah knew about the 2 finalists getting allocation but was wondering would any get released between now and then say..

Probably not in any significant amount.

Give them an email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Contact EPCR....
    All depends on sales so far.

Interesting stats here. Shows advantage of getting a home quarter-final. Bit surprised by number of times 1st seed has lost though.

https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/1110173844105515009

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Interesting stats here. Shows advantage of getting a home quarter-final. Bit surprised by number of times 1st seed has lost though.

I wonder how often the number 1 seed was a team with one of the Italian teams in it's pool?

aloooof wrote: »
    I wonder how often the number 1 seed was a team with one of the Italian teams in it's pool?

Good shout. Had a quick look and looks like of the 7 times where 1st seed lost, 5 times there was an Italian team in their pool.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »

Seeing as how I'm such a legend.

04/05 top seed: Leinster (in a pool with Treviso)
    05/06 top seed: Toulouse (no Italian team)
    06/07 top seed: Biarritz (Parma)
    11/12 top seed: Munster (no Italian team)
    12/13 top seed: Harlequins (Zebre)
    13/14 top seed: Ulster (Treviso)
    14/15 top seed: Racing (Treviso)

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I really hate when professional commentators say this is down to home advantage. They're also seeded teams. The top 4 teams are also statistically likely to be better than the bottom 4 before home advantage is taken into it.

If you want an actually useful stat on this over the last 150 6 Nations games, the home team has won by an average of 5.17 points.

Over that time each team played each other team 5 times at home and 5 times away. There is no seeding. There is no element of picking a stronger team at home (like in the league) that might affect it. For the most part, it's large enough sample size with little muddying the water.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I really hate when professional commentators say this is down to home advantage. They're also seeded teams. The top 4 teams are also statistically likely to be better than the bottom 4 before home advantage is taken into it.

Ah you're right tbf. They are seeded but element of luck of the draw with the pool too of course, as seen with the 1st seeds with Italian teams in their pool losing to the 8th ones.

Would have thought 4th v 5th would have been tighter as both pool winners but apparently not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Would have thought 4th v 5th would have been tighter as both pool winners but apparently not.

Back pre-Champions Cup, you could include 3rd v 6th in this category as well.

It is tighter to be fair. 7.75 is the average home winning margin. Compared to 9.75, 14, 15.25 (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

For the record I think the randomness of the group stage is more complicated than having an easy "worst team". The most important thing for getting a top 2 seeding is having an easy "second best" team. It doesn't matter if your worst team is Bennetton, Cardiff or Bath - you're going to beat them home and away.

This year Leinster will get an away semi-final because the second best team in their pool was Toulouse. They could have had the St Michaels JCT team instead of Wasps and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

Having an Italian team made a HUGE difference for being a best runner up, particularly in the old 6 group format. A good example of this is the year Connacht, Toulouse and Wasps were all in the same pool as Zebre. Connacht as a third place team actually had enough points to qualify as a runner up. 18 points, four wins. Toulon qualified that year on 16.

• Advertisement

It is tighter to be fair. 7.75 is the average home winning margin. Compared to 9.75, 14, 15.25 (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

For the record I think the randomness of the group stage is more complicated than having an easy "worst team". The most important thing for getting a top 2 seeding is having an easy "second best" team. It doesn't matter if your worst team is Bennetton, Cardiff or Bath - you're going to beat them home and away.

This year Leinster will get an away semi-final because the second best team in their pool was Toulouse. They could have had the St Michaels JCT team instead of Wasps and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

Having an Italian team made a HUGE difference for being a best runner up, particularly in the old 6 group format. A good example of this is the year Connacht, Toulouse and Wasps were all in the same pool as Zebre. Connacht as a third place team actually had enough points to qualify as a runner up. 18 points, four wins. Toulon qualified that year on 16.

Yeah you're right. Guess the worst team aspect was more important when Italy had guaranteed team in Champions Cup. Lot of permutations at play, even something like whether a French team wins their opening 2 games will probably decide how much focus they put on competition. Same for other clubs too but maybe not as much.

Will be interesting to see how qfs, think Munster and maybe Toulouse could win their away matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Heineken Champions Cup

Nineteen clubs will qualify automatically for the 2019/20 Heineken Champions Cup in the following ways :.

Guinness PRO14 (7): The three highest ranked clubs from each conference. The fourth-ranked clubs from each conference will play off for the seventh place. (NB South African clubs are not eligible.)
    TOP 14 (6): The six highest-ranked clubs based on their final finishing positions.
    Gallagher Premiership Rugby (6): The six highest-ranked clubs based on their final finishing positions.

