Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Berberis

Options
  • 11-06-2018 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

HI
    I dont garden, but Berberis plants were here when I moved in. Two of them have totally dies & another is sick. I have another two healthy ones, but Im afraid they too will die.

I would appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

HI
    I dont garden, but Berberis plants were here when I moved in. Two of them have totally dies & another is sick. I have another two healthy ones, but Im afraid they too will die.

I would appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks!

What kind of berberis are they.
    Are they planted long and near each other.
    Berberis are usually a vey resilient shrub. Usually only need a hard cutting every year to prevent them becomming very woody.

Would it have something to do with the dry spell we have had. If there planted in bed close to walls house etc the ground could be well dry.
    Have you ever cut them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SthEstGardener

Thanks for your reply.

They are against a huge wall, they are about 10ft apart & they have been there about 14 years. They have white flowers, but not sure if there is a specific name on that type.
    If it means anything, a vine on the same wall with dark green spade (as in the playing card) shaped leaves totally died. All the leaves just died & now only the branches of the vine are left. I think the other one that's there is also dying.
    No one has been near therm as its my back garden & I havent put anything in the ground or I have never had to water them.

Again, Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Only thing I could suggest is that they have dired up due to the very warm and dry spell we have had.
    Soil can dry up against walls and large established shrubs can need a lot of moisture.
    Is the soil very dry. Dig down around 6 or more inches and check.
    If its dry then that could be the cause.

If its not that then it could be a fungus or some Aphid attack.
    If you have a look at the uderside of the leaves you would notice the aphids.
    Have a look at the base of the dead plants to see if there are any sticky substances then it could be a fungus.

I'm no expert so thats the best I can offer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Can you post up a pic? Can't imagine they are berberis if they have white flowers, berberis are yellow and have yellow wood.

More likely to be pyracantha if they're thorny. Also the recent dry spell couldn't have such a drastic effect on well established plants, a more likely culprit is waterlogging over winter which has been much more prevalent over the last few years. A continuously affected plant will slowly sicken and die over time.

Advertisement