Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Router tables?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

for money like that you would be better off putting it into good parts instead of a total solution thats ok
    look at incra etc router table plates.

no point spending money on stuff you can do yourself . better parts will allow you to make a better table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

That seems the best route alright (urgh the pun!) - I think it was just laziness that had me looking at the budget complete options.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Its a big market out there and not cheap either.I have a Jessem table with a Woodpecker lift. Ideally a router table should have:
    1. Complete dust extraction - they throw out a lot of dust.
    2. Adjustable front fence ( to avoid sticking on shims with some cuts )
    3 T slots on the fence and table for attaching featherboards.
    4. A router lift of some sort - avoid the bicycle chain types -they clog with dust.
    5 . Sliding fences to create a large gap for big bits.
    6 A system for using ring inserts around the bit - essential to stop small pieces snagging.
    By the time you find a commercial table with all of this you are into lottery money so for a first timer I think its worth making one out of 18 mm ply. I also think its worth having separate 1/4" and 1/2" dedicated tables . With experience you will learn what you do ( and don't ) need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Now we are into the realm of a low end spindle molder/shaper:
    https://my-tools.ie/products/charnwood-w030-spindle-moulder-2. ;):):roll eyes:

Occasionally on Tim's Way Out West YouTube channel you see him using his spindle moulder - terrifying machines,

Infamous for blades working their way loose and flying across the workshop. My Dad described seeing it happen one time back in the late '70s - I must ask him where that was now that I think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i remember someone here saying that their sister is a nurse, and the spindle moulder is the only woodworking machine she can name; and not for good reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

I think they are both dangerous and it really comes down to proper set up...using sliding tables, sleds and hold downs...predicting what can happen and avoiding it...understanding the movement of the cutter relative to the wood, the forces etc..taking multiple passes and removing less material at a time. You must stay in control and not be guessing.
    If I get uneasy about a procedure I don't do it.

When I think “Spindle Molder" , I think "Power Feeder". I do not have that thought using a router table. Power feeders improve safety. They also improve quality.

Occasionally on Tim's Way Out West YouTube channel you see him using his spindle moulder - terrifying machines,

Infamous for blades working their way loose and flying across the workshop. My Dad described seeing it happen one time back in the late '70s - I must ask him where that was now that I think of it.

Things like English and French Heads ( which used to throw out knives ) are now banned.
    The use of the Universal block or even solid blocks are quite safe if used with a little common sense. The only downside is their ungodly cost I think a spindle moulder is better for large scale joinery but really should be combined with a power feed and excellent extraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭dathi

Strangely I ended up purchasing something that wasn't on my original list.

A local dealer had a Triton TWX7RT001 in stock and let me borrow it for a few weeks to test drive, it saved me a lot of work so I bought it (without the MFT - I'll make my own permanent table for it).

Initial results are good, including dust extraction, where I use a twin motor set up through a cyclone.

The bad; the leveling mechanism for the insert plates is crud. The horizontal feather boards rely on a track in the MFT rather than the router module, which I didn't realise until I went to put them on.

The good; because it's Triton my router just clicks straight in and the integrated lift mechanism on my M0F001 is natively supported. The fence has two means of fixing making it very sturdy, the vertical feather boards work really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread however I was looking at the Bosch RA1181 Router table.
    I have a Makita RT0700 router and I'm wondering if it will be suitable to mount in this table.
    I cant see if the height adjustment would work when its set into this table. Any help is appreciated.

You might find that Bosch publish a compatibility list with some sort of rating about what level of compatibility there is. Also, I have a feeling that it's not an official european market table for Bosch, so you could run into difficulty with support depending on who the retailer is.

Homedepot have the manual online; there is some limited compatibility information in there (including a couple of Makita references):

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/48/484bf812-f1db-442e-a065-656b472ad729.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

You might find that Bosch publish a compatibility list with some sort of rating about what level of compatibility there is. Also, I have a feeling that it's not an official european market table for Bosch, so you could run into difficulty with support depending on who the retailer is.

Homedepot have the manual online; there is some limited compatibility information in there (including a couple of Makita references):

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/48/484bf812-f1db-442e-a065-656b472ad729.pdf
    Thanks Chillispoon,
    I had no idea it wasn't available here. Its a pity as it seems perfect for what I want.
    I recently saw this and I've been thinking of purchasing it but as I dont have a dedicated work table I'm not sure if I could find a place to mount it. Plus its pretty bloody expensive for what it is

It wouldn't take long to knock up a little frame stand or even a fancy cabinet for that if you have the time. E.g. just the cabinet part of something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EYJdKTVeKM or a basic frame like this that you could mount the UJK unit into:

461090.png

That said, I've got my router table sitting on a Lidl "workmate" because there's always something higher on the priority list than building a stand for the router table!

I've got some UJK t-track and hold downs by the way; they're nicely made.

An inset plate to hold the router is pretty much essential as routers have a limited rise and fall. The aluminium plates are reasonably priced and available online.

Advertisement