Current situation for 2019/20:

Guinness PRO14 (7):
    Leinster, Glasgow, Munster, Ulster, Connacht, Benetton, Cardiff or Edinburgh

TOP 14 (6):
    Toulouse, Clermont, Lyon, Racing, Castres, Bordeaux

Gallagher Premiership Rugby (6):
    Exeter, Saracens, Gloucester, Harlequins, Northampton Saints, Sale Sharks

Current situation for 2019/20:

Guinness PRO14 (7):
    Leinster, Glasgow, Munster, Ulster, Connacht, Benetton, Cardiff or Edinburgh

TOP 14 (6):
    Toulouse, Clermont, Lyon, Racing, Castres, Bordeaux

Gallagher Premiership Rugby (6):
    Exeter, Saracens, Gloucester, Harlequins, Northampton Saints, Sale Sharks

For 20th spot, teams in bold still in Champions Cup. Spot goes to winner if not already qualified, goes to next team due to qualify from winner's league if all the Challenge Cup criteria aren't met so looks unlikely.

Teams underlined still in Challenge Cup plus La Rochelle, Bristol and Worcester.
    Winner, losing finalist, losing semi-finalist/play-off with 2 losing semi-finalists if neither qualified.

Picture will be clearer after this weekend but looks likely to be 1 of the teams from Challenge Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Any word on what channels the rugby will be on next season? Can't keep up with who will have what

leakyboots wrote: »
    Any word on what channels the rugby will be on next season? Can't keep up with who will have what

Still BT afaik with Virgin and C4 having 1 free game per round

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

leakyboots wrote: »

It'll be the same as this season, but it looks like BT will be part of the Sky Sports package rather than the Eir Sports package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

It'll be the same as this season, but it looks like BT will be part of the Sky Sports package rather than the Eir Sports package.

When will that be announced do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think were in for a 1 or 2 shocks this weekend and the semis will be

Edinburgh vs Saracens
    Racing vs Ulster

Think Munster are not playing well enough too get over Edinburgh esp in Murrayfield. Hope I'm wrong but feel Munster wont get over the line

Sarries should have enough too get over Glasgow but Glasgow would of learnt a lot from the group matches

Toulouse vs Racing could be close but Racing have it in them too win well

Beating the ****e out of each other might be what the Ulster and Leinster Irish panelists need and I think Ulster will get over the line vs Leinster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Edinburgh can't be at home in the semi unless Glasgow beat Sarries.

Also you can take absolutely nothing from Munsters recent form minus 10 first teamers. Carbery and Farrell especially, make Munster a completely different beast.

Last general sale of tickets going on sale tomorrow morning. 1,000 left and after that will be allocation for finalists and hospitality. 40,000 sold so far and capacity according to wiki is 52,354.

Doesn't leave many tickets specifically for finalists. Bit mad they're selling them before quarter-finals.

https://twitter.com/FalconsRugby/status/1111201579309457408

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Think were in for a 1 or 2 shocks this weekend and the semis will be

Edinburgh vs Saracens
    Racing vs Ulster

Think Munster are not playing well enough too get over Edinburgh esp in Murrayfield. Hope I'm wrong but feel Munster wont get over the line

Sarries should have enough too get over Glasgow but Glasgow would of learnt a lot from the group matches

Toulouse vs Racing could be close but Racing have it in them too win well

Beating the ****e out of each other might be what the Ulster and Leinster Irish panelists need and I think Ulster will get over the line vs Leinster

I would say you’ll be wrong on 3 out of 4 there.
    Last general sale of tickets going on sale tomorrow morning. 1,000 left and after that will be allocation for finalists and hospitality. 40,000 sold so far and capacity according to wiki is 52,354.

Doesn't leave many tickets specifically for finalists. Bit mad they're selling them before quarter-finals.

Was the same last year, you will have fans of all the quarter finalists buying tickets on spec. Then loads will be up for resale in the weeks leading up to the game. There were loads of empty seats in Bilbao despite it being totally sold out.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Was the same last year, you will have fans of all the quarter finalists buying tickets on spec. Then loads will be up for resale in the weeks leading up to the game. There were loads of empty seats in Bilbao despite it being totally sold out.

I was trying to organise tickets for 8 lads who had booked the Challenge Cup final accidentally instead last year, and it was hard to get tickets. I know a lot of people didn't end up going, but they didn't seem to re-sell their allocation. They just didn't show.

stephen_n wrote: »

Yeah I was at the final last year but bought in advance as I was going anyway. Same this year as wouldn't be overly confident of Munster making the final.

