Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble editing part of a word doc

Options
  • 11-06-2018 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭

I am currently filling out an application form which is a word document. There are 8 parts which I have been able to fill in without any issue, however, the final part which is the deceleration I am to sign and date will not permit me to edit. When I click on the the line to sign, it brings me back to the first page.

Any ideas around this or is it insisting I print, sign and scan it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Is it online document or locally stored copy?

Go FILE to see if document or part of it is protected

453111.PNG

Or go Review tab on the ribbon, , in the Protect group, click Restrict Editing and tick "Highlight the regions I can edit"

453112.PNG
    Samples given from Office 2016 Pro Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Further more....
    If document(locally stored copy) is protected within Word and you have no password, you can overcome it by opening it with non-Microsoft application, or simply "Save As" document.PDF, then open that pdf with Word.
    Protection will be removed, but be mindful - during conversion some original formatting might be lost/distorted

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For general weirdness in Word try

Ctrl-A to select all and then paste it into a new document

Backup and delete the default normal template, Word will recreate a new one, then copy the contents of the original doc and paste into Word

As above open the doc in a non-microsoft product , save as and or copy all into a new doc.

Try saving as an older Word format especially a non-compressed one , to "realign" or remove features you don't need

But before you do all that enable the always create backup copy options , and use Save As ofte because Word still isn't ready for production IMHO.

If you do Ctrl-A and then release the Ctrl key first , cograts you have replaced the doc in memory with the letter A, after 10 minutes when auto-save kicks in you've overwritten the stored copy, and are now relying completely on Word's recovery features. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe you need to sign it with a pen like in the olden days?

Advertisement