I guess organisers don't care if tickets are sold regardless but think it would be better to wait til there were 4 teams left after this weekend to put them up for sale. The fans going anyway will be going regardless but like you say risks fans with tickets not showing up.

Doesn't make it a great spectator event in person or on tv if there's a fair few empty seats. Don't think they have a ticket resale site either so any resale will be unofficial and fairly organised. For the sake of a few days you'd think they'd hold off.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There'll be a lot of final tickets on sale in Dublin after the weekend. Wouldn't worry.

awec wrote: »
    There'll be a lot of final tickets on sale in Dublin after the weekend. Wouldn't worry.

Why would Ulster fans be bringing their final tickets to the match?:S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I was getting excited thinking I might get the three tickets I need until I read the link and they are being sold directly from the box office and not online :(

I was getting excited thinking I might get the three tickets I need until I read the link and they are being sold directly from the box office and not online :(

It's phrased badly but looks like they should be on sale online from this link alright https://book.nufc.co.uk/en-GB/categories/newcastle%202019%20rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »

The Ulster fans will be offloading them leaving the Aviva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

The price of flights is a bit of an eye opener for that weekend. Ryanair are expensive enough but Aer Lingus are taking the p.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    The price of flights is a bit of an eye opener for that weekend. Ryanair are expensive enough but Aer Lingus are taking the p.

They always do, their ''proud sponsorship of Irish rugby'' doesn't mean much to fans when they're willing to hike up the price of flights.

Booked for €100 return with Ryanair Dublin-Edinburgh back in October. Must have been pricey going to Newcastle even back then too.

I don't really know what fans expect Airlines to do in this situation.

Imagine they normally operate at 80% capacity (which would be low). There are what, 8 flights per day into Newcastle, Edinburgh and Leeds from Dublin total. So their total spare capacity is 8 * ~40. So you only need 300 Leinster fans and you've booked up all the planes.

If those flights were still the normal price (30e or whatever), touts would find a way to buy them and sell them on or something.

I don't really know what fans expect Airlines to do in this situation.

Imagine they normally operate at 80% capacity (which would be low). There are what, 8 flights per day into Newcastle, Edinburgh and Leeds from Dublin total. So their total spare capacity is 8 * ~40. So you only need 300 Leinster fans and you've booked up all the planes.

If those flights were still the normal price (30e or whatever), touts would find a way to buy them and sell them on or something.

That's what I expect them to do which is why I book in advance if I am going. They've obviously calculated that they can sell the maximum number of seats at whatever price and most of the times they do. Just think there should be a balance between selling flights at a profit and selling at 300%-500% of usual price. That wouldn't be for them to do, maybe the EU imposing a cap but don't see it happening and it's probably for another forum.

Think the name change fee is usually the deterrent to avoid mass buying and selling of flights so as far as I'm aware it's pretty much non-existent as a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

if flights come close to selling out they'll put on extra

always happens you just need to be monitoring

got flights to Edinburgh this weekend and Bordeaux last year this way. Not ultra cheap but a lot less than the price was for existing flights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Flight prices are worked out by a computer algorithm. Demand goes up = prices go up, this is the way of the world.

If you want a cheap flight, you take your chances and book before you know if your team is actually going to be playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I was looking to fly to Newcastle on the Friday and home on the Sunday, and in December the flights were in and around 400 quid return :eek:. So we are flying to Edinburgh and getting a train instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Flight prices are worked out by a computer algorithm. Demand goes up = prices go up, this is the way of the world.

If you want a cheap flight, you take your chances and book before you know if your team is actually going to be playing.
    Exactly, bought tickets for the game before Christmas. Booked flights to Leeds/Bradford for a fraction of the Newcastle flight costs.
    But Aer Lingus..... Team of us? Screw em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I was looking to fly to Newcastle on the Friday and home on the Sunday, and in December the flights were in and around 400 quid return :eek:. So we are flying to Edinburgh and getting a train instead!

That train journey has some great views, particularly around Berwick-upon-Tweed. I did it travelling to the 2017 final.

That train journey has some great views, particularly around Berwick-upon-Tweed. I did it travelling to the 2017 final.

Berwick-upon-Tweed has to be a fictional location in Toyland. There's no way such a ridiculous place exists outside of the Noddy Cinematic Universe (NCU).

troyzer wrote: »
    Berwick-upon-Tweed has to be a fictional location in Toyland. There's no way such a ridiculous place exists outside of the Noddy Cinematic Universe (NCU).

Sounds like a place Jacob Rees Mogg would be from..

Sounds like a place Jacob Rees Mogg would be from..

Who's that? Is he the baddie in Noddy? Sounds like it....

• Advertisement
Advertisement